9.0 quake hits Japan

Cracker1234

Well if, as is being rumoured*, there are 88,000 people unaccounted for/missing - and you'd think given the scale of it that that's by no means impossible - then it really doesn't bear thinking about.

* - I can't find an original link, only the constantly reproduced rumour of it via twatterings etc.

Well if, as is being rumoured, there are 88,000 people unaccounted for/missing - and you'd think given the scale of it that that's by no means impossible - then it really doesn't bear thinking about.

Thats what i mean, i dont think i really want to accept how many lives could be lost. Are we talking, one of the worst natural disasters of all time?

* - I can't find an original link, only the constantly reproduced rumour of it via twatterings etc.

I originally saw it on the BBC live feeds bit but it now says:

Japan's Kyodo news agency is now saying the death toll has risen to 137, with 531 people missing.

I originally saw it on the BBC live feeds bit but it now says:

Japan's Kyodo news agency is now saying the death toll has risen to 137, with 531 people missing.

Yeah one is a confirmed death toll, the other is people missing or unaccounted for. I think they probably don't want to let it be known just how many people are unaccounted for until they have to. No point further panicking people.

Is that even possible?!?!

Of course it is. "Eh folks we seem to be missing the top half of our country" - would probably do the trick !!

Well if, as is being rumoured, there are 88,000 people unaccounted for/missing - and you'd think given the scale of it that that's by no means impossible - then it really doesn't bear thinking about.

Thats what i mean, i dont think i really want to accept how many lives could be lost. Are we talking, one of the worst natural disasters of all time?

227,898 dead off the west coast of northern Sumatra in 2004.

Is that even possible?!?!

Of course it is. "Eh folks we seem to be missing the top half of our country" - would probably do the trick !!

or "Eh folks, well you know that nuclear power plant with the broken cooling chamber...we'll we've got some bad news..."

Im struggling to get my head round exactly how bad this is!?!?! I know its bad just cant comprehend on what scale of bad.

Seismologists are saying it's the most devastating quake in Japan for over a thousand years, sixth most powerful in the world since measurements have been taken, and 8,000 times more powerful than the recent NZ quake.

How densely populated is Northern Japan? If the majority of it countryside, I'd presume it's relatively sporadic.

I don't think it'll be as bad as '04, thankfully.

2nd train unaccounted for :(

How densely populated is Northern Japan? If the majority of it countryside, I'd presume it's relatively sporadic.

I don't think it'll be as bad as '04, thankfully.

2nd train unaccounted for :(

A1Haj.png

It's fairly rural. Most people in Japan live in Tokyo, which has a population of about 35 million (!) and then the population is mostly centred along the south coast heading westwards towards Osaka.

There is a red area north of Tokyo on this map though, near the star, and that is Sendai, where about a million people live. Sendai got hit hard.

I cant see the casualty numbers being anything like the ones following the Boxing Day Tsunami in 2004, but they will be big. Luckily Japan is a developed country where they have lots of resources and strict building regulations about making buildings earthquake proof. I think the city centres held up remarkably well given the magnitude of the quake and how densely populated city centres are.

The people in Japan are pretty clued up on what to do in the event of an earthquake. They get lots of quakes over there so they teach their kids about how to behave in earthquakes at school. The emergency services have plans of action in how to deal with this kind of thing, so all in all I think Japan is the best equipped country in the world to handle this. The death toll will still be very very high, but thanks to a lot of foresight, I think countless lives have been saved too.

Radiation 1,000 times above normal around the plant, for somebody who knows nothing about how bad that is (to me it sounds really bad) how bad is it exactly?

Not being a scientist, I'd say it's about a thousand times worse than normal.

In fact if I lived there, I'd get the **** out.

Please note that I am not a scientist, and my opinions should accordingly be treated with scorn.

Â