quitting smoking

leemond2008

I am sure there was another topic about this but I did a search and couldnt find anything.

Any way I have finally decided to give quitting a real go after about 12 years of smoking (i'm 25 now been smoking since i was about 13/14)

my last cigarette was on tuesday at about 7:50 and I have been on patches since then, at the moment I am not finding it that difficult though which is suprising (not sure if that is down to the patches or the fact that I really do wanto quit)

I was ready to kill someone yesterday at about 3:00pm and struggled a bit when I got home from work at about 5:30pm but other than that its been alright, obviously I havent been to the pub yet which I know is going to be a killer but I have to face that demon tonight as i'm going to a gig.

any hints or tips from anyone else?

so far I have got-

1-a little plastic thing that is shaped a bit like a cigarette that I can play around with to give my hands something to do

2-I have only told 3 people (my smoking buddy at work my flatmate and one other mate and all are being pretty supportive at the moment)

3-trying to break routines, walking a different route to my bus stop when going to and from work and just generally trying not to take the same routes that I do when I usually light up

4-well yesterday I got in from work and to beat the craving I had 4 cans of lager which seemed to work, though I dont wanto quit an addiction to nicotine in exchange to one for alcohol

by the way I was smoking on average between 15 and 20 a day and the reason for quitting is that it is simply far too expensive

Ive been quit now 14 months, best thing i ever did. I was also smoking 20 a day.

You've got to want to do it, the 1st week is by far the hardest. When ever i had a craving i just used to tell myself "it will only last for 3 minutes...it will only last for 3 minutes..." and it worked for me.

I dont crave anymore, but thats not to say i wouldnt like one...if you know what i mean.

Think of something else. Distract yourself from smoking. It's like if you're running out of steam on a hike, I get into an indepth conversation with someone, or if I'm on my own i think about something. Remind your body your mind is in control, not vice-versa. Above all good luck mate, quitting smoking is one of the best tihngs you can do. Set up a pot for money saved instead of buying fags, see how much you save. The financial incentives are there.

yeah thats why I say in the opening post 'not sure if that is down to the patches or the fact that I really do wanto quit'

my plan to start off with is to keep £5 a day aside and then at the end of each week go out and buy myself a game or a few dvd's out of what I have saved so that I can see something for it

then once I have managed to stick to it for a month or so I mite start thinking about using the money for driving lessons

then when I can drive I mite try and take over the world in my monster truck (or something along them lines)

tonight will be by far the hardest test at the gig. If you make it home without having one you will feel great. I smoked since i was 14, i managed to quit for 6 months untill i went to ibiza for a week and started again. I am only a social smoker though, i last smoked on saturday at a house party and wont smoke again untill im drinking before the villa game on sat

Good luck mate. Never had to do it myself so don't know how hard it is, but I'm sure you can do it.

I did smoke for a while, still do very occasionally when I'm out with others who smoke. But never been properly addicted. Haven't had one since xmas and don't even think about it.

My only advice would be to tell EVERYONE that you're quitting. the more support you have, the easier it will be.

All it would take is for someone to offer you a cigarette and you might buckle and take it. If that person already knew you were quitting, they wouldn't make the offer and you wouldn't have the chance to buckle!

I would love to be able to just have 1 or 2 when out drinking, but unfortunatly its all or nothing for me. I know mates who can go weeks without even craving then have 10 fags on a night out then not bother for a couple more weeks.

Off to the 'Things that piss me off' thread...

Yeh that's basically me.

Went on holiday with my gf (at the time) last year in teneriffe. She's a smoker and i'd smoke loads when I was around her so I smoked about 20 a day for 10 days. Then came back home and didn't smoke for about a month.

My only advice would be to tell EVERYONE that you're quitting. the more support you have, the easier it will be.

All it would take is for someone to offer you a cigarette and you might buckle and take it. If that person already knew you were quitting, they wouldn't make the offer and you wouldn't have the chance to buckle!

Nah last time I tried to quit I let everyone know and the worst thing imaginable is when you are struggling enough to get by without thinking about it only to have everyone you speak to ask ''are you still quitting?'' ''have you had a fag yet'' ''how are you feeling without smoking?''

if they dont know I am quitting they wont mention it

it is simply far too expensive

:thumb:

And the odd thing is that a lot of smokers are poor working class people, puts an even greater strain on finances for something that frankly IMO is a total waste of money, no utility whatsoever.

i have never smoked so maybe i am not the best person to offer advice..but what i can do is advise of a handy little trick my brother is using. when he is driving out, he had the habit to have a fag but now what he uses is a lollipop instead of the fag and then gradually he decreased the usage and doesnt need the lollipops anymore.

in addition the nhs now offers a smoking cessation clinic for people that want to quit, anyone can go, go to your GP it helps a hell of a lot of people.

finally there is also another thing ive seen that you can order off the net, its not approved by the government (for money reasons obviously) but its a fake cigarette you blow and lights up like a normal fag, but there is no nicotine or tar in it and its run with water so you only blow out steam. my friends used it and it helped him get over it completely

hope that helps, good luck and dont crumble at first obstacle you will feel great afterwards

I quit smoking last May, under surgeons orders because bones don't heal as well if you smoke. I smoked 15 a day and stopped just like that and tbh didn't find it all that difficult, because I knew I had to stop.

Doesn't sound like you too much advice mate, but when I found myself wanting one told myself no and tried to flick a switch in my head.

Good luck anyway.

Interestingly enough I've been smoking close to 3 years. However, over the last 2-3 months or so I've been cutting down. I didn't plan on quitting but I just haven't had the urge to smoke. I honestly think I am going off them. People say it is best to cut down slowly, rather than immediately go off them.

The last time I had a smoke was on Saturday night. I will smoke when I drink, but during the week no I don't really smoke now at all.

I'm currently on day 55 of my no smoking resolution.

Haven't used any 'stop smoking' aids or anything. Feeling great.

Came close to having on during the Ravens - Steelers play off match but I got through that by having a Stella instead :lol:

Â