quitting smoking

leemond2008

What is the best brand to smoke in terms of quality against price? My boss smokes Royals but the box looks cheap so they're a no. If i started, i think id go for marlboro or amber leaf rollies. Got a mate who smokes Jin-Ling (i think its called that?) smells nice.

I realise this helps in no way what so ever so erm...yeah! keep going! :thumb:

Jin-Ling are 'fake' Camels. You can get them from under the counter at my local shop for £2.50 if you know the secret handshake.

• 2 months later...

So i have been off them for 3 weeks now, patches are great, aside from when drinking dont even really have a craving. However i have had the worst sore throat and cough since i gave them up. Anyone else go through this?

Your mind will play dirty tricks on you to get you to justify having a smoke....don't give in to that temptation, that's the addiction slithering around your head.

Patches etc. are just a crutch. At the end of the day, it's mind over matter, pure will power. It can be done, and it's actually much easier than you might think at first.

I smoked a pack a day for 15 years, and I've been off them cold turkey for almost 10 now.

Good luck, you can do it.

Quit 6 months ago and the first week was the hardest, by a long way. On top of the already ridiculous amount of food I was eating, gummi bears and smarties were getting consumed at a horrific rate! I don't think about it too much, just every now and again I miss it, but it passes! Good luck!

• 6 months later...

Thought I would drag this thread back up as I failed miserably last time but i'm back on the quitting game

I recon I can do it this time because its not the fact that its expensive or anything its purely because I just dont wanto smoke anymore

onto my second day and finding it a piece of piss so far

Thought I would drag this thread back up as I failed miserably last time but i'm back on the quitting game

I recon I can do it this time because its not the fact that its expensive or anything its purely because I just dont wanto smoke anymore

onto my second day and finding it a piece of piss so far

You've cracked it already mate.

I smoked from when I was 15 till I was 36. Had a few spells where I quit simply because I thought it was getting too expensive etc and after a few weeks at the most found myself back on them.

Then on January 4th 2010 pretty much out of the blue I just decided I've had enough of this I don't want to smoke any more and that was that. An anywhere between 10 and 20 odd a day 21 year habit was no more. I found it easy as I was quitting for no other reason than I wanted to. I'd simply had enough.

Its all in the mind and if you've simply come to the conclusion that's it you'll piss it.

Evry person i know that has quit smoking has done so with the help of snus.. Snus is also addictive but is not bad for your health

I'm convinced snus is the second most addictive "vice" after heroin. I've been doing it since I was 17 and I can't imagine being able to quit. It's seven times the amount of nicotine compared to a cigarette straight into your bloodstream. I can't go two hours without it. I don't want to quit and I don't think I could do it.

I wouldn't say it isn't bad for your health either. There must be adverse health effects to exposing your bloodstream to that much nicotine. But there is no proven link to cancer and many (most?) male Norwegian athletes use the stuff.

It is a lot better than smoking though and your health could benefit greatly by switching from fags to snus. That cigarettes are legal in the EU and not snus is, from a public health perspective, bonkers.

If you smoke do you expect help from the NHS if in years to come god forbid something bad happens because of your smoking? I suppose its the same if your overweight now will you expect hand outs in years to come because of it...?

Do you expect help from the NHS if you break your arm riding your bike? Or have a car accident?

Yes of course you do.

Now stop being so **** silly.

Yours

Another Non Smoker.

As long as this is only about tobacco, then I stopped almost 2 years ago after 20 years.

Wasn´t as hard as I expected but then it was my own decision. Not forced on me.

It almost made me feel like a traitor and I would probably have stopped earlier but the crusade made me stubborn.

Still hang out with the smokers though. ;)

Quit it more than 4 years ago without the help of any patches, gums, food or whatever. Used to smoke a pack a day, then went straight to 0 cigarettes, no periods of reduced numbers and so on. Worked for me. I still feel like I'd fancy a smoke every day, but it passes very easily and besides even if I do, it'd taste awful.

Still though, if I were able to smoke a pack a week and not per day I would have never even tried quitting it, it has its good sides when you do it only from time to time.

Ok then I have had a major wobble tonight it was my uncles funeral and I done really well untill I met up with my mate afterwards and it was probably a bad time to be quitting with the beer flowing but I ain't gunna stop now, I have done well so as of tomorrow I am back on the quitting game and I'm still convinced I can do it

Â