quitting smoking

leemond2008

7 days of quitting now

I think ive cracked it, I had a few on saturday but that was innevitable as it was my mates birthday and we were all on a major session.

Today I havent even had so much as a craving and I noticed last night that I hadnt thought about it as much as what I normally do.

at what point do you think you can stop classing yourself a smoker who is attempting to quit and think of yourself as a non smoker?

If you smoke do you expect help from the NHS if in years to come god forbid something bad happens because of your smoking? I suppose its the same if your overweight now will you expect hand outs in years to come because of it...?

The amount smokers pay in tax outweighs the amount they cost the NHS extremely comfortably.

Again, this is from a non-smoker.

• 1 month later...

The other half has been trying to quit for 6 months.

Patches, mouth spray, mints...non of them worked.

Then I got her Allen Carr's book...and I can't believe she quit as soon as the last page was turned, I'm very proud of her!

Well done to those who have taken the step towards quitting.

I've been trying but at the moment I'm not in the right place mentally to undertake it, but I have cut down. I'm only having like 5 a day now, sometimes less. If I'm out on a weekend and on the drink that will double over the course of the evening however.

The other half has been trying to quit for 6 months.

Patches, mouth spray, mints...non of them worked.

Then I got her Allen Carr's book...and I can't believe she quit as soon as the last page was turned, I'm very proud of her!

Tis excellent, I used it once before and it worked then 8 months later I was back. I have though been smoke free for over a year now and essentially I used the mantra from the book to control my willpower.

All the patches, spray etc do is keep nicotine in your body. The book just teaches you how weak-willed and pathetic you are :-)

at what point do you think you can stop classing yourself a smoker who is attempting to quit and think of yourself as a non smoker?

You will always be a smoker in a sense...just that you havnt had one for x amount of years. Ive been off them 2 years now and still get a craving every now and again and still like the smell of a freshly lit ciggy.

I've quit smoking since new year. Well, i say quit, i still smoke when at the pub, but that's it.

As long as i'm not smoking when not in a pub, i'm happy with that!

It's easy, just dont put a fag in your mouth.

When i first quit, that was my aim mate. A couple fags when having a beer and playing golf, but i just cant/couldnt do it.

A couple of my mates can do it, they might go 2 or 3 weeks without a fag then have a couple when out on the lash, then wake up next morning without cravings or being bothered by it. I suppose it depends on the individual and what type of personality you have.

When i first quit, that was my aim mate. A couple fags when having a beer and playing golf, but i just cant/couldnt do it.

A couple of my mates can do it, they might go 2 or 3 weeks without a fag then have a couple when out on the lash, then wake up next morning without cravings or being bothered by it. I suppose it depends on the individual and what type of personality you have.

Yeah I've got friends who do that too! I've tried on many occasions to have that mentality but always failed. But this time for some strange reason it just seems really easy. I think I must have just convinced myself so much that smoking is wrong when not drinking the idea of it repulses me a bit.

I don't really have any advice on how to do it, it just happened, so i'm pretty useless (as always) :lol:

In my later smoking days I was a "social smoker" - only smoked in the evenings, usually with a drink. Never could face one first thing in the morning (same as with booze), and never liked smoking out of doors.

Then I stopped, and went down to one or two a year, usually at Xmas. Then dropped even that. Never found it difficult to do so.

7 days of quitting now

I think ive cracked it, I had a few on saturday but that was innevitable as it was my mates birthday and we were all on a major session.

Today I havent even had so much as a craving and I noticed last night that I hadnt thought about it as much as what I normally do.

You are a non-smoker when you lose the final craving. I would put that at around 10 years.

Thankfully withdrawal is much shorter, and if you don't weaken (like last Saturday), you should be through it in a few weeks.

I smoked only at the pub only for years, then it led to one when i got in from work, one when the kids went to bed..........after a few years it was 3-4 a day and 10 when i was on the lash, the only way to really quit is to do it 100% Any other way and your just prolonging the pain of quitting over years/ months.......

18 days off and counting. Some days with a patch and some days cold turkey. It really hasnt been that hard (15 years on 20 a day), its all habbit. I have had to stay out of the bars though, especially because you can still smoke everywhere over here. Hardest part is still after eating.

Good luck to everyone.

Day 1 for me.

Haven't had a drink in 2012, so I thought while I was off the booze, I may as well try and give up the smokes as well.

On the patches, so I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.

I think that I am ready to quit. I hope I am anyway. Recently I have found that I feel absolutely no different after a cigarette than I did before lighting up. And while I won't have alcohol to test my willpower, I am going to give it a shot.

I have also realised how much money I am saving by not boozing, if I can knock the old 'coffin nails' on the head, I will be saving some serious cash.

But I am doing it for my general well-being, not to save money.

I've never quite understood patches. Though, have never tried them.

By taking them you continue being addicted to nicotene, surely having a cigarette will always be on the mind, or at least the temptation? Plus, patches cost a fortune too! (well they did a few years back)

Â