Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Didn't pull up any trees, but I liked the way he was available to receive a pass - even though 9 times out of 10 he wasn't given the ball. His passing was usually first-time and accurate, rather than some in our midfield who want too many touches or force it forward too early and lose possession. He'll be fine when he gets his fitness sorted & other players know how he likes to play.

Agree with this 100%. Looked very neat and tidy and never gave the ball away under pressure. Unlike some of our more experienced players.

actually he did give it away, more than anyone else in the 57 minutes he was on the pitch

did he? where's the stats from? i was under the impression he didn't so im open to stats.

chalkboards, his pass completion was 21 out of 32, thats giving the ball away 11 times in 32 attempts

5 of which were headers as said. If he's winning a header being competitive, he's not always going to be able to perfectly accurately head into a player. Speaking of heading, he does get up well for a fairly small man.

they were unsuccessful headers (if headers actually count as passes, I suspect most are interceptions or ignored completely), he gave the ball away 11 times, in that same time frame NRC gave the ball away twice in 30 attempts and went on to not miss another pass in the next 33 minutes

It'll probably take him the rest of this season to play catch up physically and mentally. He might need to follow Gabby into the gym to get on the weights but I think he'll be a major asset to the club next season. Cameo roles over the next couple of months, bearing in mind that we are not playing too many from the top six, will do him the world of good. Good, sharp passer.

they were unsuccessful headers (if headers actually count as passes, I suspect most are interceptions or ignored completely), he gave the ball away 11 times, in that same time frame NRC gave the ball away twice in 30 attempts and went on to not miss another pass in the next 33 minutes

On this basis and time frame only Downing gave it away more.

NRC did have a great game didnt he.

you only have to watch the match to realise a chalkboard argument isn't entirely valid. some of NRC's passes were wayward at best and nowhere near their intended target, they just happened not to be intercepted (and they were mostly simple passes too). not that i'm saying he was crap, far from it, thought he put in a great performance last night and his passing has definitely improved.

on Makoun: didn't look quite up to the pace, but we shouldn't be expecting miracles from him after training with the team what, twice? as well as not speaking the language. he showed flashes of what he's capable of & let's hope he can build on that (for what it's worth i'm confident he will).

Makoun tried to play faster, 2 touch football in my opinion. He always seemed to be looking for the next pass quickly rather than the Petrov/Reo approach.. Looking at his first start with a bit of optimism he shows great promise. He is the type of player we havent had at Villa as far as I can remember. I hope his fitness and feel for the premier league will improve quickly. He could just be the replacement (and more) for Milner.

Didn't pull up any trees, but I liked the way he was available to receive a pass - even though 9 times out of 10 he wasn't given the ball. His passing was usually first-time and accurate, rather than some in our midfield who want too many touches or force it forward too early and lose possession. He'll be fine when he gets his fitness sorted & other players know how he likes to play.

Agree with this 100%. Looked very neat and tidy and never gave the ball away under pressure. Unlike some of our more experienced players.

actually he did give it away, more than anyone else in the 57 minutes he was on the pitch

From my seat I didn't see this occur .

he does get up well for a fairly small man.

He's 5'8" whats small ??

I'd say 5'8 is pretty small for a Premiership central midfielder.

Compared with the monsters of citeh yes but Ireland and Delph are the same, Coker 5'9". While you were making a sarnie he clattered into one wigan player (bigger than he) and came off easily the best, I wouldnt worry about it.

Wrong. Downing 12 times. Makoun 11. Chalkboards dont tell the whole story though.

he does get up well for a fairly small man.

He's 5'8" whats small ??

I'd say 5'8 is pretty small for a Premiership central midfielder.

Compared with the monsters of citeh yes but Ireland and Delph are the same, Coker 5'9". While you were making a sarnie he clattered into one wigan player (bigger than he) and came off easily the best, I wouldnt worry about it.

I haven't...I said...he gets up well for a small player. If you compared his height to the average size of a Premiership central midfielder, he'd be towards the bottom...Delph is 5'9 by the way.

Doesn't matter anything, just an observation.

From my seat I didn't see this occur .

As said, it has to be taken into account. 5 of those give aways were headers which surely doesn't really it count if your competing for a header?

Who in a game when you see a midfielder head the ball go 'Well that's a mis-placed pass'...you don't.

He give it away a few times but he also passed the ball into good areas which allowed us to find space between the lines and allowed likes of Young to get on the ball and face upto the Wigan defence.

He played well, but tired. Understandable given the break in France. I thought he looked good - kept the ball a lot, even when under pressure. Good first time passing and lots of energy. When he went off, we lost momentum and Wigan came back into the game.

What a strange twist this thread took. It was his first game in English football and the majority opinion is that he was OK. I like the sound of him being forward thinking, kind of what I was expecting but it's good to hear.

That'll do for me, he needs to be blooded and it was probably the perfect game.

Re-watch the game and see how many headers are actually attempted by NRC. He doesn't get up for any of them and 99% of his passes are straight forward playing to the guy standing next to him (aside from one ball out to the left wing that i was very impressed by)

Makoun showed in glimpses that he can look dangerous and played some quick, intelligent passes that I think our midfield have lacked for some time.

I think the best part of his performance is that he takes much less time to move the ball on than the rest of our squad who play there (Petrov/NRC/Downing) he was always looking to quickly help the ball on, whereas too many times our midfielders take too many touches and have to really think about their next pass. This has been my biggest criticism of Villa because it allows teams to comfortably organise themselves defensively against us. Case in point was Spurs at home where we were so slow in moving the ball they could defend comfortably and every time they had it the ball was moved around quickly and sharply.

I think Makoun will certainly add this to our game.

Â