Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

remember how crap petrov was when he first started as dm after mon decided to switch him to a more defensive role?

No, really, don't remember that, I thought he was the boo boys scapegoat of the time. Petrov was never as bad as people seemed to want to make out, just as Makoun wasn't as good last night as people want to make out.

Do I think Makoun is a bad player? No. Do I think he played well last night? No. Do I think he'll come good for us? Maybe but he'll need to improve the defensive side of his game and clearly his fitness by a long long way, to be looking tired at 50 minutes, just after half time is someone a long long long way off the fitness levels required.

I just wish people would stop looking through rose tinted glasses and look at things objectively than jumping to a players defence because it suits an argument. I said a few days ago after we'd signed him that he would need quite a bit of time to adjust to the PL and I'd give him all season to do that. I stand by that and I think last night proved me right tbh he's way off the fitness levels required, he's way off tactically too, I expected that. What however I thought GH would do is play Petrov for the first 60 and then bring Makoun on for the last 30 as Wigan tired a bit. That would be the best way to introduce him to the PL, a few 30 min sub appearances first, not straight in at the deep end.

Don't agree with the tactically Bickster but hey your entitled to your opinion.

No reason he can't be a good player for us.

But I didn't think he did that well last night. As others have said very early days - he didn't look like tackling, and energy was what he was most comfortable with - seemed to want time on the ball - and then pick a pass - which he won't get in the PL - Hopefully he can up his work rate - and fitness levels.

Would play Petrov and NRC for the next few games.

Seemed to want time on the ball?!? He played most of it one-touch!

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but Houllier said he was taken off because he picked up a knock just before half time, and he wanted to see if he could run it off.

Fwiw, I thought he did fine. He'll need time to adjust and integrate but he showed signs yesterday that he could be a good player for us. Seemed to make NRC step up his game too.

I thought he did very well last night. It was good to see a central midfielder who could play 1 touch football. Although NRC was excellent last night, I actually think J2M would play better along side Petrov.

The one bit of play I liked was in the second half (before he went off) was when Wigan were applying the pressure we kept hoofing the ball long. It fell to J2M and he put his foot on the ball and passed it to Gabby and we hit them on the break.

remember how crap petrov was when he first started as dm after mon decided to switch him to a more defensive role?

No, really, don't remember that, I thought he was the boo boys scapegoat of the time. Petrov was never as bad as people seemed to want to make out, just as Makoun wasn't as good last night as people want to make out.

Do I think Makoun is a bad player? No. Do I think he played well last night? No. Do I think he'll come good for us? Maybe but he'll need to improve the defensive side of his game and clearly his fitness by a long long way, to be looking tired at 50 minutes, just after half time is someone a long long long way off the fitness levels required.

I just wish people would stop looking through rose tinted glasses and look at things objectively than jumping to a players defence because it suits an argument. I said a few days ago after we'd signed him that he would need quite a bit of time to adjust to the PL and I'd give him all season to do that. I stand by that and I think last night proved me right tbh he's way off the fitness levels required, he's way off tactically too, I expected that. What however I thought GH would do is play Petrov for the first 60 and then bring Makoun on for the last 30 as Wigan tired a bit. That would be the best way to introduce him to the PL, a few 30 min sub appearances first, not straight in at the deep end.

He wasnt tired after 50 minutes he was injured. I really dont think you come out of the Lyon side with poor fitness levels.

I'm not sure what argument its suiting to comment on Makoun ???

To be honest, I was not satisfied with his debut. Started well but faded very soon. In the second half, he did not track back his player, looked tired (I hope not lazy) and right after I had clicked on Submit button (on the other web page) with "Makoun must be subbed", he was subbed fortunately.

I will judge him after one year.

He can't really speak english so would have struggled with communications. That and he probably doesn't know any of his teammates names yet. If he seemed to need time on the ball on occasions then he was probably working out which colours to pass to.

It's a lot early to be making pronouncements on his abilities or lack thereof.

I think pwehaps instead of seeing through rose-tinted glasses, the people who thought he did well, and I am one of them, are seeing the positives of his performance whilst keeping in mind the fact that he hasn't played for a couple of weeks, he;s not used to the pace of the english game, doesn't know the players, doesn't speak the language etc. Considering all of these factors that are bound to affect his game, he did well, I don't think I've read a single post where someone said he was outstanding.

Also, from what I saw, I don't think any of our players played particularly well really. I will say I only caught the hour long highlight reel however so I didn't see the entire game, but it seemed like typical Villa to me, especially towards the end. One bit sticks in my mind in particular. Dunne was in our box and went to clear the ball, there were no Wigan players in the immediate vacinity and Gabby was open on the left. A simple pass to him and we could have attacked but Dunne hoofed it out of play.

I'm sick of seeing this type of football, especially against teams like Wigan. Naturally I'm glad we won, delighted even, but I was hoping for a more dominating performance. We rode our luck against City, but we should not have to bite our fingernails to hang onto a one goal lead against Wigan for christ's sake. In relation to Makoun, he did OK all things considering, but no-one played particularly well from what I saw, so I can't expect Makoun to be amazing when the rest of the team is average at best.

I think pwehaps instead of seeing through rose-tinted glasses, the people who thought he did well, and I am one of them, are seeing the positives of his performance whilst keeping in mind the fact that he hasn't played for a couple of weeks, he;s not used to the pace of the english game, doesn't know the players, doesn't speak the language etc. Considering all of these factors that are bound to affect his game, he did well, I don't think I've read a single post where someone said he was outstanding.

Also, from what I saw, I don't think any of our players played particularly well really. I will say I only caught the hour long highlight reel however so I didn't see the entire game, but it seemed like typical Villa to me, especially towards the end. One bit sticks in my mind in particular. Dunne was in our box and went to clear the ball, there were no Wigan players in the immediate vacinity and Gabby was open on the left. A simple pass to him and we could have attacked but Dunne hoofed it out of play.

I'm sick of seeing this type of football, especially against teams like Wigan. Naturally I'm glad we won, delighted even, but I was hoping for a more dominating performance. We rode our luck against City, but we should not have to bite our fingernails to hang onto a one goal lead against Wigan for christ's sake. In relation to Makoun, he did OK all things considering, but no-one played particularly well from what I saw, so I can't expect Makoun to be amazing when the rest of the team is average at best.

Agree 100%

I just wish people would stop looking through rose tinted glasses and look at things objectively than jumping to a players defence because it suits an argument.

How dare people be optimistic about a player we have just signed, who has just played his first 60 minutes in English football!!!

Didnt see the game personally but spoke to many who did and recieved a mixed bag of comments ref JM.

Personally I dont think much more than an average performance could of been expected based on the fact that it was his first game for the club and everything, everyone and the pace of the game muct have been com,pletely different thaty what he is use to, plus poor match fitness thrown in.

I remeber when i used to play semi-pro ice hockey and joined a new team down south. My first few games were pretty poor until i clicked with my team mates and understood the way the coach wanted me to play. I dont think premiership football, or any other sport in that fact, is any different. Give the lad a month to settle, learn the lingo and gel with the team and im sure he'll come good. If not then ta-ra!

Â