Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

I think last night proved people just looked at Wiki and Youtube and then posted they knew all about this guy.

I'd never heard of him until 2 weeks ago, but having listened to all and sundrie on here, thought he was Patrick viera mk 2

What he actually is , is hopefully a younger and better version of Petrov (once he settles).

Oh, and a lot smaller too !.

To be honest, I would give him a 3 or 4 last night, gave the ball away lots, off pace lots - but, you expect that.

So by next season we will see. But he certainly wont be the saviour for this one as some people were saying.

Who said he was Patrick Viera Mk II? If anything people were saying he's a better version of NRC.

No surprise to see negativity on here though.

NRC passes it two yards, Makoun will try move the ball about more IMO. I dont think that stat is right, I can only remember him losing the ball once, if he lost it 11 times Id remember!

He can play a first time pass, doesn't need to control the ball. Seemed to know where most the players were and looked sharp on the ball. Played a neat one two with Young on the edge of the Wigan box. If he didn't get booked I think he would have done even better but you could see he didn't want to make a challenge after that.

NRC passes it two yards, Makoun will try move the ball about more IMO. I dont think that stat is right, I can only remember him losing the ball once, if he lost it 11 times Id remember!

He can play a first time pass, doesn't need to control the ball. Seemed to know where most the players were and looked sharp on the ball. Played a neat one two with Young on the edge of the Wigan box. If he didn't get booked I think he would have done even better but you could see he didn't want to make a challenge after that.

Very good point about his one-touch play, it's fantastic and a lot more adventurous.

3 or 4!? I hope that's out of 5/6. He wasn't brilliant, but he was still good, he impressed me with his control, we looked a bit weaker when it came to pressuring their midfield line when he went off.

Absolutely incorrect. We looked far more solid as a team in the 20 minutes from Petrov coming onto the pitch and Gabby coming off than we ever did with Makoun on the pitch. Those 20 minutes we dominated the game unlike what had gone on before or after we weakened ourselves defensively by taking Gabby off and playing Downing on the left wing.

I dont think that stat is right, I can only remember him losing the ball once, if he lost it 11 times Id remember!

I remember him losing it quite a bit, whether it was 11 times I don't know, but significantly more than once

3 or 4!? I hope that's out of 5/6. He wasn't brilliant, but he was still good, he impressed me with his control, we looked a bit weaker when it came to pressuring their midfield line when he went off.

Absolutely incorrect. We looked far more solid as a team in the 20 minutes from Petrov coming onto the pitch and Gabby coming off than we ever did with Makoun on the pitch. Those 20 minutes we dominated the game unlike what had gone on before or after we weakened ourselves defensively by taking Gabby off and playing Downing on the left wing.

I noticed no difference in time with either Petrov or Makoun on the pitch, we still sat behind the ball and Wigan still had umpteen chances.

I noticed no difference in time with either Petrov or Makoun on the pitch, we still sat behind the ball and Wigan still had umpteen chances.

This.

Very good point about his one-touch play, it's fantastic and a lot more adventurous.

He played one first timeball from the edge of our box out to Downing, I think. which developed into a scoring opportunity. He took one them down when he new it was dangerous and got a yellow. After one training session I'm not sure what people want.

Early days and he did well last night. It was never gonna be easy for him to be slotted into a Premiership team and have an instant impact. He did well and had glimpses of quality and tried to get the ball forward quickly and accurately. No qualms- you can't judge on his first game how well he will adapt to Villa's style of play. Can't ask for more than getting 3 points.

one thing though stan came on when wigan were deflated and behind our team had more confidence then so its a different point of the game. remember how crap petrov was when he first started as dm after mon decided to switch him to a more defensive role?

in addition makoun needs to adjust to the league and i am confident he can do

Gave the ball away lots?! Whaaa?! I cant recall a single time he did. The only mistake he made in the game was not tracking his runner just before he came off, which was obviously only due to him being tired. Hes had a long week. Give him a chance.

FFS.

Edit: Now i see. Those comments were coming from the Petrov Patrol. I'll pretend i never read them.

He played one first timeball from the edge of our box out to Downing, I think. which developed into a scoring opportunity. He took one them down when he new it was dangerous and got a yellow. After one training session I'm not sure what people want.

Yeah, I really don't get the 'Petrov came on and looked far better' comments. Personally given Makoun's amount of training with squad and it being his first game in the Premier League, 1) I'd bloody expect him to be! and 2) I really didn't notice any difference, in fact I'd say we came under the kosh even more. I'm not going to apportion that blame to Stan coming on though.

Once he adapts to the amount of running involved and the level of tackling he can put around then all the better. I found his anticipation of the play was very good, and given GH put him in a similar role to that of Stan (do the simple stuff) I thought he acquitted himself very well and managed to throw in some creative play as well.

No reason he can't be a good player for us.

But I didn't think he did that well last night. As others have said very early days - he didn't look like tackling, and energy was what he was most comfortable with - seemed to want time on the ball - and then pick a pass - which he won't get in the PL - Hopefully he can up his work rate - and fitness levels.

Would play Petrov and NRC for the next few games.

remember how crap petrov was when he first started as dm after mon decided to switch him to a more defensive role?

No, really, don't remember that, I thought he was the boo boys scapegoat of the time. Petrov was never as bad as people seemed to want to make out, just as Makoun wasn't as good last night as people want to make out.

Do I think Makoun is a bad player? No. Do I think he played well last night? No. Do I think he'll come good for us? Maybe but he'll need to improve the defensive side of his game and clearly his fitness by a long long way, to be looking tired at 50 minutes, just after half time is someone a long long long way off the fitness levels required.

I just wish people would stop looking through rose tinted glasses and look at things objectively than jumping to a players defence because it suits an argument. I said a few days ago after we'd signed him that he would need quite a bit of time to adjust to the PL and I'd give him all season to do that. I stand by that and I think last night proved me right tbh he's way off the fitness levels required, he's way off tactically too, I expected that. What however I thought GH would do is play Petrov for the first 60 and then bring Makoun on for the last 30 as Wigan tired a bit. That would be the best way to introduce him to the PL, a few 30 min sub appearances first, not straight in at the deep end.

Â