The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Manager Ally McCoist has admitted the trail has gone slightly cold but his left-back shares his enthusiasm in bringing back the former Osasuna player.

Papac told www.rangersfc.co.uk: "I know that the manager is interested in bringing Carlos Cuellar back to the club and that would be great.

"He is a very good player. We know how he can play after his great season with us before."

Cuellar is a player of Aston Villa football club.. this is surely seen as tapping up?

1. "Sell to buy"...that is a perennial question. As you have seen from the beginning of Randy's time at the Club, we have not always had a sell to buy requirement. At the same time, if you don't look hard at players and the overall wage bill, a Club can get into real financial difficulties. This is the reason you see Clubs like ManU selling key players...trying to keep competitive and still manage the wage structure. So, at the end of the day, it has much more to do with the wage bill than it does with transfer fees.

Cheers for the response General.

So, would you personally envisage more players leaving our club? We already have cut a fair bit of the wage bill I would imagine...ok, I don't know the exact figures obviously, but I'm sure releasing; Carew, NRC, Pires(especially considering we were paying for his travel and no doubt other expenses) and a few other fringe and youngsters, and of course selling Ashely Young... We have cut it massively?

But on the flip side, you mentioned ManU sell to compete and mangage the finances... But they are ManU, they attract whoever they want to the club. Our best player for example!...They have sold a couple of players in Brown and O'Shea but they arnt of the quality that we have sold this season or last...or the one before for that matter. We are now of course, left short! So how do we go on from here? Do we continue to sell our top stars and bringing in 'ok' players or, can we buy the stars, keep buying stars and really try to kick on?

Thanks again Gen!

2. stubbo26: Although it may shock you (sad that some will be disappointed with this news), our Season Ticket sales are progressing well. We are right on target. There appears to be many who continue to see progress with the Club and see what we are trying to do for the Club.

General do you honestly believe that there are Villa fans who will be disappointed that season ticket sales are going well or that want the club to do badly as your comment suggests here ? Some of us may be critical over events but if you honestly feel that that means we want the club to do badly you could not be further from the truth and you do not know your fans after all these years either.

General Krulak here:

1. Ralphy. "We are not selling our best players"....that sort of statement is very easy to make but does not stand the test of time...certainly not in the Premiership. 1) EVERY Club has its price and to think that they don't is naive. 2) EVERY Club needs to watch the timing of the contracts of their players or they will see them go at almost no price. 3) EVERY Club has to weigh the advantages of keeping a player who wants to go...expecially depending on the timing of contract. To simply say that the way to go is say "we are not selling" is naive. Two players that have been continually mentioned on this site and others were BOTH offered more money to stay than they received to go....but, in the end, they went. To think that Randy is simply selling off players because he wants to do so is to not know your owner...after all these years.

Why don't we sign our best players up to five-year contracts instead of four-year contracts then?

Luka Modric signed a six-year contract with Tottenham Hotspur.

This puts Tottenham in a very strong position when it comes to keeping hold of him/not selling him.

Downing only has two years left on his contract.

Ashley Young only had one year left on his contract.

Four year contracts seem to be too short.

I think we should give out five-year contracts to our best players, especially if they are English.

To go on the post above,

Kinda like what we did for Gabby General - although I think if it was offered Gabby would sign a 10 year contract. He's Villa through and through.

Its not so much the fact we are accepting the bids, it's just that we get these players in then they want out! What Tottenham are apparently doing to Modric is wrong, I would hope that Randy will never say to someone that they will just sit in the stands. So what can he do but accept the best offer. But, why is it happening in the first place??? This is what we don't understand General and it's really frustrating.

General,

Would it be possible to confirm once and for all, what the ambitions and goals are for Randy in regards to AVFC. 2011 - onwards?

The previous 5 year plan as we know ended by not reaching champions league qualification that we were all dreaming of. i really do appreciate that with the great investment, added with a great manager, we gave it a real good go, but it just didnt pay off, WE WERE SO CLOSE.

I have great memories from the last 4-5 years and thank Randy, MON and the players for that. AVFC were back on the map.

However, it does look more like those days will not return and maybe, just maybe, Randy has stood back and realised the dream is over, well at least, in respect of champions league football. Please make no mistake, I respect what our owner has done for the club.

My questions to you general are these and I hope you can answer them for me:

What is the next 5 year plan for Villa? is it to hopefully finish between 7th-10th and win a cup, or have a just good cup run and qualify for the Europa? If so, I can live with that.

Has the champions league dream been put to bed for good?, (for want of a better word)

Does randy intend on being here for the NEXT 5 years? if so, what is the plan.. the goals, the dreams...

One other thing I will praise randy on is his ability to hold out for the best possible price for our want away players. We get a very good return, but at the same time, it really needs to be invested back into the team, which I am hoping to see this summer, would be a nice boost.

Ill be honest general, I think the top 4 dream died the day MON walked out. I doubt we will ever flirt with the top four teams ever again and its hurts me to say that i will go into the future supporting a middle of the road team. I did this many a year before Randy turned up, but ill still be there in the stands, singing my heart out for one of the most important things to me, (other than the wife, the kids, oxygen and beer).

Its true when we say... "Villa Till I Die".

Thank you for your time and I hope you and your family are well.

Up the Villa

1. "Sell to buy"...that is a perennial question. As you have seen from the beginning of Randy's time at the Club, we have not always had a sell to buy requirement. At the same time, if you don't look hard at players and the overall wage bill, a Club can get into real financial difficulties. This is the reason you see Clubs like ManU selling key players...trying to keep competitive and still manage the wage structure. So, at the end of the day, it has much more to do with the wage bill than it does with transfer fees.

Hi General,

I'm interested in your choice of words here when you say "we have not always had a sell to buy requirement" does this mean you are saying at present we do have this requirement?

I can totally understand the requirement to balance a club financially as you would with any business what I don't quite understand is how we were allowed to get ourselves into what appears to have been an unsustainable position with our wage bill.

I think it is clear to be seen the damage that has been done in the last 12 months of trying to reduce the wage bill in terms of the progress of the club which leaves me thinking more control should surely have been in place in the first place? To let the wage bill spiral to an unsustainable level and then try and bring it back in line so quickly seems an odd way of doing things to me and one which has been counter productive.

Like Pilchard I find the comparison with Man Utd totally baffling to be honest.

2. stubbo26: Although it may shock you (sad that some will be disappointed with this news), our Season Ticket sales are progressing well. We are right on target. There appears to be many who continue to see progress with the Club and see what we are trying to do for the Club.

Leaving aside the opening part of this response as I think someone else has already picked up on this I have a further question on this topic.

You say sales are going well and right on target which I'm sure all fans will say is great. What I'm curious about though is the targets themselves, are they higher than in previous years? the same as previous years or less than previous years?

The reason I ask is that it would be possible to have a reduced target and be hitting it but the overall figure would still be down on previous years.

I honestly hope that sales are up but I find it hard to believe this is the case at the moment given everything that has occured over the last 12 months or so because there simply hasn't been any progress, certainly not on the pitch.

So we are still waiting for action? Ignoring the words as you say....still waiting?

So far we have sold our star player who we knew was going anyway and hired a manager who it appears nobody wanted apart from the board.......not great action you would agree. So we are still waiting for action

General Krulak here:

1. Ralphy. "We are not selling our best players"....that sort of statement is very easy to make but does not stand the test of time...certainly not in the Premiership. 1) EVERY Club has its price and to think that they don't is naive. 2) EVERY Club needs to watch the timing of the contracts of their players or they will see them go at almost no price. 3) EVERY Club has to weigh the advantages of keeping a player who wants to go...expecially depending on the timing of contract. To simply say that the way to go is say "we are not selling" is naive. Two players that have been continually mentioned on this site and others were BOTH offered more money to stay than they received to go....but, in the end, they went. To think that Randy is simply selling off players because he wants to do so is to not know your owner...after all these years.

You bring up the most important point with regards to our best players leaving:

2) " EVERY Club needs to watch the timing of the contracts of their players or they will see them go at almost no price."

Why have our best players not been awarded with contracts mid season? What is the need to delay and wait until the Summer? I'll take you back to late January 2010, we had just beaten Blackburn to get to the CC final. James Milner was in the form of his life, had just under 2 and a half years left on his contract and declares he would be happy to sign a new deal. Ashley Young was in a similar position with just under 2 and a half years left. Why, when the club is at an all time high, when both these players had just under 2 and half years left and would happily sign 5year deals, do we not offer them new contracts? Summer came, clubs had seen how well Milner had played and his head is turned. You would think we would learn a lesson from this but NOOOO. Stewart Downing states he wants to sign a new deal with the club and feels he owes us in Febuary. Gerard Houllier says he is calm regarding contracts and wants to wait until the Summer and KABLAM...Summer comes and his head is turned. I guarantee you we would still have all 3 players at the club if Ash and Jimmy signed 5 year deal in Feb 2010, not just 1 very unhappy one. And atleast if a bid came in the club could say 'NOT FOR SALE' unless 50mil is offered.

P.s. Not one other club in the Premier League has sold their best players 3 years running. FACT. Everton manage to keep hold of their best and they are in worse financial difficulties than us, atleast i hope they are. It doesnt add up, you cannot deny that we are not selling our best players year after year.

General, how come you have stopped answering the general enquiries and only focusing on the negative questions all the time?

Not all of us are against the board yet you only seem to answer those who are with a slightly frustrated and somewhat sarcastic reply.

I and others have asked a number of times about what is happening with the home kit but nothing, maybe if i put a negative spin on my question it will be answered?

Whats happening with the home kit? This delaying and wall of silence makes us look like jokers, does randy not care anymore? Typical of this club at the moment.

How does that sound? Negative enough to warrant an answer?

I realise the shirts arent as important as other matters, but dont forget about those with genuine questions that actually support yourself and the board.

general why have we paid comphensation for mcleish? doesnt this suggest we tapped him up?

and if we were so outraged with the fact that mark hughes was "dishonourable" and walked out on fulham, why in the hell have we broken the rules to go after the manager of a relegated club when we had hughes available on a free?

Hi General

I am struggling to be convinced by the whole thing at VP at the moment, I feel as tho there is a real lack of direction with the whole club we have lost a great player in Ash and rumours are mounting regarding Stuey, I feel as tho Villa are no longer being touted as a Big Club when Randy, Paul and yourself signed Benty I was amazed that we carried so much clout and thought you guys were serious splashing the cash, I still believe after all the problems we have been through that Randy is dedicated to the club as are the rest of the Heirachy. Please can you put me out of my misery and some of the other villa fans and ask Randy to just make 1 satement with his intent for the season and the future, I appreciate that he is not a man that deals with the media but some clubs owners/chairman are very upfront with what they want to do interms of goals and personnel of there team. I understand you are all very busy people but id like to thank you for what you have been doing for us in ther past the present and the future.

Hi General not sure if you missed my question or i missed your response so i will ask again. Who were the football people who advised the board on the appointment of a manager or did the board just rely on there own knowledge.

and a couple of other questions

1. Was Birmingham approached for permission to speak to mcleish before he quit. If not why not. By which i mean if we never thought he was worth appoaching at the begining. Then why when he quits why do we then consider him a good appointment. If yes then when he quit why did we not kill our intrest as that would suggest that was the reason he quit and we were known as a club that does things the right way.

2. Why have we paid them compensation for him?

3. What would be a good season in your eyes.

4. Will there be any reserve games at Hinckley this year

Many Thanks

Mark