The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General

Firstly, if Downing doesn't want to be here and we have received what we believe to be value for money then good riddance. I neither want or respect a player who behaves in the manner he has.

However, you promised us action, you have consistently said that Randy will & always has backed his manager - well now is not the time to be shy, now is the time for action.

As you have said, actions speak louder than words - well I'm listening!!!

UTV

general,

i actually think we have played a blinder here, a VERY disloyal man who sums up players of this day and age. an 8m profit for 1 half seasons work - only last season being any good - yes please...

it is however, CRUCIAL that the money is reinvested back into the squad and lets get these players on a 5 year contract if there age is right - 6 years if we feel they will improve and become a real asset, like spurs and modric.

theres a panic button, but i aint pressing mine until mid august... lets see some quality replacements and get them through the door. i am sure we will.

sell to buy... we have sold, now lets buy

VTID

We're looking a shambles more and more each day, the past 12 months have been a total embarassment and yet it continues. Can you answer this quesiton rather that hiding behind your PR speeches.

Exactly what direction do you, Randy and that yes man Faulkner preceive the club to be heading? I can assure it will differ from the majority of the REAL fans....

General

I'm one of those fans who currently will be staying away from VP due to the McLeish appointment , tbh being from out of town the AM / Blues link didn't 't bother me , it was more about the lack of ambition his appointment showed .....

convince me otherwise ...

With £36m raised in transfers + sky money + new Sponsor deal I'm sure I am not alone in looking forward to seeing who we are going to spend our close on £50m transfer fund on

A couple of weeks ago you said to us to be patient and assured us we would hear from and see action from Randy and Faulkner. Well in that time we've paid 3million for McLeish and sold our two best players. As you always say, 'Actions speak louder than words'. We get the message loud and clear General.

General, could you give us a rough estimate of when Lerner hopes to have the club sold?

He's doing it bit by bit this summer already it seems.

General

Is our new five year plan just to make up the numbers and sell our best players every summer?

When exactly did Lerner decide that his heart wasn't in it anymore?

Finally - After two uninspiring managerial appointments in a row, and now with the team about to sell its 4th England international in two years to those teams we once had hopes of catching, what can you say to the fans who think that our ambitions have died a death?

General -

I know it's not you personally selling the players, but can you tell me how this works? When a bid comes in who is it who actually gives the nod to accept? Is it Randy??

This is quite pathetic. The players that were making this club are just disappearing without trace. I really can't see myself spending any money on Villa this season, it's all just a joke. I was looking into buying my first season ticket so I could start coming to games on my own as I don't have anyone to go with...despite the joke of last season... Think I will save it. Villa have enough money from the sales of key players.

Well played on this one 'The board'.

General,

how can our club have ambition when Randy continues to sell its best players. I know there is time to bring in replacments but do you actually believe the outgoing players will be replaced with better quality?

This club is getting ridiculous. Time to go. Fixing up the pub and laying mosaic tiles doesnt fool us.

General,

I can only resume that you have some bloody good players lined up to replace the 15 we have released, sold, loan expired this summer? You really are testing the patience of the fans. Our two best players sold this summer, that makes it four in the last three seasons with Young, Milner, Barry and now Downing. I don't really care that he is unhappy and that he's an ungrateful shit, It's a decent price. BUT, we have a very shallow squad in terms of quality. You appointed a man that not too many of us wanted, back the bugger quickly. Please!!

I rarely post negative stuff, but my patience is sorely tested. I cannot begin to estimate the millions of pounds that Randy has spent on my club in relation/comparison to what I spend on the tickets and shirts for my kids, but my money is precious to me at a time of austerity and the threat of redundancy. Villa lift the doom and gloom of my job, which is **** tough, stressful and often upsetting due to it's nature. For God's sake lift my gloom, start signing players and get some quality into that squad, because it's wafer thin and lacks real quality thanks to the players you've sold.

I placed a £20 bet with an Arsenal fan yesterday when he quipped that we'll go down this season. Win my money for me General. Restore my faith.

Steve.

Whilst I have been a big critic of the club on numerous occasions within the last few months, in this instance I feel you have little blame.

Downing is a disgrace for leaving a club the second he can, when we bought him it was a considerable risk and whilst I'm not stupid enough to think loyalty exists anymore - human decency would should have dictated at least another year from him. £20m(ish) in the bank for a player who handed his notice in - fair enough; that's life and no real blame can be contributed to the board.

However, as a number of papers have already highlighted, this deal puts Villa in a terrible light and means we must now move incredibly quickly to convince fans, pundits and most importantly future and current players that ambition still exists at our club.

Do you really think that we look like a club with ambition now? Whether you say we are or not, surely you can admit that we at least LOOK weak at the moment and on a downward slide. We are not a company you would put money on at the moment.

I feel the players must know we have accepted survival (financially) is the main target in the short term and wish the Board could be a little bit more honest with us. Even massive clubs admit times when they have to scale back investment.

General

Two years ago, Gareth Barry. Last year, James Milner. This year Ashley Young AND Stewart Downing. Next year, Darren Bent.

Throw in the extra beauty of a season of struggle followed by the appointment of a manager who we last saw getting relegated for the second time in three years, and it is really, really hard to feel positive about the club. In fact, it feels more or less exactly like it did when you arrived, except we're now in hock to the tune of a very large amount of money.

When does the Bright Future bit kick in?

Support for the board is at an all time low General I really cant see it getting any better for you guys, I really can't. What can you say to the fans or more importantly what can Randy say to us, does he not feel that after all that has gone on, we don't deserve an explanation? Because I think it's the least we deserve.....

Still waiting for action.....

General,

1, 2, 3, 4 of 5 of our key players from last season have left the club now. Downing, Young, Reo Coker and Freidel. These players, along with the fringe players. Total bloomin shambles. Two weeks ago you promised action over the next couple of weeks, however the only real action is that we have lost another one of our best players. We have 1 top player in our team now, Darren Bent. Rewind clock 12 months ago and we had Downing, Young and Milner in our attack. How can we not be a selling club? Spurs say they won't sell Modric and the manager says £27m offer is a discrace. He also wants out like Downing, with quotes very public.

Where is the action that was promised? Since the appointment of McLeish, which I backed after initial discomfort of the deal things have got a lot worse squad wise.

Fan's knew when the manager said Downing was not for sale, that it should be taken with a pinch of salt, but it's not right that we should be thinking like that. My attempts to stay positive are now exhausted. One thing after the other right now.

Everton a club with no money whatsoever, manages to keep its best players happy bar the odd one once in a blue moon. Arteta, Baines, Cahill and co all look set to stay their.

General no doubt you won't answer these till we sign someone and you return but i'll ask

1) when randy bought the club did you ever think you'd lose the support of the fans after just 5 years?

2) do you have any regrets over the decisions which resulted in Mon leaving? We've been a complete shambles in every department since the day he left.

3) was mcleish told downing wouldn't be sold unless it was silly money? And if yes why did we not stick to this?