The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hello General,

Will Aston Villa be taking a preseason tour this summer? If so, when will it be announced?

You answered earlier questions about partnering with football (soccer) clubs at different levels in the USA, but you said the time is not right. Are you able to elaborate on why the time is not right? The midwest has tons of areas with strong football that are still untapped by MLS or even USL teams. The Cleveland, OH area produces some of the best soccer in the country, having the #1 high school team in the nation, the NCAA champion Akron Zips, and youth teams that regularly do well in national tournaments. Two of this years 10 MLS Generation Addidas signings came from Cleveland, three Clevelanders were first round draft picks. Given Aston Villa's obvious connections in Cleveland, it seems it would be relatively easy and inexpensive to begin a partnership with a youth club/team(s) in this area. The soccer talent in the US is mushrooming, perhaps even exploding. I think Aston Villa could really benefit from having a base in the US, wherever it is.

General Krulak here:

1. villanshane: We will be establishing a partnership in the US but, as indicated, not right now. Simply put, we are working in several areas to include Europe and Asia. The partnership that you are pushing is not quite as simple and "inexpensive" as you would think. We need to make sure that our resources and efforts are focused where they can help us in a timely manner.

General, after reading Jean II Makoun's live chat today, is there any possibility at all of following up the whole 'funky jumper' being made to sell in the club shop? It seems to have taken on a small life of it's own and would be a popular choice for the fans. Thank you.

Hello General

Further to my suggestion of 'seat options' over 2 or more years.

Would the club consider incorporating FA Cup and League cup into season ticket renewels next season for a 'nominal' increase. (nominal=20 pounds) The gamble being if we're drawn at home or stay in the competitions. I think this would be great incentive to renew and the club would be getting peripheral attendance revenue.

Oh and you could throw in a free 'Jean Makoun' sweater as well :D

Hello General,

I am seeing yet another non season ticket holder deal for match tickets and I'm starting to wonder why I continue to renew. If I added up all the deals that have gone on this season for practically every single league game I would save money buying single match tickets as opposed to buying for the season in advance. Now this is not a kneejerk as I've been a season ticket holder since 1997 but I'm seriously considering not renewing next season now because of a change in circumstance and your single match ticket deals are not helping a lot of season ticket holders renew really, are they?

I know what you are going to say, a season ticket holder guarantees a seat, away games, Wembley should we get there again et al - but what kind of deals can we expect for season ticket holders in the not so distant future? Why don't we get discount on cup games? Do all of our fans want to see Blackburn for the millionth time in two seasons for a higher price than any other cup game in the same round that I've seen over the past 4-5 seasons?

I feel the club need to reward season ticket holders more. That is all.

Thanks.

General

If I can add to the above post without breaking the topic guidlines, then I would like to add my support to Sellyoak's concerns.

As a Season ticket holder, Living in South Wales, I tend to arrive at the ground perhaps half an hour before kick off. At which point it would be quite nice to stroll into the Holte suite for a nice drink and perhaps a bite to eat. However, there is no sense in paying the money to go in there for half an hour. Furthermore it is always, without fail, full by the time I get to the ground. Hence, I can basically only ever get in there when Cup games are being played, at which point I believe it becomes open to Non Season Ticket holders anyway.

Currently, the only benefit of me being a season ticket holder is the fact that I get to keep my same seat for all of the games. But, in reality, it wouldnt be difficult for me to get a similar seat on a match by match basis due to the attendances that we are getting.

Thanks

General Krulak here:

1. sellyoakvilla and schillzz: As I have indicated, we are currently looking at the Season Ticket issue...and Nicky Keye has been reading the various posts on this site and others. She has also been ringing up a smattering of Season Ticket holders to get an idea of their thoughts. You hit on a few important points re. ST's...a guaranteed seat, Wembley, etc. This season, to date, this may not seem like a big deal but last year it certainly was...and we still are in a Cup competition this year. Importantly, it is also cheaper....and the payment can be stretched over time. I know you say that is is not cheaper but I would have to disagree with you. I know that Nicky and her team have watched the pricing very closely and has ensured that the ST holder remains the cheapest seat in town. ST holders get into the lottery for the Holte Pub and most get there once or twice during the season. BUT...we ARE looking at new incentives to make the ST holder a better option.

ST holders get into the lottery for the Holte Pub and most get there once or twice during the season.

Hi General,

Are you sure about that statement? I ask because until having to give them up in the summer due to injury I had 3 season tickets for 3 seasons and didn't receive a single invite.

I appriciate the numbers are limited and I agree with the method by which invites are generated.

I would just dispute that most ST holders get there once or twice a season so I'm not sure this should really be considered an advantage of holding a ST.

Regards

TV

Thanks for the reply General.

With regards to Season Tickets still being the cheapest option, I have no doubt that you are Quite correct in what you are saying. But please bare in mind that most people have to miss a game or 2 each season for various reasons. It is the costs, after factoring this into account, that make it a questionable investment.

I cannot complain about the price of the tickets, but it sometimes appears that the club are making more effort to please those who arent going to the games, than those who are already in the bag. I appreciate this is not always the case, and that efforts are being, and have been, made to improve the match day experience for ST holders, but perhaps the balance of attention needs to be addressed between ST and non ST holders.

I will follow blindly, regardless, because fortunately I can, but I know many that are questioning their STs for next season due to the financial burdon. I think incentivising this group of people to stay loyal should be equally, if not more important, than attracting those who perhaps dont go so often.

Thanks

Edit: Also agree with Trent.

Been a season ticket holder since before the Pub was opened, and I'm yet to receive an invite.

General Krulak here:

ST holders get into the lottery for the Holte Pub and most get there once or twice during the season.

As an aside General, is that actually true? Never had an invite myself and I've been a ST holder ever since the Holte was refurbished and as far as I'm aware none of my circle of friends who are also ST holders (which numbers approx 10). This isn't actually me begging for an invite by the way as I'm not sure its entirely my thing anyway plus I'd rather be with all my friends before the game and the lottery system doesn't really allow for that but I would like to challenge the assertion that most season ticket holders get the chance to go once or twice a season. The odds of us as a group of friends never having an invite when most get the chance once or twice a season seems remarkably slim. I think you may have an internal communication issue there General

General,

The thread is turning into a `ticket problem' thread.. I have another note for Nicky to read, the ticketing site currently wont let me buy tickets, the plan of the ground wont come up so you cant pick any seats.. I need to get hold of some for a friend and I cant. Maybe Nicky should have her own thread here!

A number of clubs in the premier league offer the first two cup games as part of the season ticket in order to improve attendances for what can be quite frankly games of low interest.

Have we considered such a thing? Seems to link in to the rewarding season ticket holders too perhaps.

General, have you looked at the league table? £30m spent and we are still terrible. Is the day the day when the board will hold up their hands and admit appointing Mr. Houllier was a mistake? No imagination or flair in the team at all.

Do you still believe Mr. Houllier is doing a "good job under the circumstances"?

General.

What is the situation with wearing claret shorts with the home strip, for away matches? Surely is this has to happen, the away kit should be used. At the end of the day, fans pay a lot of money for shirts (mostly home but away ones too) and we do not get to see our side wearing it.

I know Randy like his traditions and that is why we will always have simple designed kits that are claret body and blue sleeves but even in NFL, they use the away jerseys when needed.

Stoke, Wolves, Liverpool, Utd away are the only times I remember in the league.

General Krulak here:

1. TrentVilla and others: I have been told that we try to get every ST holder into the Holte Pub at least once a season....obviously that is not happening. Let me look into this and I will get back to you. As I have indicated, Nicky has been reading this thread and we are in the midst of working on our ticketing for next season. I have talked with her about what is being suggested and she has been talking to Fans about this issue. We ARE listening.

2. dbsboots: I try to see every game I can...on the telly or in person. Likewise, I can assure you, I have seen the League Table. Hopefully you recognize that as a Director of the Club, I am interested in the League Table. At the same time, as a Director of the Club I also hope you recognize that comments about the Manager, Players, Board, Owner, etc. etc. are not going to be made on this or any other thread. Such comments would be unprofessional and not in keeping with the guidelines of this thread.

3. Often the away kit is dictated by the League depending on who we are playing.

General, it is pleasing to see that our revenue is increasing season on season, however it is a worry that we are still reliant on Randy's wealth. Are we moving to being self sufficient in the near future and will this affect investment in the club from Randy?

What are our aspirations for the coming seasons? Will the board be happy with mid table finishes if it means financially we get ourselves in order?

3. Often the away kit is dictated by the League depending on who we are playing.

I'm not doubting you, sir, but the league appeared quite happy for Birmingham and West Brom to wear white shorts at Villa Park this season, yet at Birmingham we had to change our shorts. In which case, why not change to blue? Manchester City were even allowed to wear their sky blue home shirts at Birmingham recently, so I cannot understand why blue shorts would be regarded as a clash. There is a lot of inconsistency in what the league deems acceptable. I also note that Blackburn wore white shorts at Villa Park recently.

As for yesterday, well, I know all match officials are blind, but what exactly would have been the problem if Villa had worn sky blue shorts?

Can I suggest again a simple rule? When wearing the home shirt, if we are not allowed to wear white shorts, we wear blue. And if that is not allowed, we wear our away kit. And if that is not allowed, then the third kit. But please, stop this all claret nonsense. As I've said before, Manchester United and Arsenal would never wear all red. It's about having a consistent branding.

I'm afraid the periods 1983 to 1989, 1993-95, 1999-2002 have left some of us purists rather scarred when it comes to kits. When it appears to be a matter of policy to wear all claret whenever there is a clash, we worry you're softening us up for some future montrosity!