The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi General,

Thanks as ever for your time.

My question is; Are you able to share how much revenue has been lost from the budgeted figure, and/or year on year, either in monetary or percentage terms as a consequence of the home shirt late release fiasco? and has this informed compensatory discussions with nike?

Thanks

General Krulak here:

1. markavfc40: Not sure what needs to be elaborated on in my comment. A Family, A Football Club, A Business, A Charity...not one of these can afford to have expenses out run revenue.

2. nr11: Interestingly, we have not been far off on shirt sales. The key will be this summer...what will happen then.

3. A very nice game yesterday...again some of our newer players did a superb job. I think the spirit of the lads is very high right now and confidence is definitely growing.

Hi General,

Does GH have any targets written into his job specification regarding the number of youth players he should be bringing through to the first team? It seems apparent that there has been a massive shift of emphasis placed on our youth system and I can't help but think that Randy tried enforcing this upon MON to make our club more sustainable over the long term and hence the reason why he walked.

Cheers,

VL.

Alrite General.

Despite being a season ticket holder I am never able to buy the away game tickets when open too online and have to always call up. Not really a question I know but if its a common issue could be affecting ticket sales for the away games a little.

Chris

'Morn General K, Just wondering if you have any views on why football never quite captures the hearts of the US public. Now you have been closely involved for a few years would love to know how it compares in your mind with the really popular sports over there? Is it the partisan element that doesn't translate? Do you have any views on why such a globally appreciated sport still struggles for recognition.

General regarding cup tickets and attendances do the club know the percentage of season ticket holders that attend cup games? Most season ticket holders around where I sit only seam to turn up for the later stages of competitions.

Hi General K,

For one of the family fun days has the club ever thought about opening the turnstiles early and having the entertainment on the pitch? GEt fans in early buying food etc. Or could we have a youth team or reserve game on before the first team play? I assume this has been thought of and we can't do it?

I think our attendnaces are linked to our results. If we go on a winning run then the crowds will come back I am sure. I hope Randy is understanding of the trends and that in 18 months time once the economy improves (here's hoping) that we cna get back to averaging the 40K we were a few years ago. If we continue with the likes of transfers of recent weeks and cna keep our best players like Ash, then I think we are in for exciting times and will surpass what we did under MON.

General Krulak here:

1. cracker1234: I think we are all very happy to see Bradley come on loan. I watched him closely during the World Cup and thought that he was the most consistent player on the US Squad. I know that the US is not "world beaters" but Bradley showed he could play a very solid game of football. He has an engine that won't quit and he has a good sense of the game. He is passionate and happy to be at Villa.

2. VillaLiOn: I think Villa has always had a vision of building from within whilst get other Players from the transfer window. I don't think Randy would seek or want credit for that philosophy. We have a very good set of coaches who work with our youth and the results of their hard work are being seen on the Pitch. I think that MON shared the belief that a good youth program is critical to a Club's success.

3. maloneyt: I think I have answered your question in many ways over the past few years. The best way for AVFC to have an anthem is for the FANS to create it. I do NOT think that the Club should develop the anthem. I have continually stated that I felt that the Fans should provide their desired anthem to the Club by utilizing the SCG to get it up to those who can make it happen. As I have said many times before, the Club WILL support the anthem the Fans want.

4. stevenavfc1874: English football is, in my opinion, much more entertaining than any other sport in the US!!!

5. ST holders at cup games. I honestly don't know the answer to that question and I don't think the Club tracks that statistic.

6. Fuse: I understand what you are saying and we are trying to bring Family Fun Days to Villa Park. I do NOT think it would be smart to run games (youth or reserve) on the Pitch before a league game...not good for the pitch.

Gen - Are there any plans to establish us in the US market a bit more, try and tap a revenue stream what with our obvious US connections? Like a feeder club or owt?

Hi General, me again, bet you are bored of me now.

Just another question about the attendances. Have the club considered adding a new ticket category for say the first 15 rows of the Lower Holte? When I get back and rewatch some games on the TV it looks half empty which isn't great.

I know you'll say you can't lower ticket prices but how about for example a £2 decrease in tickets in the bottom half and an increase in tickets in the top half? People would still pay the extra couple of quid at the back of the Lower Holte as it's a great view and believe me a lot of people (particularly families) would rather sit in the bottom half if they are buying a bunch of tickets and can save £8-10.

Thanks

General Krulak here:

1. theunderstudy: This is a subject that we have been hashing over for a couple of years. My sense is that we will eventually do just what you are talking about. I am not sure we are ready yet.

I work for a soccer company in the Midwest (I believe they had a meeting with AVFC officials in October about a possible link) and my job is to coach a lot of young kids at clubs and on summer camps. After working with a lot of 'travel teams' I believe there is a lot of potential in young kids and some great talent out there, unfortunately with the sports system being highly engineered towards 'high school' this is where 'soccer' hits the brickwall. It's the most popular sport played amongst young kids, but when they hit high school all the promising talent gets picked up by Football/Basketball and soccer is left by the way side. It's a shame because some of the facilities for the other sports can be second to none.

If soccer was properly developed at the high school level, I think the USA could turn out some serious talent!

Maybe we could take over Friedel's academy and turn it into an Aston Villa Soccer school!!

General Krulak here:

1. theunderstudy: This is a subject that we have been hashing over for a couple of years. My sense is that we will eventually do just what you are talking about. I am not sure we are ready yet.

On the same note, are we trying to tap into the Asian market in the same way, as we all know having Asian players in the team can create revenue.

General Krulak here:

1. don't_do_it_doug: Our goal now that window is closed? To win as many games as we can...preferably all of them! Realistically? To not drop points against teams we should beat and get points off of teams that are a bit tougher. We want to rise in the table as far as we can.

2. sellyoakvilla: Tinkering with ticket prices right now is not something we want to do. We are, as I indicated, in the process of settling on prices for the coming season...so doing something now would not be too wise.

3. IanTaylor: As I indicated, we ARE looking at joining forces with a Club/Clubs in the US...at various levels. We just have not felt that the time was right. Your comments about football in the US are spot on. We have very good youth teams that show great promise but...when the youth hit high school, they run into the same old syndrome...football, basketball and baseball. Somehow, we need to break into that monopoly. Another problem we have is that at the very young level, the kids are coached by parents...many of who don't know the game. We have to address that fact too.

4. Asian market...again, we are looking to increase our exposure in that market...and are seeing some movement. Again, certain Premiership teams have the "visibility" in that market already...which makes it a bit more difficult.

5. Sani: I have no idea. Next time you are at the shop, just ask.

General,

I think as fans we'd like to see the 2011-12 kit released somewhere before 1st July this year so that people can buy it for their holidays - even considering the difficulties with our supplier this season, the original planned release date was considered very late by most fans - are there any plans to move next seasons release date forward at all?