The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General Krulak here:

3. Family Fun Day...a must win...a cracking atmosphere....only 36,000 showing up counting the away fans. Sad!

Family fun day a roaring success with venue packed out.

At least somebody at the club has a bit of perspective. 36k in a season where we've largely been awful and on the back of last season when we were rubbish at home more often than not. Add the economic climate in the region and 36k is a great turnout.

I don't think the chance to meet a couple of youth team graduates and the chance to win a home shirt are enough to lambast those who either can't afford or can't justify the expense.

Sad.

General,

As you have consistently stated over a number of recent posts you have been concerned/disappointed with our attendances and most recently stated you find our most recent attendance sad.

Are you aware that under our current manager we have won 3 home league games? have for the most part served up gutless tripe whilst at the same time playing players out of position.

Trust me General you will get the hardcore, some would say foolish, thousands like me who will go rain or shine regardless of the the crap that is served up but you want to get sell out crowds week in week out get an inspiring manager who can get us playing attractive and more importantly winning football on a consistent basis.

Mark

Hi General,

With reference to your "sad" comment. I travelled 130 miles there and back today. I bought stuff in and around the ground because I felt that Randy, with the fantastic transfer window, deserved my support (and that of my 12 year old son). I have also purchased the triple header ticket promotion for the Blackburn, Newcastle and Wolves games for us both. This despite the poor quality of football that I am watching on the pitch. I appreciate that Rome wasn't built in a day but you must understand that this works both ways. The club made their choice by selecting Mr Houllier as Manager, the fans choice is not to attend games because they are not enjoying what they are seeing. Call us fickle if you like but if I don't like a particular sweater, I don't buy it.

Best wishes,

Steve.

General we are all struggling and though I still go VAT is up, Fuel is up, people are losing their jobs so the sad comment is a tad naive in my opinion.

What I will say is that like a lot other clubs the is a large element of fickleness with fans and though I hate that the only way to get the fans back is play better. I am not happy with some of the things I am seeing but I am going to back GH to get it right in the summer but please dont think that the fans will make the sacrifices they need to make to get a ticket this early, especially with the gabby and young farce.

P.S

Forget the Young negotiations, he looks as though he is playing for himself not the team and his feelings of grandeur are really getting to his head.

General Krulak here:

1. markavfc40 and others: The "sad" comment. I am not sure where any of us disagree...as I have CONSISTENTLY stated, I know the impact of the economy, jobs, play on the Pitch, etc. etc. Why, after ALL my comments re. the environment and situation we find ourselves in...as people and as a Country...would you immediately interpret my comment as a negative and slam against the fans??????? Let me reiterate what I said...we have a Family Fun Day, a Huge game, and only 36,000 expected to attend. That IS sad! I did not, in any way, indicate this was a slam at our Fans. Quite the contrary, I have, for the last multiple posts, talked about the very issues you have talked about. PLEASE don't be so quick to judge me....try to read what I have said before on a subject and then put the comment in context. You will quickly see that there is no disagreement. I think you ALL would agree that it is sad to see only 36,000 fans at a game...for ALL the reasons mentioned. Some of those reasons we have some control over.....most we do not. I think Randy has certainly showed that he is doing his best to work on the reasons that he has some control over.

2. Yes, we do have people working with the defense.

3. I hope no one on this site truly expects me to talk about Players, Manager, etc. It would be of ZERO value and would only end up in print in some daily fish-wrapper.

7. contract with Nike to expire after this coming year. Kit will be out early.

Hi General, was this a decision made by AVFC or Nike & what was the thought process in coming to this decision?

General, I take it this means the end of this season. Could you explain what the process is in terms of securing suppliers? Do we invite companies or do the approach us? How is this then evaluated, as on the face of it, Nike have failed miserably in kit delivery every year? I say face of it, as I do not know the contractural agreement but kits arriving so late in the summer (and winter as this year), is not great.

General,

My firt time posting to your good self.

I was wondering if as a club we were able to put our shirt design into our kit manufacturer early?

Man Utd and Chelsea wore their shirts for this season on the last day the season last year and their kits were readily available to but in June/July.

Are we able to do something a little similar for our club??

Thanks.

General Krulak here:

1. Nike contract: My comment simply meant that we signed a contract with Nike several years ago and the length of the contract has it expiring at the end of this season. That does not mean that won't be entertaining Nike again...only that the contract runs out at that time. We approach manufacturers and they approach us...sort of like any business would do. We hope to have our kit out early this coming year.

2. markavfc40: I have no comment on Liverpool....I am focused on Aston Villa FC, not Liverpool.

3. billyjoes: Not a bad idea!!!

General,

How much of an impact will our league placing have on available transfer budget in the summer given that 6th ( our regular position under your good selves ) gets 12 million and 14th our current position gets 5.6mill? will our league position impact on any deal we strike with our next kit manufacturer?

Also how concerned are you with our current league placing and the fact that our current manager is currently matching the first 21 game points total of a certin Billy McNeill?

Regards

Mark

General,

Watching coverage of the Superbowl last night, there was a bit during halftime where highlights of the season were shown. I presume this, and other, reels were put together by NFL Films.

It brought me back to the NFL Films production of "Proud History Bright Future" from a few years ago. Filmed, if I remember, during a match vs Sheffield Utd.

Given that it's been a couple of years and lots has changed at Villa Park, would the club consider commissioning NFL Films again to update things?

General,

Watching coverage of the Superbowl last night, there was a bit during halftime where highlights of the season were shown. I presume this, and other, reels were put together by NFL Films.

It brought me back to the NFL Films production of "Proud History Bright Future" from a few years ago. Filmed, if I remember, during a match vs Sheffield Utd.

Given that it's been a couple of years and lots has changed at Villa Park, would the club consider commissioning NFL Films again to update things?

Seconded I think that would be a great idea, the original was really good.

How about a "Tekkers" type competition ( Soccer A.M if you haven't seen it sir ) between fans and players? AVTV subscribers get to vote and win a car or something, just shooting ideas out there :D