The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General,

I expect the club to set minimum targets that those responsible for such things should achieve and I see no harm in making those targets public. The supporters are the club without them there is no club so I'd suggest they should have knowledge of what the board expect as a minimum.

Mark

General,

Regarding the planned renovation of The North Stand, are we moving ahead with this in the near future (if not this summer?) If so are there any links to or any plans to release the design/plans for the renovation? Will it be becoming a more closed-in stadium (rather than four separate stands and more of an actual 'stadium'). Can't help but think moving in that direction will greatly help the future atmosphere, when I went to Old Trafford a few weeks back, as quiet as it was, when Utd did score the noise was electric, would definitely be in favour of us moving towards a model similar to this.

As a side note, if the leg-room in The North Stand could be increased that'd be great, as a student i'd love to be in the North Stand for the favourable rates (if they are continued) but people I go with, including family, refuse to sit in that area as some of us are too tall to sit down with some form of comfort in that stand, a silly reason - but for more casual fan's one bad experience could put them off going more regularly, they may not realise better seating is available for similarish rates.

I hope you are well.

Would I be correct to understand the renovation of the North Stand (which will take place in the next couple of years) is distinctly separate from the total rebuilding of the North Stand which is a medium to long term aim and dependant upon attendance demand?

I ask because some supporters (not just Shoody, above), have talked about the planned 'rebuild' in the next year or so, mentioning wrap-around roofs, more legroom, etceteras; things unlikely in a renovation. I hope you can clarify the clubs plans.

UTV!

General Krulak here;

1. markavfc40: If I thought it was really important to the dialogue and not just another way to get at a pet peeve...be it a Board member, a player, the owner or the Manager, I would give it a go. Obviously we set our goals very high...what Club would do otherwise? What Fan would want otherwise. Talking about "minimums" to someone who has spent his adult life in a business where "minimums" normally meant dead or wounded is not something I feel prepared to discuss.

2 brumstopdogs: Why has the Club dropped "so alarmingly"? I would imagine that many have that same question and many have their own views. First off, the season is not over yet...and I am NOT someone who thinks we will end up "closer to the bottom four." Secondly, there are some pretty obvious issues that we have had to face and get through. Third, there are new members of the Squad who are still fitting in...good players who will make a huge impact. Again, I am not ready, as you apparently are, to throw in the towel on this season.

3. North stand...will all be included in the overall project for Villa Park...not a separate entity at this time.

General

I dont know if there would be any security issues with this idea but how about locating a couple of live webcams around the outside of the ground (HolteCam. VillaVillageCam)

Just thought it might be of interest to our overseas supporters or people who cant get to many games to see the buildup to the matches etc

Thanks

Thanks for your response General.

The reality is if the current 4th place team wins their game in hand we will be 19 points off 4th place (our reported target).

The other reality is we are currently 3 points off the bottom four.

My question is looking at the above what gives you the confidence to say we we won't be closer to the bottom four?

Thanks.

Please look to see if your question has already been asked or answered before posting......please understand that comments made on the thread either by Fans or the General himself are "fair game" to the media ...

3. North stand...will all be included in the overall project for Villa Park...not a separate entity at this time.

General, can you expand on this?

In the short term, will the North Stand be renovated (similar to the projects on the Trinity Road Stand and Holte Suite), before it is rebuilt (demolish and build new), in the long term (depending on demand)?

General

post edited by mods, for breaching the thread rules

General Krulak's thread is for Q&A, the raising of issues and the passing of info two ways ONLY. It is NOT for discussions or banter between posters. Please look to see if your question has already been asked or answered before posting. Questions about transfers may not be asked...

have the club considered appointing a Director of Football similar to how transfers work at clubs such as Spurs and Liverpool.

Not an indictment on the transfer itself as I think everybody unanimously agrees it was a fantastic signing regardless of who instigated it. Also no indictment on Houllier's transfer market ability as, again, I think we all agree tremendously that he is a very good manager in terms of signing new players and the ones that have been brought in thus far (Pires not included) have been very good.

would just be interested to know the clubs standing on current and future transfers.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Nice to see Martin Laurssen's face around the club again.

General, as a season ticket holder in the lower north I will be looking to renew for the very first time, however I am undecided on whether to keep my seat or not. Will the North Stand re-development be taking place this summer? If so what will happen to the current season ticket holders in the North Stand? Will we get first choice for seats in the newly built North Stand? Also exactly what changes can we expect to see from this re-development? More leg room I hope ...

Hi General,

Hope you are well.

Gerard Houllier was quoted as saying when he arrived that Villa were a team that would usually be expected to finish between 8th and 12th places in the league, or something along those lines. Now, I suspect that the club's senior management want us to finish in the top 4, to bring in Champions League football revenue.

So, with all of the above in mind, will Gerard Houllier have a target of trying to get us into the top 4 next season? and if so, is the agenda for the summer to try to get the players in/out that GH feels is needed to make us top 4 contenders?

I ask this with respect General. I am not suggesting that we give GH that target and then fire him if we fail, there is no hidden meaning behind my question at all. I asked merely because it seemed that the target for the previous manager was to challenge for that top 4 place and he came very close on more than once occasion. Obviously, for whatever reasons, we will be way off that mark this season, hence the reason for my question.

Up The Villa!

Hi Gen,

Can see this question was asked early on in the thread but not sure if it was clarified completely. When asked you replied that no, the recent signings would not stand in the way of the planned North Stand redevelopment.

My question is a little more focussed, are the plans still firmly in place to redevelop the North Stand this summer? Also, if yes, are there any plans to introduce a bridging fee between current North Stand Season Ticket prices and the planned prices once the redevelopment is complete?

My guess would be that the plan is to bring the North Stand pricings in-line with the rest of the stadium which is understandable but I think the club needs to recognise that there are people in the North who would ordinarily have not been able to afford a season ticket prior to the ‘cheap’ pricings being available. My concern is that the club will lose a segment of ST holders overnight if the increase in pricing is too steep too quickly.

Also, if the redevelopment is still to go ahead, what are the contingency plans for the current season ticket holders located there? Will we be offered a seat at a similar price elsewhere in the stadium as I presume the construction work will eat into the regular season?

Thanks

General,

One of the best things about our football club at the moment is our youth development programme. However, I was interested to read recently about my local team, Watford, who have linked up with a local school in an academy system which allows promising youngsters from across the region 15 hours of football per week, under the supervision of the Watford coaches, alongside their academic studies and in an environment that is less disruptive to their wider education. It has already seemingly reaped benefits. More details can be found here and here.

This method of teaching youngsters seems to be the future, and I wondered whether the club would consider facilitating a similar link up?

Gen

After seeing ticket information for the Man City cup game, there is no information whether tickets will go to 'away booking history' or 'general sale'? Also with the tickets being sold so close to the game and not living in Birmingham will there be tickets available to collect/buy at the stadium before the game?

Thanks in advance!

General Krulak here:

1. ChristChurchVilla: No.

2. brumstopdogs: Because we are a better team.

3. Director of Football: I do not see us getting a Director of Football...we do not see a need for one.

4. villarocker: Top 4 is absolutely our goal...and I honestly think that we will do it. We will strengthen the squad again, everyone will be settled in and comfortable...we will be huge!

5. The North Stand/North End redevelopment is not on a racing time line. It will happen when we feel it is right to make happen. Current seating and new seating will be done with consultation with fans. We learned our lesson at Trinity Road.

Hi General

Just wondering if there is any strategy in place for promoting the Villa brand beyond the UK (& to a lesser extent the USA)? I would love to see a bit more of a profile for the club here in Australia - eg Mark Bosnich is a TV pundit over here and is constantly referred to as "former Chelsea and Man United goalkeeper". The fact that he was at Villa first doesn't even get a mention because the club simply has no profile over here, apart from Brummie expats and people like me who just adopted a club and decided on Villa. It would be nice to see the club come up with a few ways to "get noticed" & perhaps get a few more people joining the Villa cause.