The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General

I have two young sons - one of whom has decided to support Villa, the other Tottenham (we live in North London).

I have to say I was really impressed by the 'package' offered by Tottenham when you become a junior member. Free bag, poster, pen, football, autograph book.

By contrast, with Villa you can only play games online - there doesn't seem to be so much as a free poster you can get.

Is the club missing a trick here? Just seems like a great way to 'reel in' fans at a young age. Bribery always works with kids!

General,

When in a situation like that we are in with Ashely Young do the club look at the threads started by fans on forums to get a good indication of how the fans feel about that player to weigh up the impact or backlash that could come from selling/losing a player?

General,

Has the FA started discussing the potential of the winter break being discussed by FIFA officials, at least for the 2022 WC but I believe it has been discussed before and beyond just 2022. Would it have a negative impact on the club or do you think it could be worked out?

Thanks for answering my question regarding developing club ties in the US. I'm disappointed but thanks none the less.l

General Krulak here:

1. pompeyvillan: A very good question. Obviously, the goal is to have a Club that brings in more revenue than incurs expense....not a flash of brilliance in that statement. So you are right. We recognized early on (prior to buying Club) that we were going to have to spend in order to get the Club to where it shows a profit...that may sound strange, but it is true. Yes, we could have cut players, not participated in transfers, not built up the infrastructure, etc. etc. but we would have been cutting our own throats. So, we did in fact spend...and continue to spend. I think it has been pretty obvious that Randy is willing to spend money to obtain his goal. I do not see Randy ever reaching the point when he decides not to invest in the Club...that just would make zero sense. The Board is not looking to exist mid-table and neither is Randy...that has NEVER been the goal. We recognize the reality of the Premiership...that it is a very difficult league...but that doesn't mean that our goal will ever be mid-table.

2. dudley_villa: I am not privy to the answers to your questions.

3. didiersix: Yes, it would appear that we may well be missing a trick here. Let me take for action.

4. b6bloke: No, I can't honestly say that the Club looks at forums to get an idea of the Fans view of selling/losing a player. Player decisions need to be made by management...not by Fans. As you know, there is a great deal that goes into decisions re. players...things that are best evaluated by the Manager, Coaches and Club. If we started to put Fans into the equation...make player decisions based upon fan input, we would probably run into some real problems. Simply put, even with the best of intentions, the Fans don't always agree and they certainly don't have all the facts. This is NOT knocking the Fans...it is simply stating the obvious. No Club can afford to make player decisions based upon fan input.

3. stephen_evans: I will see what our folks have to say about this.

General,

Have you seen the proposals being mooted about by the FA to revamp the format of the FA Cup?

Some of the proposals are imo insane. The final to KO at 5.30. Midweek matches with no replays, the seeding of teams, regionalised matches.

Please read about it here

Sir,

I would be interested to know your opinions on this firstly as a fan and then as a Director of our fine club.

Will Aston Villa FC be having an input to the proposals and if so what will be our take on this?

Thank you

Thanks for the reply General though my question wasn't meant about taking the opinion of fans to decide on a players future it was more if you were in a situation where a popular player was looking to get out and you wanted to see the fans view on whether the fans felt the club had done enough or whether they felt the player was the problem.

General, I was contacted reference Villa's season ticket survey group but I have to say that although most likely not the fault of Villa I really have to question the company you have doing this.

Contacted today to come to a session tomorrow at 4pm in Solihull, not only a time when most people are still at work but a bit short notice. I wanted to play my part even though leaving work an hour and a half early at short notice wasn't easy but to be then told we had to do pre session homework too! Not only too short notice but I quote "Before you come along to the session, we would like you to do a small exercise which involves you creating a couple of collages about the season ticket holder experience to bring along to the group"

Does this sound the sort of things that your average season ticket holder would do?? Leave work early, travel costs, maybe parking, giving up my Tuesday Evening cutting out pictures, the time doing this and the 1 hour 45 doing the survey is just a bit much for some vouchers which Villa get back anyway.

I would seriously question the results you get from the survey.

General Krulak here:

3. didiersix: Yes, it would appear that we may well be missing a trick here. Let me take for action.

Thanks General - as I say, I was impressed - you actually become a member of the club (with membership card etc.), the club send out email updates to me etc. It really is an excellent system - one that in theory will get and keep fans from an early age.

General, would their ever be an idea to move the players Tunnel closer to the Holte? Just feel if players came out with the Holte facing, we could make it quite daunting for the opposition sides as at the moment when teams fill out the away section they face their own fans before seeing the home crowd, Don't know the logistics, just sounding out an idea.

Don't know how viable this is General but for the facebook page I notice they create events for the games coming up, if its viable and possible would inviting everyone on that page to the games see ticket sales rise at all, maybe more an appropriate question for the IT guys.

General, please pass on a thumbs-up to the ticket office for me.

I purchased an extra ticket for the Blackburn game yesterday at 1.30pm, and it arrived in the post at 9am today.

Great service! :thumb:

Rob.

General - on a similar note to the question posted by stephen_evans, why are we wearing Claret socks? I posted this earlier in this thread, its just not Villa! Is this a decision taken by Nike or was it a club thing? Either way, can we go back to Blue socks, we clearly have them as we wore them against Man Utd!

Keep up the good work!!

Dave

General Krulak here:

1. imavillan: As a Fan, there is much about this proposal that I just don't understand. We have a FA Cup competition that has proven to be a winner over the years. It combines many of the great things of sport...good competition, a golden opportunity for the underdog, a real fan favorite, etc. etc. I just am not sure I understand why we would want to mess with something that is so successful. I have NOT seen the entire proposal nor do I know how many and who are backing the change. I am sure that the entire League will give the proposal a very close look.

2. AngelGabriel: We are still looking at what we might be doing during the off-season after the big trip.

3. b6bloke: I honestly don't think that the Manager or the Club would look to a fan site to determine if a player was to stay or go. It just wouldn't make any sense. So much goes into a decision like that...depending or consulting a fan web site is probably not in the cards.

4. maradona16: I do not think we will be moving the tunnel. Simply put, all of the dressing rooms, the referees rooms, the Manager's rooms and the Press room are all right in the tunnel area. It wouldn't make any sense to move all of that plus the expense would be HUGE.

5. Dave1380: I must confess I don't know why we are wearing claret socks...probably because that is what the Manager called for. I will ask the question and see what the answer is.

General,

Obviously in an ideal world we would like to win every game between now and the end of the season but as the last two disappointing results have shown we don't live in an ideal world. With this in mind, and without giving exact numbers ( unless you want to ), do the board have minimum targets in mind in terms of points accumulated come the end of the season and if that is the case and these minimum targets are not met will questions be asked of those responsible and/or action taken?

This season as so far been a huge disappointment as we have massively under achieved, and at times embarrassing due to the managers antics, but I'd at least like to think that those responsible for getting results have/are being told in no uncertain terms that it is not acceptable and that big improvements are expected between now and the end of the season. Is this the case?

Kind Regards

Mark

General Krulak here:

1. AVFC-Prideofbrum: Barca would be a helluva game...and a real crowd pleaser. I would imagine that their "dance card" is already filled for this summer.

2. markavfc40 and dbsboots: I am not sure what value there can be found in the Director of the Club answering questions such as you pose. Do you really expect me to answer such comments/questions?