Project Anthem [Poll Added To OP]

Shoody

Anthem Choice  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem Choice

• The Bells are Ringing
    • Ghost Riders
    • Stand by Me

Could one of the posters who keep banging on about the **** 'bells are ringing' tell me why its never sung at Villa Park and hasnt been for at least 7 years? Thanks.

OK potty mouth! Probably because it doesn't contain any swear words, doesn't mention the blues or doesn't start with the words "Stand up if", therefore very much not de rigueur at VP.

Could one of the posters who keep banging on about the **** 'bells are ringing' tell me why its never sung at Villa Park and hasnt been for at least 7 years? Thanks.

OK potty mouth! Probably because it doesn't contain any swear words, doesn't mention the blues or doesn't start with the words "Stand up if", therefore very much not de rigueur at VP.

I heard Ghostriders played yesterday, it wasn't exactly loud or clear though. It's no good just playing it like that, the lads around me knew nothing about it or about the possibilty of us having a club anthem. The club need to help.

I agree with WhatAboutTheFinish, too much anti Blues crap and as for the "Stand up if you" chant, just woeful. The worst chant ever invented!!

Touchy subject isnt it. Sorry if my expletive offended you but I'm perplexed by the evangelical fervour that such a minority wish for the said song to be compulsory.

For the record there's a lot of songs that arent up to much and if your a bit sensitive to swearing then you're in a bit of trouble up the Villa. The poll/choice on this thread are quite frankly comical and its going to take quite a few sessions of choir practice to get 'stand by me' going.

Just out of interest where do you sit?

its weird how the General said he would be behind the anthem but i have now asked him twice about promoting the poll both of have which have been ignored.

im going to set up a separate one on a new thread because of un-intentional voting.

EDIT: cant set up new 1, don't know how to make a poll.

Mods can you add one to this please?

maybe you are asking the wrong questions ?

not read you post to the gen but if you havn`t asked then maybe ask him who it is best to speak to about getting VP involved

I heard Ghostriders played yesterday, it wasn't exactly loud or clear though. It's no good just playing it like that, the lads around me knew nothing about it or about the possibilty of us having a club anthem. The club need to help.

They've been playing Ghostriders for the last few games (certainly since Spurs as my old man was tapping along to it as he is an ardent Cash fan) so I doubt it has anything to do with this thread.

someone on the last page i think mentioned Hi ho Aston Villa (the one they play at the end of the game for anyone that doesn't know), think this could be good. what do people think about this?

EDIT: i actually think this is a really good shout:

lyrics: http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/h/hihosilverlining.shtml

maybe just use the first verse and the chorus.

we sing more songs about blues than we do villa

And that just seems a bit wrong to me... although a full house singing 'My Old Man' at the top of our lungs does sound amazing and sends a chill down the spine.

Bill B wrote

Touchy subject isnt it. Sorry if my expletive offended you but I'm perplexed by the evangelical fervour that such a minority wish for the said song to be compulsory.

Who said anything about compulsory? A thread was started and opinions were given. Those of us older than 21 remember this song from our youth. As was said, no swear words, no B-lose references and simple tune and song. Same can't be said for the Ghostriders song - although it is a good one.

Take a chill pill and enjoy the debate!

(only occured from a drunken night - see the "what song are you playing..." thread).

VILLLAAAAA...got me on my knees....VILLLAAAAA

(needs a tweak with the lyrics but that intro would sound ace :))

Don't care if we love singing about how shot blues are, we need to sing more about OUR club. Why are we singing about a club who are the footballing equivalent of cancer?

It shouldn't be as hard as it is for us to get new or at least some golden oldie chants about avfc onto the stands. But it bloody is.

In my Post a few days ago, I reminded Villans of Neil Diamond's songs being played over the PA System during the 70's. I mentioned "Beautiful Noise". Maybe I'm a bit late in suggesting a new Anthem but I think this would sound terrific (just don't ask me to compose the words lol). Any feelings on this?

Bill B wrote

Who said anything about compulsory? A thread was started and opinions were given. Those of us older than 21 remember this song from our youth. As was said, no swear words, no B-lose references and simple tune and song. Same can't be said for the Ghostriders song - although it is a good one.

Take a chill pill and enjoy the debate!

Dennis the Doctor told me I had to stop taking those as I was enjoying myself too much.

I'm 49 now and I've had a few hiatus from Villa for various reasons, but I cannot for the life of me remember this song being sung full voice, certainly not before 1983.

I fully admit I dont like the song and think it weak with totally uninspired lyrics. The idea of having an 'anthem' has become just a little over inflated and not necessary (in my humble opinion).

Â