Signed: Darren Bent £18m rising to £24m with add on's

dudevillaisnice

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a doubt the best proven goalscorer we could currently attract. My concern is that unless we sign Charlie Adam, playing this stupid 4-4-1-1 formation still won't work. We don't have a player that can play that role behind the striker. He'd just end up isolated like the rest this season. We didn't exactly pepper the box with crosses on Sunday against poor full backs. 4-5-1/4-3-3 would suit us better in my opinion.

I cant help but think that all of this is just a smoke screen and is simply a publicity stunt by Lerner & co to take our attention away from the bigger issue here.

When I know where to get a copy of Makoun's checkered jumper, then we can move onto other issues like this.

Just been thinking about a factor in all this, and it's one which doesn't usually benefit Villa - the London draw.

Bent was born in Tooting, probably still has family there/in and around London, he's played for Charlton and Spurs (and no doubt has mates at both clubs) etc. He must be very isolated in the North East as he's miles away from everyone. He can't just jump in the car and be in London within an hour or two.

None of the London clubs are in for him, so a move to Villa makes sense (on a personal level).

It's blatant that he wants to play for us considering he's handed in a transfer request AND he's even taken the trouble to drive to the Midlands so he can be there ready to discuss personal terms.

Of course there is a club leading the league with aspirations for the title who need a goal scorer to convert their away draws into victories, who may now be alerted........

They might not actually have the cash as we do but, unlike most others, they can at least lay their hands on some when needed....

They've got Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov plus Wellbeck & Diouf out on loan. Can't see them being interested tbh.

So are Sunderland trying to spark a bidding war here?

Doubt it, the top teams don't need him. Manure need to put chances away, but they still have an abundance of brilliant strikers, Chelsea could be a possible but I don't think he'd suit their system, plus if they had £20million to spare they'd go for a bigger name.

I don't think any other teams bar Citeh/Spurs have the money to splash.

Would love to see this go through, HOWEVER...

18m is robbery. We should be paying no more than 15m. Whats this I hear it could raise to 24m with add ons?? That's just shy of what City paid for Dzeko!! **** hell we're getting in up the wrong 'un for him!

well bugger me with a fish fork.....

at last a manager who knows what a striker is and wants to buy one...thank you gerard.....

and the money? meh...who cares....it's not mine, Randy's sensible and this is obviously a move we can afford after Milner and after we trim our average players on massive wages.......

if Sunderland had offered us a straight swap last season for Milner and Bent i would have taken it and thats essentially whats happened......

The most important thing is THE GUY SCORES GOALS!!!