Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

Still not convinced. If this window is as big as some of the conjecture suggests it might be, then we really ought to be finishing in the top half. Our squad should already be finishing in the top half.

Less than that is, quite simply, a poor season.

But the litmus test will be the first few months of next season, I feel.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I back Houllier because I still like the way the team plays. However the players haven't been there. O'Neill gave us a great base to build from, I won't deny that.

Alot of our key players got 1 year older.

Alot of our key players have been injured and our depth was massively exposed.

You can't judge Houllier until he has a full season or two under his belt. I also like that he has international/french ties, which allowed us to get a guy like Makoun who otherwise would not even consider a team like us.

Houllier certainly seems to be building his own now and it seems to be in line with what most of us could see was required to improve the team. So far with Walker and Makoun in and hopefully Bent and Adam he appears to be filling the obvious gaps that the previous incumbent was incapable of seeing/filling. After the summer when all the squad should be Houllier's the real test will come in making the progress that we seemed to struggle with over the past few years i.e. taking a big shot at the top 4.

Happy so far this window though and a bit more confident that we will not be talking parachutes in the summer.

The board should give GH at least 3 seasons and a bit of financial backing before looking to change, if we are back up to the 5th or 6th place then we should be happy.

So far with Walker and Makoun in and hopefully Bent and Adam he appears to be filling the obvious gaps that the previous incumbent was incapable of seeing/filling

This.

It was so frustrating watching MoN signing shite players who we didnt necessarily need in the first place.

Say what you like about Houllier, but i am very impressed with what hes doing in the transfer market, and the way he is identifying the deadwood in the squad and the areas we need to strengthen.

Its gonna take time but i reakon we could have the best squad weve had in ages come the start of next season.

My biggest concern with Houllier was the fact he had apparently lost the dressing room by trying to change too much too soon. Wihout additional players coming in we were always going to be in serious danger of going down because he needs those still here to give their all for him and that might not be the case if they are pissed off.

If he gets 4 or 5 new faces into the starting line up then fair play, he may just be able to get us shooting back up the table and maybe into a top 10 finish again. To be fair, Randy has backed him big time so GH has no hiding place after this. He has to keep us up and has to get this team producing the goods. His tactics are sometimes strange and I am hoping he learns from this by seeing the performances and realising his mistakes. If he does and he gets the players totally on side then maybe he can take us to where we want to be. That's what I am hoping for but first he needs to get these players playing winning football.

One word of caution for you Gerard. Don't go mouthing off to the press and criticising Darren Bent if he misses a couple of sitters in a game. That will not work with this player! He needs an arm on the shoulder to tell him not to worry and that the goals will come for him like they always do!

It has to be said that I've been impressed with Houllier so far this window. As has already been said: we're filling the obvious gaps. Not just filling but with quality that improves upon what we have (and boy has it been needed).

Seems like Houllier is staying then? :winkold:

Wonder if any of this would've happened if we'd lost to SHA on Sunday?

Given that a bid for Bent went in last week then it seems it would.

Fair play to Houllier his ventures in to the market have been excellent so far. Long may it continue and provided results pick up, which is obviously essential, then we'll all be happy.

Definatly this, what went on is gone, lets just push on from now.

No GH fan myself - Chuffed with Walker on loan -looks a real find - Mkooun has good pedigree, but unproven in the prem as yet - and Bent is the better striker than I dared hoped for this window (I d have been chuffed with Robbie Keane !).

What I really hope - and still feel it will define GH at VP - is that we move away from the ponderous slow build up - it wastes the speed of Young, Gabby, and potentially Bent - Through Balls for these guys to chase will test even the sternest of defences

good win tonight, and its clear to see where the next improvement is coming under ged

we've got the striker now, we pass the ball around somewhat aimlessly at times, but we've given up hoofing for the first 70 minutes of the game and the defence looks a little more solid

the big one now is player movement. its hard to see how that wont be the next thing addressed, and once it is i think we're going to be a hell of a lot tougher to play against

our movement has always been non existent in the last few years, and until its addressed we'll continue to wear ourselves out chasing the game

Agree got it spot on today and it paid off, defence is starting to look sharp again aswell.. I'm actually glad Walker never started, we have Wigan in 3 days he will play then I presume.

The only minor point I have is about Gabby being played out of position, but I think Houllier would rather have him on the pitch than on the bench, I also think Gabby would rather play.. Hopefully with Makoun coming in he will probably get another role, I'd rather he played tbh rather then rotting on the bench - his pace is key.

I think he has gone through the bad spell and will ride out the worst. I'll give him til the end of the season, and see who he can bring in in the summer. Good times ahead I think!

imo the transfer market is his real strength. id quite like to see him move upstairs when he's replaced as manager, and take a director of football role

Â