Who do you believe is at fault for this situation

paulanddonya

Who do you believe is at fault for this situation?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you believe is at fault for this situation?

• Martin O'Neill - he left us in it, with a aging and expensive squad
    • Randy Lerner - has he done a Doug, got us so far, then cut all spending
    • The players - could they do better but are refusing to do so as they love Martin
    • Gerard Houllier - is he just killing us

When MON left i wrote off the season. Thought it would be a disappointment with us destined for a mid table positon and a gap widening between the top teams and us.

MON can take some blame for the situation.

However, that is no excuse for the position we find ourselves in.

The search for a new manager took far too long and the end esult was obviously a big mistake. Randycan take some blame.

Since GH's arrival it has been a disaster. He has dragged us down and down. A manager has to deal with players and the challenges that entails, he has failed. When you are stuck with a group of players you need to get them on side, not cause ruction after ruction.

His man management is non existant, his tatics inept.

GH entered a bad situation but he has made it a 100 times worse. There is no way we should be in such a low position, there is no way we should be trying to completely rebuild a side in a January transfer window. There is no way he can continue if we lose the next few matches.

I believe Lerner is resposnbile due to his naivety and loyalty towards O’Neill with regards to spending. He backed him to the hilt, but this money was not spent wisely. We do not have a squad of quality or depth to rely on. In fact, we’re over reliant on a few key inderviduals and over reliant on one method of attack.

I think O’Neill is responsible for failing to get us into the top four with the money he’d spent. I think other managers have shown a greater capacity to get better bang for their buck in relation to spending and/or wages than O’Neill. His failing feels like a missed opportunity.

I also hold O’Neill responsible for doing one of the poorest stunts in Aston Villa’s history- walking out on the club five days before the start of the campaign. The self preservation of brand O’Neill has cost us dear. He had two options, walk in May or give this season a shot and try and finish what he had started. Either scenario would not have seen us struggle as we are now. We could have recycled players out the door and brought in fresh faces and had a greater choice of manager.

I blame Houllier for his odd team selections and his ruffling of the players feathers which has put so many noses out of joint. It might needed to have been done and it might be morally right- but now was not the time to do it. I also blame him for failing to deliver enough good performances and crucially enough results.

I blame the players. It was clear to me yesterday that some of them lack professional pride and integrity. Some of them are not interested in playing for the manager or playing for the club. Their behaviour and attitude is a disgrace.

I think O’Neill is responsible for failing to get us into the top four with the money he’d spent. I think other managers have shown a greater capacity to get better bang for their buck in relation to spending and/or wages than O’Neill. His failing feels like a missed opportunity.

You think mon is to blame for not being some kind of managerial genius? Don't know how anyone who has watched premiership football over the years could argue that the money we spent should have got us top 4.

I also hold O’Neill responsible for doing one of the poorest stunts in Aston Villa’s history- walking out on the club five days before the start of the campaign. The self preservation of brand O’Neill has cost us dear

I just don't buy this argument, if it was all about protecting himself he would have quit earlier, it hasn't made him look good leaving when he did.

I think O’Neill is to blame for not having the negotiating skills of Redknapp or Moyes who got more, but paid less for it.

If you look at the context of the past two seasons, then we did indeed go very close, but fell away at the crucial times. Better squad management and a few less Marlon Harewoods, Beye’s and Sidwell’s might have done us the trick with a bit more variety and quality. Ultimately he failed though, which was very disappointing and it now feels like a missed opportunity- especially as we look enviously on at Spurs.

I believe that the man is a word removed for walking out on us. I was an O’Neill fan, I wanted him to give it one more go- but now he belongs in the same category as Billy McNeill and O’Leary in the list of despised Villa managers. It was a cowardly act of self preservation- whether it was calculated, who knows? Either way, the facts are there, he baulked at the task and walked out on us, starting this nightmarish season off. The response from his acolytes in the media made it clear that brand O’Neill had been protected and how dare little Aston Villa do what they’d done to him?

He’s not the only reason though, he’s just one of the characters I hold responsible for this mess.

**** this blame culture.

It's not as simple as all of this.

Absolutely. Everyone needs someone to blame. It's a natural human reaction to try to problem solve by simplifying right down and attempting to find patterns. To rise above this and realise there are lots of complex compounding factors is the best thing to do.

You think mon is to blame for not being some kind of managerial genius? Don't know how anyone who has watched premiership football over the years could argue that the money we spent should have got us top 4.

I also hold O’Neill responsible for doing one of the poorest stunts in Aston Villa’s history- walking out on the club five days before the start of the campaign. The self preservation of brand O’Neill has cost us dear

I just don't buy this argument, if it was all about protecting himself he would have quit earlier, it hasn't made him look good leaving when he did.

I dont know why you live in denial about MON. He spent a lot of money on wages for shit players and left us in a bad spot after agreeing the Milner sale and then **** off.

If I met him in a pub i would punch him

All 4 have to take the blame plus Paul Faulkner.

MON- Only interested in the MON brand, wasted millions on players, then played them out of position or not at all. Planned his departure

Lerner- Man at the top, clearly his management team have not performed and therefore needs to make big decisions sooner rather than later. Needs to recruit a football person to the board eg Dennis Mortimer, Ian Taylor for example.

Players- Where is the self motivation, the pride? No clear leader of men on the pitch. Results can be excepted, the way you loose can't

Houllier- In 4 months, declared his love in public for Liverpool, numerous fall outs with players, no tactics, fans calling for his head and he says we're the best fans.... says it all.

Faulkner- You will come and go. Like it or not, we are born Villa fans and die Villa fans, we know our club and we know that Houllier is wrong. You can spin it all you like but you need to listen to us.

I think O’Neill is to blame for not having the negotiating skills of Redknapp or Moyes who got more, but paid less for it.

If you look at the context of the past two seasons, then we did indeed go very close, but fell away at the crucial times. Better squad management and a few less Marlon Harewoods, Beye’s and Sidwell’s might have done us the trick with a bit more variety and quality. Ultimately he failed though, which was very disappointing and it now feels like a missed opportunity- especially as we look enviously on at Spurs.

I believe that the man is a word removed for walking out on us. I was an O’Neill fan, I wanted him to give it one more go- but now he belongs in the same category as Billy McNeill and O’Leary in the list of despised Villa managers. It was a cowardly act of self preservation- whether it was calculated, who knows? Either way, the facts are there, he baulked at the task and walked out on us, starting this nightmarish season off. The response from his acolytes in the media made it clear that brand O’Neill had been protected and how dare little Aston Villa do what they’d done to him?

He’s not the only reason though, he’s just one of the characters I hold responsible for this mess.

To just say if we'd signed a few better players we would have got 4th is expecting a bit much. Maybe we could have signed better than harewood and beye but then you could argue that if he hadn't been able to pick up some gems like carew, dunne, young and milner we wouldn't have even been in the fight for 4th.

Given the years of investment the sky 4 and spurs have had i can't call it a failure that we didn't get into the top 4, the money we spent was never going to be enough to catch up and overtake teams that have had been spending more for years and are seen as a more attractive option.

I'm not happy with when he left but i think the timing of his departure shows something has changed, he's never left a club in the lurch like that before so to me i think things went on that we will never know about. I'm not happy with the timing of his departure but TBH i can't say i blame him for the reasons. Every season he got us closer to top 4 and got us more points and i think deciding to stop backing him was a big mistake, a mistake i bet lerner wishes he could go back and change now.

I dont know why you live in denial about MON. He spent a lot of money on wages for shit players and left us in a bad spot after agreeing the Milner sale and then **** off.

You think MON could have stopped the milner sale?

I think your living in denial if you keep banging on about how bad the squad he left us with is.

I'm not in denial i just think its ridiculous that a man who hasn't made a single decision in any of our games this season can be equally to blame as the current manager.

Randy also have some blame. he should have sacked MON long before.

How could he possibly have done that and when?

He wanted MON sacked before he delivered our best season in years.

And now he thinks houllier is great.

I don't think anyones opinions on this site have ever been more wrong that Mr Smalljobs.

1. MON - left us in it days before the beginning of a season. Meant any manager that wanted to come in and change things was taking on a poisoned chalice at least until Jan. No question for me he is sky-high number one to blame.

2. Randy - Allowed MON too much power, which resulted in him throwing his toys out of the pram. Then delayed the appointment of a successor for too long, thus meaning anyone would have to wait until Jan to do ANYTHING. But again, this comes down to MON, who created the situation through his stubbornness.

3. Houllier - has fallen out with the dressing room apparently whilst managing to get 90% of the fans against him. But again, a poisoned chalice in my view.

4. Players - I can't fault their work rate (apart from the Man City game, which was more of a case of heads dropping IMO). They do try, and though they get paid far too much, can only do their best. We lack quality in the system we play and this comes down to Houllier for the choice of system, but MON and the board for the situation meaning we lack that quality.

You think MON could have stopped the milner sale?

I think your living in denial if you keep banging on about how bad the squad he left us with is.

I'm not in denial i just think its ridiculous that a man who hasn't made a single decision in any of our games this season can be equally to blame as the current manager.

He didnt have to accept Ireland in the deal knowing he didnt want to be here.

He did leave a poor old squad on inflated and quite ridiculous wages similar to what he did at Celtic and Leicester and if Lerner didnt put a stop on it Villa would be cri[ppled for years to come.

MON is a dickhead and a club ruiner. He **** his last 2 up and on verge of a 3rd

1. MON - left us in it days before the beginning of a season. Meant any manager that wanted to come in and change things was taking on a poisoned chalice at least until Jan. No question for me he is sky-high number one to blame.

Well then surely a sensible manager wouldn't try to change anything until january.

I'm sorry but for me enough time has passed since MON leaving so that we shouldn't be losing 6 of our last 7 and have the worst goal difference in the league.

Absolutley ridiculous that a man who has had no say in team selection, tactics, motivation, how to defend and all the other important aspects that go into being a football manager can take all the blame.

Â