Smoking Ban

tonyh29

Should the smoking ban be lifted in UK pubs and clubs ?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the smoking ban be lifted in UK pubs and clubs ?

• Yes
    • No

Chindie's points are correct. There's a change in habits which means that younger people don't go to pubs in the numbers required to replace the older ones dropping off.

Some pub owners put this down to the smoking ban, in the same way that some developers place the blame for their falling profitability on "planners" rather than the price of land. Idle bollocks, gossip instead of analysis.

There are more pubs than are required, because changing social habits mean that many fewer person/nights/pints will happen next year than last year, and this trend will continue for a while.

However, I do think it's a good idea for small cafes in Amshterdam to be able to let punters have an occasional schmoke. If that's not too contradictory.

Pubs were closing down way before the smoking ban. Yes the ban might have accelerated the process but it isn't the main problem. The Smoking ban was the best thing the government have done in the last 10 years. I shouldn't have to put up with smoke at work or when i want to go out for a beer.

20 years ago you were able to smoke on planes, you tell young people that and they are shocked, give it 10-20 years the young people will think the same about smoking in public indoors.

I think (actually, I hope) that smoking will be such a minority activity in 10-20 years that discussions like this will be moot. It's a filthy habit, and the more socially unacceptable it is, the better. I cant see the kids of today starting smoking in anywhere near the same numbers as kids in the 70s, 80s, 90s or even 00s did and when they are adults this wont even be an issue.

I think (actually, I hope) that smoking will be such a minority activity in 10-20 years that discussions like this will be moot. It's a filthy habit, and the more socially unacceptable it is, the better. I cant see the kids of today starting smoking in anywhere near the same numbers as kids in the 70s, 80s, 90s or even 00s did and when they are adults this wont even be an issue.

Maybe I just hang around a 'good group' but the good 20/25 group of friends I had at 6th form, all went out every weekend, the more 'sociable' group really, not one of them smoked. Obviously some would have 1/2 on a night out maybe but none of them smoke. I've always been lucky, no family member or friends have ever smoked. I can't stand it.

It was never going to work, where I live it has been possible to smoke in all the pubs anyway, almost since the very start of the ban. It was made very clear that if they stopped people smoking nobody went in there at all out of principle.

Let the pubs decide, smoking or no smoking. If the law was in any way intelligent why is it been reversed in Holland, everyone said it was pathetic and childish at the time and they have been proved 100% correct.

In my experience the non smokers who cry about this like children are the very people you would not want to go to the pub with anyway, you would have thought the pubs would be packed every night since the smoking ban, full of non smokers toasting their little success but it has not worked out that way has it, I wonder why that is.

There are a lot more dangerous and worthwhile things to ban in the world IMO.

Might be different in the Netherlands, but I always go to the pub now and I certainly **** wouldn't if it was filled with shitty cigarette air. May as well suck on an exhaust pipe on the way home. I wouldn't however, have a problem with a smoking room, provided you didnt have to go through it to get to the bar or in or out of the pub.

As a social smoker I have no problem having to go outdoors to smoke. That being said the weather here is almost always great, even in the middle of winter its not really that bad. I guess its also an age thing, as a 20yr old never experienced indoor smoking so i just accept that if you want to smoke you have to do it in an allocated outdoor area.

I've voted no. I can't think of a single reason why it would to my mind be a good move to take a backwards step and allow smoking in public places again, pubs or otherwise.

Its not just about those who frequent the pubs its about those who work in them as well, if people want to smoke they can go outside its not like anyone is stopping them from smoking.

Works well too. Pretty much all pubs/bars have outside smoking areas, and it means smokers kind of have their own little area where they can smoke and chat to other smokers, rather than inflict their damage on others.

Can't see many downsides (other than in the harsh winter when smokers may get a little bit cold). Maybe it'll encourage them to smoke less.

I think there's zero chance of a change to the current law at the moment

As a social smoker it doesn't bother me in the slightest having to go outside for a fag at the pub.. infact it's good for the social side of things. Where it does bother me is at Gigs/Clubs etc where i have gone specifically for the music. I don't want to have to go outside and smoke and miss what i had paid to go and see in the first place.

Where it does bother me is at Gigs/Clubs etc where i have gone specifically for the music. I don't want to have to go outside and smoke and miss what i had paid to go and see in the first place.

So what do you do? Miss some of the music, or smoke a bit less when you can in between sets?

I don't want to have to go outside and smoke and miss what i had paid to go and see in the first place.

Hmmm. I wonder if those other non smokers at the gig particularly want your smoke in their lungs and on their clothers though?

At least you have the choice, surely?

Miss a few songs for those extra few ciggy's, or not?

Where it does bother me is at Gigs/Clubs etc where i have gone specifically for the music. I don't want to have to go outside and smoke and miss what i had paid to go and see in the first place.

Well how do you manage when you go to the cinema?

If you can last the length of a film without a fag I'm sure you can manage a gig.

If you can last the length of a film without a fag I'm sure you can manage a gig.

Or a plane. Or a train ....

I would be very much against the smoking ban being lifted. It's so much better now when your clothes and hair don't stink after a night out. I was in Poland recently and had fogotten how bad it used to be.

Also, I tend to smoke myself if other people around me are doing it so it is great that that whole atmosphere has gone from a night out.

I haven't been in the cinema in 10 years, i can't stand the places.. i much prefer to watch a film in the comfort of my own home where i can drink and smoke if i like

I don't want to have to go outside and smoke and miss what i had paid to go and see in the first place.

Hmmm. I wonder if those other non smokers at the gig particularly want your smoke in their lungs and on their clothers though?

At least you have the choice, surely?

Miss a few songs for those extra few ciggy's, or not?

I will miss a few songs but still from my point of view i'd rather there was an exemption from the smoking ban in instances like that where i could enjoy the songs with a ciggie in my hand.

Â