Smoking Ban

tonyh29

Should the smoking ban be lifted in UK pubs and clubs ?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the smoking ban be lifted in UK pubs and clubs ?

• Yes
    • No

What stopped non-smokers from making a non-smoker bar before the ban?

Trade.

Quite simply, a blanket ban was the most sensible and most easily workable approach.

People aren't stopped from smoking Sir. Just inflicting it on other (non-willing passive smokers) pub or bar patrons.

They probably wouldn't have been allowed to as it would have been seen to be discrimative. It's a bit like saying I like a good punch up after a few pints so if you don't like it go somewhere else.

They probably wouldn't have been allowed to as it would have been seen to be discrimative. It's a bit like saying I like a good punch up after a few pints so if you don't like it go somewhere else.

They have dresscodes though?

Trade.

Quite simply, a blanket ban was the most sensible and most easily workable approach.

People aren't stopped from smoking Sir. Just inflicting it on other (non-willing passive smokers) pub or bar patrons.

Hmm doesn´t sound like it was ever a big problem then?

If hardly any non-smokers would pick health above money.

Trade.

Hmm doesn´t sound like it was ever a big problem then?

If hardly any non-smokers would pick health above money.

Not sure what you mean. I think you've got the wrong end of the stick fella.

Why would a bar or pub ban smokers unilaterally when the others weren't? Would shoot themselves in the foot, surely? yeah, some people would like it, and may go to that bar where they know there will be no smokers. But it could/would put lots of others off. If you had a group of say 5 people and 2 were smokers, then that bar would be out.

That is why the blanket ban is working. People can still go to a pub or bar and smoke, just not inside. Works well, IMO.

It also gets around the problem of bar staff who don't smoke having to work in a polluted, smokey environment. Not any longer ...

AFAIK, a dresscode never gave anybody 2nd hand lung or throat cancer.

EDIT: what you are therefore striving for is a form of segregation of society, into smokers and non smokers, who each have their own pubs and bars they can go in.

It's an option, but not one a decent society should surely seek. Plus, you would have to discriminate about who you could employ in a smokers bar, to be only smoking or smking friendly staff. And also with any entertainment, sanme thing.

I think we're much better where we are now, TBH>

Plus everyone knows where they stand.

Outside, if you want to have a fag.

:clap:

although in the very nice bars I frequent, outdoor seatage whilst smoking is also an option. :winkold:

Patio heaters and umbrellas/canopies FTW!

The ban was brought in because staff members should not have to put down that they don't mind inhaling second hand smoke for their entire 8 hour shift in order to get a job.

It was not brought in because it made non smokers happy (though that is a bonus!), it was not brought in because there were not enough non smoking pubs about.

It was brought in because no staff member should have to put up with it every single day of their job (no matter what job you do).

There is no chance of it being repealed for that reason also.

AFAIK, a dresscode never gave anybody 2nd hand lung or throat cancer.

Think you deliberately misunderstood where I was going with the dresscode comparison, but thanks for the murderer comment.

Could you back it up, with anything but junkscience? They havn´t really seen any decreases in diseases suspected to be caused by 2nd-hand smoke.

Ah yeah silly me. That is because all the smokers are now smoking more at home, slaughtering their neighbours.

Fantastic that I can go out for a drink without coming home with my clothes reeking of smoke. By all means if people want to smoke, then go outside and inhale to your hearts content. Those of us who are not addicted to Nicotine couldn't be happier.

I hate the pub outdoor smoking areas. You always have to push past a bunch of coughing addicts, through clouds of stinking smoke, and piles of fag ends to get in and out of a pub nowadays. Even worse are what used to be nice beer gardens in country pubs - now off-limits to non-smokers as they are monopolised by the self-poisoners.

I'd bring in a "no smoking within 200 metres of a building" rule.

California has a rule about not being allowed to smoke in a public place anywhere, indoors or outdoors, and Sydney is considering a similar move.

I don't think it would catch on in Europe quite so easily though...

California has a rule about not being allowed to smoke in a public place anywhere, indoors or outdoors, and Sydney is considering a similar move.

I don't think it would catch on in Europe quite so easily though...

Well I didn't think the ban would catch on at all in the first place. I was sure there would be mass disobedience, but that doesn't seem to have happened.

I'm a smoker and do not mind having to go outdoors to have a cig. Since the ban I have found that I cannot stand in a room where people smoke anymore as it makes me feel physically sick (my local has the odd lock-in and the ashtrays come out).

Strange really as before the ban I could spend a night in the pub and smoke away for hours and not think of it. I actully feel a bit queasy now thinking aboout indoor cigarette smoke.

Haha, reminds me of an incident about 20 years ago...some cocky little **** was smoking in McDonalds in Brum, upstairs where it was no smoking.

I had my sprogs with me and was not amused .

I "encouraged" him to leave and he did :-)

Â