Smoking Ban

tonyh29

Should the smoking ban be lifted in UK pubs and clubs ?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the smoking ban be lifted in UK pubs and clubs ?

• Yes
    • No

I miss it in pubs, I felt it was part of the atmosphere (and I'm a non-smoker).

Now you just get the smell of beer, farts and old Manxies who need a wash.

That's what my car smelt like Saturday morning!

But as for the ban, it has to stay. Reeking of 2nd hand cigarette smoke is deeply unpleasant.

I will miss a few songs but still from my point of view i'd rather there was an exemption from the smoking ban in instances like that where i could enjoy the songs with a ciggie in my hand.

I'm sure you would. I don't though see why the other people at the gig, the people working there and even some of those performing should have to be subjected to the smoke.

That is why in my view the ban shouldn't and won't be reviewed.

That's fair enough and i do agree with you.. but purely from a selfish point of view, i'd be happy to see it lifted for gigs and the like as it's the only time i dislike having to go outside to smoke.

As a former barman I have voted no. It's the best thing that ever happened. It's not only the smell on the clothes but even at the end of the night not having to clean out filthy ashtrays is a big plus. I can live with going outside with a sweeping brush instead. I spent many a busy night behind the bar with tears streaming down my face because there was so much smoke in the air. Pubs are much cleaner as a result of the ban too.

Surely if you are a social smoker, that means you aren't actually a proper smoker, you choose when you smoke or not?

Am I getting this wrong? surely if you can go days or long hours without a smoke, you can do the same when your out?

For me it is just because I am out hving a beer, don't ask me why but it just does.

As you say, I can go for days without wanting a cigerette, I can go to the cinema etc etc but if I have a few beers I need a Cigerette

Pubs are going bust, imo, because they've been squeezed by cheap home boozing and thus the pub has increasingly become more of 'an event' type deal - somewhere you go out to specifically for a good time, rather that habitual thing they used to be. Thus the pubs that don't have either a) a considerable regular local crowd, or B) a selling point etc, go down the swanny because the average person can get twice as sloshed at home for less than half the cost, and if someone does want to take on the cost of going out they go to a more upmarket place as part of a larger night out or they go to the pub specifically do infrequently that the trade dies off.

The ban may have stopped a few people going to the pub, but I'd bet my last penny on cheap booze from supermarkets and the like being far greater to their demise.

TESCO springs to mind!

But smoking areas have a great buzz with lots of people talking which i prefer even though i dont smoke personally.

If it was brought in the worst is smoking on dancefloor. Was in Madrid last year and got burnt 3 times in one night

Although I'm not a smoker (I run 60+ miles a week for christs sake) and I don't really like my clothes smelling like an ashtray after a night out, I think they should relax the ban in bars/clubs where meals are'nt sold, and where children are'nt likely to be, for instance in certain pubs after a certain time of night.

Although I'm not a smoker (I run 60+ miles a week for christs sake) and I don't really like my clothes smelling like an ashtray after a night out, I think they should relax the ban in bars/clubs where meals are'nt sold, and where children are'nt likely to be, for instance in certain pubs after a certain time of night.

Unworkable and odd suggestion there Sir.

Doesn't get round the "inflicting your poisonous smoke" argument/problem onto unwilling non-smokers, and non-smoking staff.

The deal works as it is. I can see zero reason to change it.

still can't see what's wrong with smoking areas in pubs with an extractor fan, no smoking at the bar etc.

well, that would be workable for pubs that have "rooms" as such, where it's enclosed.

wouldn't really work in most open-plan bars/pubs.

an outright ban is also much easier to enforce/police.

Plus everyone knows where they stand.

I think the current policy works really well.

Stick with the current rule. I hate the smell and don't want it all over my clothes. Smoking in public places is anti social as we all know it is unhealthy. If you want to cause damge to your body do it in private. IMO people with children shouldn't be allowed to smoke in their houses.

i have to say i wanst a fan of labour but one of the good things they did do was introduce this ban. its brilliant i can now go out without stinking and not get ill from all that smok. also enoyrage speople not to somke

keep the bann

i have to say i wanst a fan of labour but one of the good things they did do was introduce this ban. its brilliant i can now go out without stinking and not get ill from all that smok. also enoyrage speople not to somke

keep the bann

Demglish in action ...

stock-photo-boxing-glove-typing-23838010.jpg

Â