SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

You have to hope that AM comments last night were part of the negotiations over N'zogbia.

i.e. saying to Whelan we don't have to buy your man because we only want one and we are looking at others.

I could live without us making loads of signings but I think we need 2 wingers at minimum. Marc cannot be relied on for whole season.

And I really hope we get a defensive midfielder as well because for my money Petrov is the only one capable of playing that role right now. And you can't rely on him for a whole game let alone a whole season.

Just asked Dean Scoggins (Journo & Villa fan IIRC from the Sun)... for an update on Zog to Villa... as he tweeted that despite what McLeish said we'll get a few more in AFTER N'Zogbia this morning.

He's just tweeted me back... "talks happening today. I wouldn't think it'd be long"

Let's hope so!

we wouldn't believe the sun newspaper so why should we believe someone who works for the sun?

Not to say it's not true but don't really see it as very reliable.

He's OK is Dean Scoggins and has a good sense of humour. Chats to all the Villa fans & he's normally fairly reliable.

A number of sports journos in the area engage with the fans and tell us how they see things... Don't think we can rubbish them all the time.

Mat Kendrick has just said he's trying to get an update for us all.

If you don't use twitter then you won't get it...like I didn't at first.

This pretty much crystallises my concerns about our midfield; we simply don't have the players to make 4-4-2 work. I'm not exactly happy about the 'one more signing' revelations but can see some credence in allowing the likes of Ireland, Makoun and Delph to stake a permanent claim on the team. However, each of them only ever looks comfortable when part of a central three, with Petrov (who also looks lightweight in a pairing) sitting deeper with two others further advanced either side. I haven't got a huge problem with either of the following;

Makoun - Petrov - Delph

Ireland - Petrov - Delph

Makoun - Petrov - Ireland

Obviously, you then have two wide men playing either narrower or interchanging sides behind Darren Bent. It's the formation we ended the season playing and its the way most of Europe's successful teams are setting up. What worries me are the claims that Agbonlahor will be playing as a second out and out striker alongside Bent, which means you have to sacrifice one of the three midfielders, and what happens when/if one of Albrighton and whoever ultimately is signed as our other winger gets injured or suspended?

Clearly, much of this is based on supposition and rumour and we have to wait and see how we line up against Fulham before we are going to know definitively what McLeish's thinking is, but any attempt to either prepare for the new season with only one more addition or send the team out to play a traditional, flat 4-4-2 seems destined to cause problems.

And it is increasingly apparent that we absolutely need to tie up N'Zogbia as there are no other options of that standard that could quickly fit in that I can see, whichever formation is used.

Couldn't agree more. We would be hopeless in a 4-4-2. A combination of Stan and Delph, Stan and Makoun or Delph and Makoun (I assume Bannan as a bench player) would be too deep and leave a massive gap between Gabby and Bent as both of those two tend to push on to the last CB. Stick Ireland in a 2 and it would be too lightweight, as witnessed last season. We have to play a three - as most sides do now - with an option to go 4-4-2 if we are chasing a game.

Couldn't agree more. We would be hopeless in a 4-4-2.

Agree with this. Personally think a centre 3 of Makoun Petrov and Delph with ireland sitting further forward (in the hole) and petrov acting as a defensive holding player is the way forward. Puts a lot of pressure on Ireland to perform whilst making sure he gives Bent the support he needs upfront. Time will tell if he can fill the gap left by young.

Edit: just reasised we'd have to play with 12 player to do that. Just ignore me. :oops:

Just asked Dean Scoggins (Journo & Villa fan IIRC from the Sun)... for an update on Zog to Villa... as he tweeted that despite what McLeish said we'll get a few more in AFTER N'Zogbia this morning.

He's just tweeted me back... "talks happening today. I wouldn't think it'd be long"

Let's hope so!

we wouldn't believe the sun newspaper so why should we believe someone who works for the sun?

On a general note and not specific to this journo, a lot of the time a paper has an overall agenda i.e. 'print any old bullshit to sell the paper'. But individual journalists don't. It doesn't always benefit a journo to say something via twitter if he doesn't have to and it's probably more truthful than what he is told to put in the paper. The only tweets that might have an agenda are the all-encompassing "read today's [newspaper] to find out more" ones relating to a story. I'd tend to believe a one-on-one tweet from any journo more than I would an article printed in a paper.

On a general note and not specific to this journo, a lot of the time a paper has an overall agenda i.e. 'print any old bullshit to sell the paper'. But individual journalists don't. It doesn't always benefit a journo to say something via twitter if he doesn't have to and it's probably more truthful than what he is told to put in the paper. The only tweets that might have an agenda are the all-encompassing "read today's [newspaper] to find out more" ones relating to a story. I'd tend to believe a one-on-one tweet from any journo more than I would an article printed in a paper.

Spot on BOF!

Also it's a two way things on twitter.. The journo's as individuals engage with the fans of football clubs because they get an awful lot of insight and info themseleves into what's going on at clubs and how the fans view matters. If they just lied about any ITK they have constantly then fans would soon not interact with them.

Not to mention that journo's like Mat Kendrick, who isn't always complimentary about his club nor is he always right in his opinions,

... is actually a Villa fan.

JulieB wrote:

I beliebe him He Works for Murdoch. Have you Not Seen the News lately.

Let's hope so!

Right then that's it... any sports journo who works or has worked for Rupert Murdoch must be tweeting lies then automatically

Thanks for the info!

Depends on whos phone they took it off :lol:

Right then that's it... any sports journo who works or has worked for Rupert Murdoch must be tweeting lies then automatically

Thanks for the info!

I think the point is Julie,if it was an article with no quotes it would be hailed as bollocks but someone posts a tit bit on twitter everyone starts ejaculating!

Half the time it turns out to be BS

Zog move has fallen through by the look of things, apparently adding an extra million to our offer is too much. Pathetic.

Where you heard that it looks like its fallen through? Every indication seems like its still very much on the cards, bar newspaper stories about just needing to cough up an extra million yesterday morning, it sounds like they are very much still negotiating.

Thanks for the info!

I think the point is Julie,if it was an article with no quotes it would be hailed as bollocks but someone posts a tit bit on twitter everyone starts ejaculating!

Half the time it turns out to be BS

BS on Twitter... well I never!

I asked both Mr Scoggins and Mr Kendrick for updates on N'Zogbia this morning. I've just posted one response.

Like BOF said. Individual journo's responding to fans have no reason to lie and every reason to give an honest assessment.

Dean Scoggins reckons N'Zogbia will be signing.... and also whatever has been said we'll see a few additional faces at the club before the end of the transfer window.

A Wigan Fan reckon's rumours Zog is going to sign another contract with them.

Another journo reckons Zog is nailed on for Villa by this time next week or he'll lock himself in a room for 3 days playing Duran Duran

We await to see what transpires.....

think this deal could take a while if villa are only after one more. villa arent in any rush to buy as the season is 3 weeks away and wigan arent in a rush because they want to keep him or sell for the right amount