Can you eat with chopsticks?

YLN

Can you eat with Chopsticks?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Can you eat with Chopsticks?

• Yes
    • No

Yeah I'm pretty good with them.

Another thing you may want to learn if you want to eat like a chinese, is to eat with your mouth open so everyone can see your food and making as much noise as possible.

I had dinner once at a Chinese mates house with his family, **** me, I thought they were taking the piss when they started to tuck in, the noise was unreal, I had to cough into my hand to disguise a good guffaw!

Yes. I worked with a guy from hong kong years ago who showed me how to hold them properly and it made it a whole lot easier. The key is, only one stick moves, the other is rock steady all the time

Yep. However when it comes to hot and sour soup, I either ask for a spoon or just drink it like coffee. I'm a huge fan of hot and sour soup :P

I've made a mental note to have Chinese Saturday night now, thanks to this thread. It's been a few months.....

I eat with chopsticks until I get cramp in my hand then move onto that weird spoon thing they provide you.

the only chinese I had in brum was Chung Ying before Villa v Everton. Was top notch for me as I am particular with my shredded chilli beef.

they did well, although quite pricey as they charge for everything. No complimentary prawn crackers there :(

Soup is also a problem

Not when combined with a Japanese soup spoon it isn't.

miso_soup.jpg

Mmmm, miso. 8)

I love chopsticks, they don't pose a problem for me and if I'm eating noodles at home I feel compelled to use 'em.

usingchopsticks.gif

Yes and chopsticks are great, you can't eat as much with each mouthful as you do if you shovel it in with western cutlery, which is the point, it means you get the taste of the component items and not the whole taste at once experience (yuck).

For me its up there with the people who frown at me in a Japanese restaurant for slurping my soup, its meant to be eaten that way, it improves the flavour)

eating chinese isn't about efficiency and counting the beans for most of us, switch off from work mode Mart :mrgreen:

It shouldn't be about balancing acts and feats of dexterity either! I mean, I could drink a pint of beer using a thimble as well if I wanted, but I prefer the quickest and easiest means of tipping it down my neck!

Yes i can use them.

Bit off topic but do you use a knife and fork to eat pizza or use your hands?

Depends on the pizza. I prefer hands, but when you get one of those pizzas that's so heavily loaded with toppings that the base flops downwards cutlery equals neccessity.

My missus has the single weirdest way of eating pizzas though, she eats it crust first with a knife and fork, then works her way around the edge leaving the centre to the end. Bizarre.

Used to struggle with them and hold them pen-style, which embarrassed me a little because I'm Chinese. But after a little practice I got pretty good at it. I don't even have problems grabbing tofu with a pair of chopsticks these days, child's play.

Learnt on my travels this summer. Spent 2 days in Ulaanbaatar where chopsticks were occassionally given out, then 4 days in Beijing where they were the norm. Grasped it by the time we left Beijing and it did me for the rest of China and South east asia :)

Â