Can you eat with chopsticks?

YLN

Can you eat with Chopsticks?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Can you eat with Chopsticks?

• Yes
    • No

I was in a Chinese restaurant on my last visit to Birmingham and we really seemed to be out of place in that we were the only people eating with knives and forks, although the place was full of non-asians. I've been eating with cutlery all my life and see no need to learn how to operate a new set of utensils. Do you see merit in this skill? Is this why I can't get a girl?

It's not that hard if someone shows you, and you get to practice reasonably frequently, so yes, I often do - it's part of the "ritual". Your eating chinese food, in a chinese restaurant, served by chinese people, cooked by chinese people, with plinky plonk chinese music in the background - demanding a knife and fork somehow just diminishes the "special" nature of the meal.

I love Chinese food and pride myself on being able to shovel Chinese into my mouth with chopsticks

I even have my own posh ones at home that i use when i get a take away

Don't know about the whole culture / ignorance thing that is being suggested in the thread .. I've never been to a Chinese where they won't give you a fork if you ask for one so it's not like the are trying to convert you to Taoism , to me it's it's just part of the meal experience as Mike has already said above ..

Some people feel it's incredibly ignorant not to use chopsticks in a Chinese restaurant.

I think it's incredibly ignorant for the Chinese not to accept the superior knife and fork into their culture.

The future istockphoto_469885-spork.jpg

:clap::crylaugh:

Is this why I can't get a girl?

I somehow doubt that not using chopsticks is the issue here. :winkold:

And yes I can use them and strangely enough have been married for years so perhaps there's something in your theory after all. :)

Â