How Much Will the January Net Spend Be?

bickster

What will be Villa's net spend in the January Window?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. What will be Villa's net spend in the January Window?

• negative i.e. we recoup more in fees than we spend
    • £0 - £4.9mil
    • £5mil - £9.9mil
    • £10mil - £14.9mil
    • £15mil - £19.9mil
    • £20mil plus

Everyone has differing opinions on this seemingly so I thought it could have its own topic with a Poll.

The question is obviously what you think it will be, you might also want to add what you think it should be.

Ive gone £10-£15m. though hou has said its not a priority. if carew goes he will bring in a striker. they dont come cheap.

I've put 20 million, but if he gets that in January and spends it I can't see him getting half of that in the summer.

I'm not sure how much shirt sales bring into the club, but seeing as most people aren't going to buy them this season that is going to have a knock-on effect to the clubs revenue and then the clubs spending in the summer.

Hopefully its the fourth choice, and on the two quality players thats needed, a striker and DM.

Its going to be bloody difficult though, since no club wants to get rid of their best players mid season. Luckily, i think the Gaffer knows the european market, and is proberly making inroads as we speak.

For me I think it'll be in the £5mil - £9.9mil range but we'll spend more than that as there will be significant funds coming in from outgoing transfers like Cuellar & Sidwell for example. Carew will probably go on a £500,000 type deal

So the total spend may be as high as £20mil but the net spend will be about the £7mil - £10mil level.

I think we may see a significant wage reduction though, with higher earners out and lower earners in

I went for between 0 and 4.9M but you see it is not a straightforward question to answer as it excludes fees already received for Gardner, Shorey and Milner, unless of course there is an acceptance that these are gone?

An unofficial transfer speculation thread?

Yippee :D

I've voted for the 10-15m option.

I think we'll offload Davies, Carew and possibly Sidwell (We could keep him if our central midfield options are still injured, but if the planned transfer is a midfielder then Sidders could be on his way out).

I'd love to see us buy a decent striker and a defensive midfielder (the optimist in me wants Lassana Diarra :lol: )

I'm not dismissing the possibilty of a January window with no incoming players, there's no point in bringing in a striker just for the sake of it.

If Houllier has to wait 'til next Summer to get the right striker then I don't mind waiting.

Carew may well be gone, as others have said.

Wouldnt see any harm in offloading Davies if an offer came through.

Getting rid of Sidwell doesnt seem like a sensible option halfway through the season, I fully expect him to start against Man Utd.

January aint ideal so probably not much, 5-9.9 for me.

Carew, Sidwell, Beye out perhaps for around £3-4million.

Then about £10-11mil spent on a striker and a left back possibly. Might see a midfielder drafted in as well, possibly on loan.

Tough one to call. I would assume that the majority of the Houllier-rebuild would take place in the summer as we wouldn't have to pay a premium for players, but if come January we are beset with injuries and/or sat at the wrong end of the table perhaps bringing in at one or two players (e.g. that oft-coveted clinical finisher) to strengthen will be a priority.

There is also the matter of a certain outbound Norwegian striker; should a situtation arise where an expedited departure is beneficial to both player and club we will need to look at cover.

Maybe with our new scout we'll even see someone completely out of leftfield come into the club. Maybe we'll look to tide over the rest of the season with loans/free agents on short-term contracts. Basically, I can't say either way.

I can tell you how much I hope we spend/who I hope we spend it on before next season, but that's not the question. Ultimately, January's a mystery to me.

I went for between 0 and 4.9M but you see it is not a straightforward question to answer as it excludes fees already received for Gardner, Shorey and Milner, unless of course there is an acceptance that these are gone?

My point from the other thread still stands, I don't get the idea that cashflows in to Villa are ringfenced, that, if transfer fees received are not then spent that they are either 'sat in the bank' or 'gone'. :?

If it's just an exercise in analysing the ins and outs for a 'net spend' amount then, if we are talking, 'net spend in January' then it's the ins and outs in January that we are talking about.

I happen to think that the net spend in Jan will also be at that lower end but that it will be determined by deals available (and limited by the club's outlook about the short term and longer term future) rather than constrained by some notional amount of money available to spend.

Â