The Pope's visit to Britain

paddy

Is the Pope's visit to Britain a good thing?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Pope's visit to Britain a good thing?

• Yes and I AM a Catholic
    • Yes and I'm NOT a Catholic
    • No and I AM a Catholic
    • No and I am NOT a Caholic

9/11 story

A touching story, as are many from that day.

To bring it back to the topic of religion though, surely a story like that demonstrates the needlessness of religion? Here we have men, normally divided along religious grounds, helping each other in a time of great need. In my opinion it's stories like this that show that humans are intrinsically good, that we don't need religion to behave and that religion often forms barriers between communities. It's a shame it takes something of the scale of 9/11 to break these barriers.

Ah but your beliefs are irrelevant here Chris. This is about whether our tax money should be shelled out on protecting someone who is here to turn a profit, he's come for a few gigs, he's charging, there's a multimillion quid profit at stake on the tour and he's not paying for his security (and doubtless the gigs won't be subject to VAT either). Add to that his direct implicit actions in covering up (aiding and abetting) serious sexual crimes against children both here and in other countries all over the world then he shouldn't be even allowed in the country let alone have millions of pounds worth of security given to him. And that really has nothing to do with Catholicism per se, its to do with both the specific person and the idea that someone is coming here to turn a huge profit but isnt contributing back to the exchequer and worse than that, the public purse is actually shelling out to assist. It's bonkers

This is about whether our tax money should be shelled out on protecting someone who is here to turn a profit.

Is it?

I can't see those kind of options in the poll, so haven't voted.

Even though it's small beans in the bigger picture, I see no reason why the British taxpayer should be paying for the guy's protection.

I'm not everse to him coming over here, just not at our expense.

the Indie

take your pick from 4 or 5 articles here....

I think that to challenge a 'state' visit that is charging an entrance fee and offering merchandise (vatican bunting at £12 for 10 metres anyone?) is probably the one that will hit home with a good number of people at the moment in the current austere times. I get the feeling that the sex abuse story is suffering from 'fatigue' along the lines of many 'bear shits in woods' stories.

If anyone ever had any doubts that religion is a money-making racket, then here's your proof.

The fact that we are paying to accomodate this snake-oil salesman, child-abuse enabler and bare-faced liar so he can come here to sell his t-shirts, trinkets and hats is incredible.

One of the Pope's senior advisers has pulled out of the papal visit to Britain, after reportedly saying the UK is a "Third World country" marked by "a new and aggressive atheism".

Cardinal Walter Kasper, 77, made the remarks in a German magazine interview.

The Vatican said the cardinal had not intended "any kind of slight", and was referring to the UK's multicultural society.

It added that he had simply pulled out of the Pope's visit due to illness.

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

They are saying it is ill health, but I wonder if that is the fact. I wonder if he has been dropped because he is an embarrassment”

End Quote Clifford Langley The Tablet

The German-born cardinal was quoted as saying to the country's Focus magazine that "when you land at Heathrow you think at times you have landed in a Third World country".

He also was reported to have criticised British Airways, saying that when you wear a cross on the airline "you are discriminated against".

Vatican sources said Cardinal Kasper - who stepped down in July as the head of the department that deals with other Christian denominations - was suffering from gout and had been advised by his doctors not to travel to the UK.

The Pope is spending four days in Scotland and England, starting on Thursday.

'Talking nonsense'

The BBC's correspondent in Rome, David Willey, said the cardinal's reported comments were "a slightly clumsy thing to have done on the eve of the visit".

However, he added that he did not think it would have much effect on the Pope's trip to the UK.

Clifford Langley, from Catholic newspaper The Tablet, said the cardinal was "obviously talking nonsense".

"I don't think he believes Britain is in the grip of secular atheism, and he shouldn't have said so," said Mr Langley.

"They are saying it is ill health [that has forced the cardinal to drop out of the visit], but I wonder if that is the fact. I wonder if he has been dropped because he is an embarrassment."

British Airways said the cardinal had been "seriously misinformed" in his claims about the airline.

"It is completely untrue that we discriminate against Christians or members of any faith," it said in a statement.

Link

I couldn't help but laugh.

marked by "a new and aggressive atheism".

He's been reading VT! :winkold:

For the record I agree with Jon...I have no issue with him coming at all, just not at our expense.

That's not an option in the poll, so I haven't voted either.

The Vatican aren't short of a bob or two even after all the compensation being paid out and they should pay his travel expenses.

If the Vatican won't pay then surely the UK Catholic Church should cough up.

Then of course they could always lean on their Sicilian chums!!

I think Doug Stanhope summed all of this up when he talked about other comics talking about Pope Benedict and how scary it was that he used to be a Nazi (well, Hitler youth member).

Stanhope says that when you compare the Nazis (who only lasted about a dozen years) with the Catholic Church - who over the last 1,500 years have a far more prestigious track record of murder, oppression, pogroms, tyranny, exploitation, denial of atrocities etc...not to mention the institutionalised kid ****, then it would be far scarier to find out your local Nazi used to be a Pope !!

We, the undersigned, share the view that Pope Ratzinger should not be given the honour of a state visit to this country. We believe that the pope, as a citizen of Europe and the leader of a religion with many adherents in the UK, is of course free to enter and tour our country. However, as well as a religious leader, the pope is a head of state, and the state and organisation of which he is head has been responsible for:

Opposing the distribution of condoms and so increasing large families in poor countries and the spread of Aids.

Promoting segregated education.

Denying abortion to even the most vulnerable women.

Opposing equal rights for lesbians, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

Failing to address the many cases of abuse of children within its own organisation.

The state of which the pope is head has also resisted signing many major human rights treaties and has formed its own treaties ("concordats") with many states which negatively affect the human rights of citizens of those states. In any case, we reject the masquerading of the Holy See as a state and the pope as a head of state as merely a convenient fiction to amplify the international influence of the Vatican.

Stephen Fry, Professor Richard Dawkins, Professor Susan Blackmore, Terry Pratchett, Philip Pullman, Ed Byrne, Baroness Blackstone, Ken Follett, Professor AC Grayling, Stewart Lee, Baroness Massey, Claire Rayner, Adele Anderson, John Austin MP, Lord Avebury, Sian Berry, Professor Simon Blackburn, Sir David Blatherwick, Sir Tom Blundell, Dr Helena Cronin, Dylan Evans, Hermione Eyre, Lord Foulkes, Professor Chris French, Natalie Haynes, Johann Hari, Jon Holmes, Lord Hughes, Robin Ince, Dr Michael Irwin, Professor Steve Jones, Sir Harold Kroto, Professor John Lee, Zoe Margolis, Jonathan Meades, Sir Jonathan Miller, Diane Munday, Maryam Namazie, David Nobbs, Professor Richard Norman, Lord O'Neill, Simon Price, Paul Rose, Martin Rowson, Michael Rubenstein, Joan Smith, Dr Harry Stopes-Roe, Professor Raymond Tallis, Lord Taverne, Peter Tatchell, Baroness Turner, Professor Lord Wedderburn of Charlton QC FBA, Ann Marie Waters, Professor Wolpert, Jane Wynne Willson

Link

One of the Pope's senior advisers has pulled out of the papal visit to Britain, after reportedly saying the UK is a "Third World country" marked by "a new and aggressive atheism".

Cardinal Walter Kasper, 77, made the remarks in a German magazine interview.

The Vatican said the cardinal had not intended "any kind of slight", and was referring to the UK's multicultural society.

It added that he had simply pulled out of the Pope's visit due to illness.

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

They are saying it is ill health, but I wonder if that is the fact. I wonder if he has been dropped because he is an embarrassment”

End Quote Clifford Langley The Tablet

The German-born cardinal was quoted as saying to the country's Focus magazine that "when you land at Heathrow you think at times you have landed in a Third World country".

He also was reported to have criticised British Airways, saying that when you wear a cross on the airline "you are discriminated against".

Vatican sources said Cardinal Kasper - who stepped down in July as the head of the department that deals with other Christian denominations - was suffering from gout and had been advised by his doctors not to travel to the UK.

The Pope is spending four days in Scotland and England, starting on Thursday.

'Talking nonsense'

The BBC's correspondent in Rome, David Willey, said the cardinal's reported comments were "a slightly clumsy thing to have done on the eve of the visit".

However, he added that he did not think it would have much effect on the Pope's trip to the UK.

Clifford Langley, from Catholic newspaper The Tablet, said the cardinal was "obviously talking nonsense".

"I don't think he believes Britain is in the grip of secular atheism, and he shouldn't have said so," said Mr Langley.

"They are saying it is ill health [that has forced the cardinal to drop out of the visit], but I wonder if that is the fact. I wonder if he has been dropped because he is an embarrassment."

British Airways said the cardinal had been "seriously misinformed" in his claims about the airline.

"It is completely untrue that we discriminate against Christians or members of any faith," it said in a statement.

Link

I couldn't help but laugh.

He calls you the "Eskimos of the Western World" LMAO

Â