The Pope's visit to Britain

paddy

Is the Pope's visit to Britain a good thing?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Pope's visit to Britain a good thing?

• Yes and I AM a Catholic
    • Yes and I'm NOT a Catholic
    • No and I AM a Catholic
    • No and I am NOT a Caholic

Hate the Catholic church , not Catholics.

Catholics , Protestants , Pentecostals , Lutherans and whatever other sect/creed out there are all the same. The difference is the fact that Catholicism and the Pope are the most visible symbol of Christianity and therefore are easy targets.

You cannot make a distinction between the crazies , they are all doing the exact same thing , trying to convince the world that their sect/creed/whatever is the real deal and the others are all cults/fake religions etc etc.

As far as I am concerned , the worst of the lot are the Evangelicals(?) , the ones that have an obligation to try and indoctrinate any 'non - christian heathen' they come across, these lot are the ones I hate most.

I have personally had a woman at work who tried to explain to me why Hindus are Pagans and Heathens and why I should consider converting. :lol:

You cannot make a distinction between the crazies , they are all doing the exact same thing , trying to convince the world that their sect/creed/whatever is the real deal and the others are all cults/fake religions etc etc.

As far as I am concerned , the worst of the lot are the Evangelicals(?) , the ones that have an obligation to try and indoctrinate any 'non - christian heathen' they come across, these lot are the ones I hate most.

I have personally had a woman at work who tried to explain to me why Hindus are Pagans and Heathens and why I should consider converting.

Are Hindus crazies? :P

I have personally had a woman at work who tried to explain to me why Hindus are Pagans and Heathens and why I should consider converting.

Absolutely not.

ganeshagodofsuccess.jpg

All hail!

I watched that programme about the Vatican on telly last night. Apparently a lot of documentation to do with Pope Pious's involvement with the Nazis is locked away in a restricted area. Well, who'd have imagined that, blow me down etc.

Weed smoking , universal loving , rock playing , mantra chanting , tantric **** hindus?

8)

Aye , we're crazy :lol:

Disclaimer: Not a practicing hindu(Except the fact that I have taken great Lord Shiva's love for the wonderful plant to heart :P

Absolutely not.

ganeshagodofsuccess.jpg

All hail!

Jai Ganesha!!! :winkold:

• 2 weeks later...

Please explain why it is a poor choice of words?

Your initial comment was that a new, dynamic pope was needed to get the young people back into the church. The current pope is a known protector of priests who rape, or have raped, the 'young people' in the church.

Can you not see why making reference to getting young people in to a catholic church was a poor choice of words?

Yes mate i see now :oops:

Still think that a younger, more progressive pope would make the Catholic Religion more acceptable to modern society. Probably should have said that the first time :lol:

Please explain why it is a poor choice of words?

Your initial comment was that a new, dynamic pope was needed to get the young people back into the church. The current pope is a known protector of priests who rape, or have raped, the 'young people' in the church.

Can you not see why making reference to getting young people in to a catholic church was a poor choice of words?

Yes mate i see now :oops:

Still think that a younger, more progressive pope would make the Catholic Religion more acceptable to modern society. Probably should have said that the first time :lol:

This is the problem with religion, it makes claims of divinity while at all times being backwards and primitive. The catholic church could not keep up their pretense of being God's representatives on Earth if they were to start changing their 'divine' doctrines, because it would then become obvious that they were never divine in the first place.

In a way it's a good thing. The longer these religions stick to primitive and wicked beliefs, the quicker people will realise how backwards they are and leave these insane superstitions behind.

In a way it's a good thing. The longer these religions stick to primitive and wicked beliefs, the quicker people will realise how backwards they are and leave these insane superstitions behind.

Sure is happening very quickly (sarcasm)

Seriously though, it's stupid how so many people can still believe in the Abrahamic religions, let alone Catholicism which is even more hypocritical, outdated, and abusive than the other denominations.

P.S. Good to see that my favourite Pope thread has returned :D

To be fair legov, I don't think I know anyone in my age group that attends church/mosque/temple regularly. I think there'll be a marked decline in church attendance in the next couple of decades.

You're British.

Over here in the East church-going is the latest fad, absurd as that sounds. Then there's the golden land called America.

And it still amazes/amuses me. All my life (and I'm 56) in the UK, church-going has been seen as terminally uncool for young people, the preserve of oldies and the odd geek. The thought of it being a youth fad is actually hilarious.

And slightly disturbing to an atheist like me.

As with everything where you’ve only a got a few words to get your point across the statement that Christianity ain’t cool for UK kids is a bit too sweeping to be an absolute truth.

There are plenty of things going on in that particular scene that you may not be aware of. Greenbelt is a 3 day festival that attracts about 20,000 people every year and has been going for about 20+ years. There are Methodist Yoof gatherings every year that fill out the Albert Hall once in the summer and once in the winter (capacity a few thousand?). It may not be seen as trendy and cool by all, but clearly there is an appetite for it amongst some. Let he who knows how to define cool cast the first stone. If it doesn’t hurt anyone, where’s the harm? Equally, not everyone present is necessarily a Christian. Perhaps some went along simply to see Scrubious Pip or Royksopp or Billy Bragg (hurray one I’ve heard of). But equally, not everyone that goes along to a Prodigy gig actually wants to be a twisted fire starter.

I know that I went to one of these a long long time ago, I can’t remember the name of it – it was around about the time of the Red Wedge bandwagon and had a lot of the same bands. My reason for going was certainly a bit more earthly than heavenly and centred around sleeping bags that could be zipped together. But I remember being utterly surprised that there were so many people there, mostly wearing yellow for some reason I’ve since forgotten if I ever knew.

Don’t crucify me too much on my stats above mind, I’m no expert, just trying to add a little balance.

As with everything where you’ve only a got a few words to get your point across the statement that Christianity ain’t cool for UK kids is a bit too sweeping to be an absolute truth.

There are plenty of things going on in that particular scene that you may not be aware of. Greenbelt is a 3 day festival that attracts about 20,000 people every year and has been going for about 20+ years. There are Methodist Yoof gatherings every year that fill out the Albert Hall once in the summer and once in the winter (capacity a few thousand?). It may not be seen as trendy and cool by all, but clearly there is an appetite for it amongst some. Let he who knows how to define cool cast the first stone. If it doesn’t hurt anyone, where’s the harm? Equally, not everyone present is necessarily a Christian. Perhaps some went along simply to see Scrubious Pip or Royksopp or Billy Bragg (hurray one I’ve heard of). But equally, not everyone that goes along to a Prodigy gig actually wants to be a twisted fire starter.

I know that I went to one of these a long long time ago, I can’t remember the name of it – it was around about the time of the Red Wedge bandwagon and had a lot of the same bands. My reason for going was certainly a bit more earthly than heavenly and centred around sleeping bags that could be zipped together. But I remember being utterly surprised that there were so many people there, mostly wearing yellow for some reason I’ve since forgotten if I ever knew.

Don’t crucify me too much on my stats above mind, I’m no expert, just trying to add a little balance.

Well yes, I did know about that stuff, but I think you'd have to say it's still pretty "fringe", compared to the general attitude of most teens and 20s.

Â