The Pope's visit to Britain

paddy

Is the Pope's visit to Britain a good thing?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Pope's visit to Britain a good thing?

• Yes and I AM a Catholic
    • Yes and I'm NOT a Catholic
    • No and I AM a Catholic
    • No and I am NOT a Caholic

OT As for the visit....I think there is so much volatility currently with the Mosque storm, I wouldn't be shocked to see a terrorist attack or something, whilst he's in the UK.

Not sure why you'd think that, it's not like the Catholic Church has had much to do with provoking terrorism in the recent past. Too busy making Africans die of AIDS and **** little boys to be bothered with Muslims ;-)

I always wondered why the clergy dress the way they do and then I found out that actually it all goes back to Ancient Babylon

Anything else for this origin apart from a picture showing something slightly resemblant of something else?

Yeah there's loads. Just Google "Dagon, Mitre and Catholiscm"

From the Ancient priests of Dagon who dressed up in Fishes costumes

which can be found on the walls of the Pergammon Museum & other places from Babylon.

The Romans then adopted this Fish Worship also

dagon3.jpg

"Note the mitre on the head of this drawing of the goddess Cybele and the striking similarity to the fish head of Dagon. Cybele was worshipped in Rome and was also called the "Magna Mater", or the great queen mother goddess, which evolved into Catholic Mariology. The priesthood of Cybele was composed of castrated males, which parallels the celibate priesthood of Catholicism. The basilica of Saint Peter's, according to some, stands upon the former site of Cybele's main temple in Rome. The ruins of another temple to Cybele / Magna Mater can still be seen today in Rome on Palatine hill."

dagon5.jpg

So, now, here is the fish-head mitre worn by the ranking clergy of the Catholic Church, in this case Pope John Paul II. As can be seen, it is derived directly from the mitres of the ancient pagan fish-god Dagon, and the goddess Cybele. The papal mitre represents the head of Dagon with an open mouth, which is the reason for the pointed shape and split top.

Quotes from a random search on tinternet.

Alexander Hislop wrote a book called "The Two Babylons" but some of this has been discredited, however some of his book was founded on accepted knowledge that the Christian Churches & the Council of Nicea adopted some Pagan traditions and festivals into their "New religion" to make it more acceptable to the Masses.

Not sure why you'd think that, it's not like the Catholic Church has had much to do with provoking terrorism in the recent past. Too busy making Africans die of AIDS and **** little boys to be bothered with Muslims Wink

No but he's a a symbol of modern day Christianity (& animosity between Muslims dating back to the Crusdades)...

in the same manner that the Twin Towers were a symbol of the West to be attacked.

It's some Christian Fundamentalist groups that have been advocating burning the Koran over the Mosque near Ground Zero,

not RCs as far as I know. However it's not saying that some fanatics won't see the Pope as a legitimate target.

Ha ha ha. Brilliant.

I'm no fan of any religion, Julie, but this all just smacks of a load of anti-RCs who want to accuse them of being a false religion.

It's all a lot of internecine religious bullshit.

I do wish that you would stop putting forward biased, pejorative supposition (such as quoted below) as fact.

...it is derived directly...

I always wondered why the clergy dress the way they do and then I found out that actually it all goes back to Ancient Babylon and the Philistines worshipping the fish god Dagon....

z142075353.jpg

OT As for the visit....I think there is so much volatility currently with the Mosque storm, I wouldn't be shocked to see a terrorist attack or something, whilst he's in the UK.

The Dogon of Mali are down with this as well. They believe they were visited by fish-like people from Sirius in the distant past. Their story makes an interesting read. Makes one wonder where the notion of fish-man deity worship started and when. Mali is a long way from Babylon so who influenced who? Did a veritable shoal of extraterrestrial fish-folk swim to all the major human habitations thousands of years ago?

He's doing his sermon 10 mins walk from my house... not a Catholic and seeing as his cult doesnt even stick anywhere near the only evidence it's got to base itself on, no, it's not a good thing.

However... he is a head of state, and the head of over 1 billion followers world wide (rightly or wrongly), so should have a lot of money spent on his protection whilst hes over here.

Ha ha ha. Brilliant.

I'm no fan of any religion, Julie, but this all just smacks of a load of anti-RCs who want to accuse them of being a false religion.

It's all a lot of internecine religious bullshit.

I do wish that you would stop putting forward biased, pejorative supposition (such as quoted below) as fact.

...it is derived directly...

It's not anti RC at all. The clergy and Bishops from the C of E wear similar attire.

The 1st Century Christians had NO Priestly class whatsoever...this was only bought in later on.

Babylon and other ancient cultures is where many so called, Christian, traditions came from. It seems to me you are simply arguing for the sake of it. Where is your evidence that in fact the Bishop/Papal Mitre does not derive it's origin in ancient Pagan religions? Lots of so called Christian beleifs like the the immortality of the soul etc came from Ancient Babylon, these doctrines were not taught by early Christians but were adopted later on.

"The two-horned mitre, which the Pope wears,when he sits on the high altar at Rome and receives the adoration of the Cardinals, is the very mitre worn by the priests of Dagon, the fish-god of the Philistines and Babylonians." - The Two Babylons ; Alexander Hislop; p. 215

Even the "Chinese" Pope Wears

The Dagon Mitre Hat.

"Mr. A. Trimen, a distinguished London architect and author, found that on a certain occasion every year the Chinese Emperor, as Pontifex Maximus of his nation, wears a mitre which is the very counterpart of the Papal mitre." Hager, on Chinese Hieroglyphics, B. xxxv, in the British Museum)

"The great apostate church of the Gospel Age, true to its Babylonish origin, has actually adopted this fish god in its ritual; for the

pope on certain occasions manifests by his head gear that he is the direct representative of Dagon. As it was an indispensable rule in all idolatrous religions that the high priest should wear the insignia of the god that he

worshipped, so the sculptures discovered by Layard show that the priests of Dagon were arrayed in clothing resembling fish. This is probably the "strange apparel" referred to in Zeph. 1:8. Berosus tells us that in the

image of Dagon the head of the man appeared under the head of the fish, while Layard points out that in the case of the priests "the head of the fish formed a mitre above that of the man, while its scaly, fan-like tail fell as a cloak behind, leaving the human limbs and feet exposed."

"Babylon and Nineveh" Austen Henry Layard p. 343)

“The most prominent form of worship in Babylon was dedicated to Dagon, later known as Ichthys, or the fish. In Chaldean times, the head of the church was the representative of Dagon, he was considered to be infallible, and was addressed as ‘Your Holiness’. Nations subdued by Babylon had to kiss the ring and slipper of the Babylonian god-king. The same powers and the same titles are claimed to this day by the Dalai Lama of Buddhism, and the Pope. Moreover, the vestments of paganism, the fish mitre and robes of the priests of Dagon are worn by the Catholic bishops, cardinals and popes. -The Wine of Babylon; Pg 9

The excavations done of ancient Nineveh and Babylon have shed light on the shocking connection between Dagon the fish-god and the Pope’s Mitre (hat).

According to Egyptian mythology, when the judges found Osiris [Nimrod] guilty of corrupting the religion of Adam and cut up his body, they threw the parts into the Nile. It was said that a fish ate one of these chunks and became transformed. Later, Isis [semiramis] was fishing along the river bank when she fished up a half-man, half-fish. This sea creature was Dagon, the reincarnated Nimrod.

Dagon is the representation of Nimrod (of ancient Babylon) resurrecting out of the ocean depths as a half-man, half-fish. The excavations done of ancient Nineveh and Babylon have shed light on the shocking connection between Dagon the fish-god and the Pope’s Mitre (hat).

According to Egyptian mythology, when the judges found Osiris [Nimrod] guilty of corrupting the religion of Adam and cut up his body, they threw the parts into the Nile. It was said that a fish ate one of these chunks and became transformed. Later, Isis [semiramis] was fishing along the river bank when she fished up a half-man, half-fish. This sea creature was Dagon, the reincarnated Nimrod.

Dagon is the representation of Nimrod (of ancient Babylon) resurrecting out of the ocean depths as a half-man, half-fish.

“Dagon is the diminutive of dag, and signifies… fish… The Babylonians believed that a being, part man and part fish, emerged from the Erythraean Sea, and appeared in Babylonia in the early days of its history… Representations of this fish-god have been found among the sculptures of Nineveh. The Philistine Dagon was of a similar character.”

- Manners and Customs of the Bible; James Freeman

And absolutely NOTHING to do with the Roman Catholic Church. What happens to be the sign of Christianity for some? The fish – the “Ichthys”

fish_clipart.gif

Showing that from early times "Fish" had a direct link with worship. Early Christians were supposed to have used this as a secret sign between themselves to avoid identification by their Roman captors and torturers. Therefore it doesn't take much imagination to see that once the connection was made, OTHER fish symbolism was adopted by the so called established Churches later on, which derived their origins NOT from Christianity but from more pagan beleifs that were ingrained already and easily adopted.

Anyhow I've tried to make the point and I'm not arguing over this.

He's doing his sermon 10 mins walk from my house... not a Catholic and seeing as his cult doesnt even stick anywhere near the only evidence it's got to base itself on, no, it's not a good thing.

However... he is a head of state, and the head of over 1 billion followers world wide (rightly or wrongly), so should have a lot of money spent on his protection whilst hes over here.

Do you think the prime minister of Liechtenstein gets as much spent on him?

Lets get real, he isn't coming here as a head of state to visit the government and talk shit about taking Europe forward is he. He's come for a tour, a few gigs round the country, £25 a head, and lots of sponds spent on the merch stalls…. Pope on a Rope, get yer Pope on a Rope here, Pope on a Rope only £10, your genuine Pope on Rope, hang him in your bathroom.

The Rolling Stones pay for their own security

Lots of so called Christian beleifs like the the immortality of the soul etc came from Ancient Babylon, these doctrines were not taught by early Christians but were adopted later on.

An interesting claim.

Jesus said in Matthew 22:32

'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob' ? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

And in Matthew 25:46

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Sounds like an immortal soul to me. And seeing as Christians only became "Christians" by being followers of Jesus, then I'm not sure how you derived that their beliefs came from Ancient Babylon rather than Jesus himself.

That aside, I can think of no "good" reason why the Pope should not go to England. And I'm not Catholic.

Alexander Hislop wrote a book called "The Two Babylons" but some of this has been discredited, however some of his book was founded on accepted knowledge that the Christian Churches & the Council of Nicea adopted some Pagan traditions and festivals into their "New religion" to make it more acceptable to the Masses.

some?

What the Catholic Church needs is a progressive Pope who is going to move with the times and get the young people back into the chapels.

:shock:

There was an old woman on BBC news last night being interviewed outside her church about the Popes visit. She was asked by the interviewer if any of the scandles had caused her to turn off the Pope.

She replied, without a hint of irony, "None of the scandles change my view of the Pope, they might affect the younger people more though but not me".

That aside, I can think of no "good" reason why the Pope should not go to England. And I'm not Catholic.

You aware that covering up a crime is illegal and this pontiff has been personally responsible (before he was merely mortal) for covering up hundreds if not thousands of under age sex crimes. We still don't know the full extent of the crimes in the church worldwide. I think thats enough of a reason to arrest him or ban him from coming to the country

You aware that covering up a crime is illegal and this pontiff has been personally responsible (before he was merely mortal) for covering up hundreds if not thousands of under age sex crimes.

We still don't know the full extent of the crimes

Yes we dont know, only what the media report.

They are hardly going to report that the Pope flew around the world saving kids left right and centre are they.

Â