The Pope's visit to Britain

paddy

Is the Pope's visit to Britain a good thing?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Pope's visit to Britain a good thing?

• Yes and I AM a Catholic
    • Yes and I'm NOT a Catholic
    • No and I AM a Catholic
    • No and I am NOT a Caholic

The fact that we are forking out for this but can't go unless your selected by your local church is a disgrace. I know people will say that we pay for a lot of stuff that we aren't interested in but at least we have a choice. The Catholic church should pay for this and also the inconvenience it causes to the local residents by way of a donation to a local cause.

Bah humbug.

G20, London. Cost £50m. How many of them did you have the chance to go and meet?

The point is I don't want to go to see the pope even if I could so don't see why my taxes should be used to pay for his visit when we are cutting back in so many other areas. As for the G20 I was represented by the government I had the opportunity to vote for. I don't remember getting a vote in the Papal election.

G20, London. Cost £50m. How many of them did you have the chance to go and meet?
As for the G20 I was represented by the government I had the opportunity to vote for.
Well this time you will be represented by both the government and the queen who will both be meeting the man in the hat. So double bubble for your money.

As for the G20 I was represented by the government I had the opportunity to vote for.
Well this time you will be represented by both the government and the queen who will both be meeting the man in the hat. So double bubble for your money.

Sounds like value for money. Perhaps if the pope bought God along for a guest appearance I might have a re think.

A meeting of the leaders of the most powerful countries in the world. Imagine the problems we'd face poliically if we allowed he Chinese leader to be killed in our country. We'd spend far more repairing the political famage. While it's expensive it's important World leaders meet imo.

I wonder if we'll be having official visits for other Religious figures and wasting so much money on that.

A meeting of the leaders of the most powerful countries in the world. Imagine the problems we'd face poliically if we allowed he Chinese leader to be killed in our country. We'd spend far more repairing the political famage. While it's expensive it's important World leaders meet imo.

I wonder if we'll be having official visits for other Religious figures and wasting so much money on that.

So if it's so dangerous, why hold it in London? So the Uk can gain prestige from it? the UK gained what from paying for this. Maybe they should learn from the bildegerg group and meet in quiet out of way spaces.

G20 was a PR exercise for govts, nothing decided, nothing delivered. All the work is done beforehand.

"Imagine the problems we'd face poliically if we allowed the Catholic leader to be killed in our country. We'd spend far more repairing the political famage."

Wasn't Dawkins and Hitchens saying a while back that they were going to try and get the relevant authorities to arrest the Pope for crimes against humanity for covering up the priest child molestation issue?

Link

The CNN anchor comes across as a bit of a stuck-up bitch in that interview.

I think she saying it's a Bum Rap.

So your main defence of the Pope seems to be that there are other things as bad as him so therefore he should be excused?

Well the OP said he didn't want this to be about religion, yet all the things people complained about existed elsewhere, but only got complained about when they were due to religion.

Not defending the pope - Never said he should be excused - I really don't condone child abuse to be honest in any situation, anywhere. Just pointing out that people were not interested in protesting the same issues elsewhere. So why here. Or is it about religion?

Thought it might be helpful, in the absence of any actual debate (not one poster has welcomed his visit though 19% have voted that it's a good thing).

So your main defence of the Pope seems to be that there are other things as bad as him so therefore he should be excused?

Well the OP said he didn't want this to be about religion, yet all the things people complained about existed elsewhere, but only got complained about when they were due to religion.

Not defending the pope - Never said he should be excused - I really don't condone child abuse to be honest in any situation, anywhere. Just pointing out that people were not interested in protesting the same issues elsewhere. So why here. Or is it about religion?

Thought it might be helpful, in the absence of any actual debate (not one poster has welcomed his visit though 19% have voted that it's a good thing).

I'm not really sure how you can make the claim that "people were not interested in protesting the same issues elsewhere".

Leader of possibly THE WORST cult in the world, in terms of impact on humanity. Evil evil religion

LOL. As bad as the Catholic Churchs track record is (and it is), plenty of other Christian sects have as bloody and discriminatory a record as the RCC.

Anyway, seeing as ye Brit Taxpayers seemingly have no problem on spending 10s of millions every year to subsidise the head of the Anglican Church, whats 12m to ye to throw a party for the head of the UKs 2nd largest religion?.

Â