Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

The more I looked through his record the more I felt I had misjudged the man because I hate Liverpool and because of the Diouf/Diao/Cheyrou signings debacle.

This is what I concluded about many peoples opinion, you're far from the only person to do :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Thompson exclusive: Why I turned down Aston Villa role

Sep 9 2010

Phil Thompson speaks for the first time about why he turned down the chance to be Gerard Houllier’s No.2 at Villa.

SOMETIMES in life you get presented with an opportunity that is too good to be true but, ultimately, has to be turned down.

Had circumstances been different, I would have been delighted to accept the chance to join Gerard Houllier and work with him and Patrice Bergues once again at Aston Villa.

But I had to weigh up the pros and cons and while it was both flattering to be asked, not to mention hugely enticing, I really had no other choice but to turn the offer down.

When you work with Gerard, you are signing up to 12-hour days; on top of that, you have to go to reserve games, scout players and also head off to check up on forthcoming opponents – in other words, you have to be totally committed.

Now don’t get me wrong, I would love to throw myself at such a challenge again but, at the same time, I do not want to uproot my wife and my two boys; I’m not someone who could live away from them through the week.

What’s more, the thought of doing a daily commute on the M6 does not appeal. We all know that stretch of road, at the best of times, can resemble a car park but to do the job properly you really have to be living in the vicinity of the training ground.

I would have been cheating Gerard, the club and the fans and that would not have been fair.

Aston Villa are a terrific club with a great history and I remember only too well being on the end of a 5-1 drubbing there in 1976.

It’s fantastic to see Gerard back in the game and I have absolutely no doubt he will do a terrific job.

I’ve heard some people try to say he is not the right man to take over from Martin O’Neill but the Aston Villa supporters I have heard are genuinely happy with the choice.

He has got a wealth of knowledge, knows the game inside out and it will be a fantastic occasion when Liverpool tackle Villa at Anfield in the first weekend of December.

It would have been great to strike up the partnership we had at Anfield and to be involved in the day-to-day running of a football club again really did turn my head.

But there were other things to consider and my family comes first. To take on such a job, everything had to be right and that wasn’t the case.

So those people who watch me on Soccer Saturday, you have been warned – I’ll be ranting and raving on television for a good while yet.

Clicky

The more I looked through his record the more I felt I had misjudged the man because I hate Liverpool and because of the Diouf/Diao/Cheyrou signings debacle.

This is what I concluded about many peoples opinion, you're far from the only person to do :)

First opinions are based on little info and a lot of preconceptions and a good dose of emotion. Some people blindly stick to their first opinion rather than admit they were hasty, I've been hasty quite a bit in the past month.

But real opinion comes after considered reflection

At this moment in time, is he not correct?

For the last three weeks, these boards have been full of people making the same prediction for this season. We have not strengthened and have lost one of our more influential players, whilst others around us have strengthened.

In the case of Liverpool having a better team, no I really think that statement is incorrect.

Worth mentioning they have added Joe Cole, he's a great player but not the answer to the problems at Liverpool.

I would have a serious expectation that we should be competing with / finishing higher than Liverpool. The likes of spurs and man city are ahead of Liverpool and I could accept they have better teams than us, but not Liverpool.

Of course the whole statement is based losely on a crap biased google translation and probalby doesn't reflect what was actually meant at all, at least I hope not.

good lord that "7th-12th" quote seems quite obviously an assessment of what the external world ( ie not us ) thinks of Villa at the moment. I hardly think he's going - "and yeah, I plan on just killing time hanging around 7th -12th as well, should be a piece of piss, get me some euros avec mon claret si vous understandy eh?"

At this moment in time, is he not correct?

For the last three weeks, these boards have been full of people making the same prediction for this season. We have not strengthened and have lost one of our more influential players, whilst others around us have strengthened.

In the case of Liverpool having a better team, no I really think that statement is incorrect.

Worth mentioning they have added Joe Cole, he's a great player but not the answer to the problems at Liverpool.

I would have a serious expectation that we should be competing with / finishing higher than Liverpool. The likes of spurs and man city are ahead of Liverpool and I could accept they have better teams than us, but not Liverpool.

Of course the whole statement is based losely on a crap biased google translation and probalby doesn't reflect what was actually meant at all, at least I hope not.

Liverpool have a squad that is miles ahead of us in terms of technical ability. I mean , lets not kid ourselves here. Last season was an absolute disaster for them , that is why Rafa went.

we have a squad that is adequate and competitive but these are no world beaters , lets be honest.

8th is about our level , the yard stick , anything above it will be a bonus this season , considering the circumstances.

The problem is that he is spot on. We are looking like a 7 to 12 team NOW. Chelsea, Man U. Arsenal and City are very likely to be over us. Then there is Spurs and Liverpool - they too look in a strong/stronger position than us. But this is now and it is not written in stone. We can challenge. And I am sure we will.

Erm :-

Premier league 2009

Teams

Team P W D L F A GD PTS

1 Chelsea 38 27 5 6 103 32 71 86

2 Man Utd 38 27 4 7 86 28 58 85

3 Arsenal 38 23 6 9 83 41 42 75

4 Tottenham 38 21 7 10 67 41 26 70

5 Manchester City 38 18 13 7 73 45 28 67

6 Aston Villa 38 17 13 8 52 39 13 64

7 Liverpool 38 18 9 11 61 35 26 63

We still have pretty much the same team and so do liverpool, I dont really see liverpool getting much better than last season either.

So you think Liverpool played as well as they could last year - I don't. They have a very good squad and some match winners that are better than ours.

I think it is fair to say that we still have to catch up - one season over Liverpool in the last 10 years does not make us their equals - yet.

Phil Thompson exclusive: Why I turned down Aston Villa role

Sep 9 2010

Phil Thompson speaks for the first time about why he turned down the chance to be Gerard Houllier’s No.2 at Villa.

SOMETIMES in life you get presented with an opportunity that is too good to be true but, ultimately, has to be turned down.

Had circumstances been different, I would have been delighted to accept the chance to join Gerard Houllier and work with him and Patrice Bergues once again at Aston Villa.

But I had to weigh up the pros and cons and while it was both flattering to be asked, not to mention hugely enticing, I really had no other choice but to turn the offer down.

When you work with Gerard, you are signing up to 12-hour days; on top of that, you have to go to reserve games, scout players and also head off to check up on forthcoming opponents – in other words, you have to be totally committed.

Now don’t get me wrong, I would love to throw myself at such a challenge again but, at the same time, I do not want to uproot my wife and my two boys; I’m not someone who could live away from them through the week.

What’s more, the thought of doing a daily commute on the M6 does not appeal. We all know that stretch of road, at the best of times, can resemble a car park but to do the job properly you really have to be living in the vicinity of the training ground.

I would have been cheating Gerard, the club and the fans and that would not have been fair.

Aston Villa are a terrific club with a great history and I remember only too well being on the end of a 5-1 drubbing there in 1976.

It’s fantastic to see Gerard back in the game and I have absolutely no doubt he will do a terrific job.

I’ve heard some people try to say he is not the right man to take over from Martin O’Neill but the Aston Villa supporters I have heard are genuinely happy with the choice.

He has got a wealth of knowledge, knows the game inside out and it will be a fantastic occasion when Liverpool tackle Villa at Anfield in the first weekend of December.

It would have been great to strike up the partnership we had at Anfield and to be involved in the day-to-day running of a football club again really did turn my head.

But there were other things to consider and my family comes first. To take on such a job, everything had to be right and that wasn’t the case.

So those people who watch me on Soccer Saturday, you have been warned – I’ll be ranting and raving on television for a good while yet.

Clicky

To be fair to PT he could have taken a big wage from Villa and tried to 'blag it' for a year or two by arriving at BH at 9:30, leaving at 13:00, not watching future opponents or following up scout reports and demanding a driver for his commute. He obviously know's GH would not accept less than 100% commitment and has admitted he's not in a position to do that. That's honest and suits me. :)

In my opinion, it is one of many reasons why the MINORITY of supporters on here are negative about the appointment of Gerard Houllier because their opinion of Aston Villa's current status is inflated. I don't like commenting on what has allegedly been said in the press becuse it can be simply wrong or taken out of context. If, however, he did say that about our current situation then I don't think he is far wrong. He doesn't mention future ambitions. We are not currently a side that is challenging for the title and are not currently successfully managing to break in to the Champions League positions. We have to be realistic about our current ambitions and back our manager to drive us closer to our dreams.

Fair play to Phil Thompson thats a good post.

I agree. Referring to the 5-1, an incredible result against a wonderful side, and probably long forgotten outside of B6, demonstrates a level of humility that I didn't think the man possessed.

He has gone up in my estimation.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/football-clubs-etrangers/2010/09/04/02017-20100904ARTSPO00426-houllier-vers-aston-villa.php

Aston Villa is not a club of the same level as Liverpool" he said. "Let's be objective and honest, it is a club which, for me, finds itself between seventh and twelfth place.

Meet your new boss. and his new objective.

I have two questions for you:

1) Where does 7th to 12th appear as an objective for GH?

2) Why do you appear to hate GH so much?

He doesn't mention future ambitions.

He does. He says that we (Villa) ask only one thing, year on year progress (define that however you choose as I think there have been many discussions about what constitutes progress in the last year or two).

The mid-table comments aren't an objective but his assessment of the club.

In my opinion, it is one of many reasons why the MINORITY of supporters on here are negative about the appointment of Gerard Houllier because their opinion of Aston Villa's current status is inflated. I don't like commenting on what has allegedly been said in the press becuse it can be simply wrong or taken out of context. If, however, he did say that about our current situation then I don't think he is far wrong. He doesn't mention future ambitions. We are not currently a side that is challenging for the title and are not currently successfully managing to break in to the Champions League positions. We have to be realistic about our current ambitions and back our manager to drive us closer to our dreams.

And to be fair. its not a bad bench mark to start at. I mean, its not as if hes coming into a relegation threatened club.

So you think Liverpool played as well as they could last year - I don't. They have a very good squad and some match winners that are better than ours.

I think it is fair to say that we still have to catch up - one season over Liverpool in the last 10 years does not make us their equals - yet.

It roughly reflected the form and injury status of gerrard and torres, I dont expect that to be much better this season...they have one advantage in Joe Cole now of course.

I also don't believe us being over liverpool for one season has anything to do with them become worse and worse season on season, which is more to the point IMO.

I really dont see Liverpool as the force they once were, financially they are in dia straights. I see our goals as trying our best to compete with Man City and Spurs, Liverpool will have to do very well or we will have to perform quite bad for them to have done better than us.

A bias to Liverpool built into the computer program? Those bastard Google programmers...

Seriously though, I think Houllier was just assessing where Villa stand as a club in terms of recent history. He is quite clearly correct to say that objectively we're not on Liverpool's level on that basis.

There is NOTHING AT ALL in that article to suggest that 7th to 12th is his objective.

Â