Stephen Ireland

Richard

i think the difference is, that Ireland is now putting the work in on the pitch, the fans have responded to that, my only critiscism wasn't the undoubted talent he had, just that for something like 18 months the lad was sulking because he'd been forced to move here and wasn't applying himself.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's grown up a lot since then.. He even said on the BBC interview he realised he wouldn't have stayed at Man City forever. I think it did take a long time for him to realise that, but now he has he's relishing playing for a team who is happy to play him week in week out.

We need a big performance from him tomorrow. As well as he's playing, he is the senior player in the midfield now and he needs to help the young striker too. He needs to grab the bull by the horns and start scoring some goals for us.

Ireland has the capability to score goals, People thinking he needs to chip in with some though need to look at how he is being played. He is clearly playing a deeper role than he did in his city days. He wont score many from outside the box, he is best when he is linking with a striker who can play one twos with him. Not one of our strikers really have the footballing brain to achieve this most of the time. In my eyes he is playing very well in his role at the minute.

Obviously if he scores its good though.

I say let Ireland play in a more advanced role e.g. Just in behind the striker, so go 4411.. That way Ireland will be able to contribute more in terms of Goals and Assist because he will be able to influence the play higher up the pitch, and be able to be nuisance for the Bolton defence.. give him a highly free creative attacking role just behind the striker, He would cause havoc for the defenders...

Very True Swerbs he did play a one two with Weimann! But I still think my point stands.

CED your bang on there chap, We just dont have to quality to afford to play Ireland further up the pitch. The more he sees of the ball the better, Nost of the games he has played this season nearly all the passing moves have come through him one way or another.

You are closer to the mark then you realise.

That's what worries me, not only is McLeish a pathetic excuse for a manager, like O'Neill he is petty and happy to bare a grudge rather than put out best team.

like O'Neill he is petty and happy to bare a grudge rather than put out best team.
It's a bit of a sick joke to compare O'Neill with McLeish in any way. O'Neill's teams go in the other direction.

Not sure why you go back so far and didn't mention Houllier's petty grudges - including banishing our MOTM of yesterday to the reserves for half a season.

In my view it was Houllier's abysmal handling of the squad that started the rot and the bad attitude that is putting us so much in peril now.

It's a bit of a sick joke to compare O'Neill with McLeish in any way. O'Neill's teams go in the other direction.

Not sure why you go back so far and didn't mention Houllier's petty grudges - including banishing our MOTM of yesterday to the reserves for half a season.

In my view it was Houllier's abysmal handling of the squad that started the rot and the bad attitude that is putting us so much in peril now.

All three have done it though... Houllier with Ireland (Warnock deserved to be dropped!)... O'Neill with Carew, Reo-Coker and others. I chose O'Neill because he scrapped during one of his fallings out.

At least the previous two had some sort of plan/blueprint for tactics, yesterday was frankly embarressing.

You are closer to the mark then you realise.

That's what worries me, not only is McLeish a pathetic excuse for a manager, like O'Neill he is petty and happy to bare a grudge rather than put out best team.

I am not sure with this particular injury, but earlier in the season, both Zog and Ireland were dropped for disciplinary reasons, but the media was told injuries. They made pretty miraculous recoveries fronm these injuries didnt they?

The club is a joke.