Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

The goal against Liverpool he scored he nearly missed hitting it straight at the goal keeper! (ball went underneath Reina)The goal against Man Utd was just one of those strikes that would go in if anybody hit it like that. He rarely scores convincing goals. Never in the corners of the goal like proper finishes ...he's very 'scuffy'.

Just such a weak argument.

Suppose his goal v Stoke the season before was a scuff too?

Agree with Tom, his goal vs Swansea was great technique. And plus his belters in pre-season and against Rotherham were quality strikers.

Yes it was against weaker opposition, however it's the same ball? The quality is there, just very low on confidence IMO.

Think people are going slightly OTT.

But most of the time he runs around like a headless chicken. That's not OTT

Don't understand the relevance to my comment?

New, improved contracts often change the performance of a player. It's nothing new.

I don't think that's the case. Its not as though he isn't putting a shift in. He is working his bollocks off every week. Unfortunately though his end product has been poor. He had a great chance today but just didn't seem to have the confidence to finish.

I am not sure if a spell on the bench would do him some good or we stick with him for a while longer and hope he plays himself into some form.

He's putting in a shift but lacking the quality that he showed last season, for whatever reason. I like him as a player and hope it's just a case of him being a bit unlucky or just lacking in confidence.

Weimann

0 key passes. 4 shots, all off target (should have scored once).  dispossessed 3 times. turned over the ball 4 times. 

I felt that he was trying hard but that he's got lead in his boots which makes it difficult for him to control the ball.

Agbonlahor

0 key passes. 1 shot on target (should have scored). dispossessed 2 times. turned over the ball 2 times.

Maybe he'd be a better wing back?

Benteke

0 key passes. 4 shots, 2 on target (should have scored twice). dispossessed 3 times. turned over the ball 3 times.

His bad game can be explained because he just come back after injury.

Tonev wasn't that bad today so the idea of Tonev replacing Weimann for next game is now not a bad one. I would also drop Agbonlahor and play Kozak against the West Ham defence.

So was the pass to Agbonlahor not counted as a key pass. That's why i ignore stats.

Did you watch MOTD? It wasn't a deliberate pass. It deflected 45° off the defender's legs toward Agbonlahor. The intended pass must have been to the far post.

There was a slight deflection yes.

New, improved contracts often change the performance of a player. It's nothing new.

I don't think that's the case. Its not as though he isn't putting a shift in. He is working his bollocks off every week. Unfortunately though his end product has been poor. He had a great chance today but just didn't seem to have the confidence to finish.

I am not sure if a spell on the bench would do him some good or we stick with him for a while longer and hope he plays himself into some form.

He's putting in a shift but lacking the quality that he showed last season, for whatever reason. I like him as a player and hope it's just a case of him being a bit unlucky or just lacking in confidence.

He's trying too hard and yes its just lack of confidence 

He's just not very good is he? Runs around a lot but has the touch of a rapist and isn't exactly clinical in front of goal. Him an Gabby are too similar to both be playing in the same side, i.e. neither of them can be relied upon to get goals or create chances on an even semi consistent basis. This means that when Benteke doesn't score we can't rely on our other "strikers" (or wingers) to fill the void. 

He needs to be put on the bench for a few games and given a rest. For such a young player he has played the majority of games since the middle of the 11/12 season and he just looks worn out. Especially considering his work rate in matches.

He needs to be put on the bench for a few games and given a rest. For such a young player he has played the majority of games since the middle of the 11/12 season and he just looks worn out. Especially considering his work rate in matches.

I agree, i think he could benefit from a few games on the sidelines. he's the kind of guy who would work his socks off to get back in, and right now he needs to work a quite a few aspects of his game.

he just looks worn out. Especially considering his work rate in matches.

Is that not a contradiction? I don't think he looks worn out at all, he runs himself into the ground every game he plays. If he was worn out then his effort level would dip resulting in poor performances but that's not his problem. If anything he's working too hard, trying to do too much too fast at too high a pace. If he slowed down a tad then maybe his touch, composure and final ball might improve. Technical ability is what's holding him back, not work rate or energy levels.

I agree, i think he could benefit from a few games on the sidelines. he's the kind of guy who would work his socks off to get back in, and right now he needs to work a quite a few aspects of his game.

I sort of agree as well as Gabby being dropped as well. The problem is we cant drop them as we have very litlle quality/experience to replace either of them.

We are staying in the prem on the cheap every season and i dont expect anything improving drastically when lerner doesnt leave, start to spend again

What is this 'lack of confidence' that people keep mentioning? He scored the winner against Man City a few weeks ago, and seemed to enjoy it, why should he be lacking in confidence?

This. If scoring the winner against City couldn't kick-start his season, then I'm not sure what will...

What is this 'lack of confidence' that people keep mentioning? He scored the winner against Man City a few weeks ago, and seemed to enjoy it, why should he be lacking in confidence?

This. If scoring the winner against City couldn't kick-start his season, then I'm not sure what will...

Right well what other explanation is there for it then.  Its easy enough to say he's crap but he wasn't crap last season.  As far as i can see he's trying but apart from the City game things just haven't come off for him. 

The goal against Liverpool he scored he nearly missed hitting it straight at the goal keeper! (ball went underneath Reina)The goal against Man Utd was just one of those strikes that would go in if anybody hit it like that. He rarely scores convincing goals. Never in the corners of the goal like proper finishes ...he's very 'scuffy'.

Seriously? If anybody had hit it like that, they would have scored? Bolt isn't a special runner, if I could run as fast as him, I could be the fastest man in the world.

What is this 'lack of confidence' that people keep mentioning? He scored the winner against Man City a few weeks ago, and seemed to enjoy it, why should he be lacking in confidence?

Right well what other explanation is there for it then. Its easy enough to say he's crap but he wasn't crap last season. As far as i can see he's trying but apart from the City game things just haven't come off for him.

How in any way did I suggest he was 'crap'? I believe he is going through bad form but how many bad games does he need to go through before being dropped? I'm sure he'll bounce back and improve although I doubt he has the ability to ever be more then an average wide-forward. I really hope Lambert sees his long-term role playing centrally because I believe he can become a 20 goal-a-season striker. In the meantime though, we shouldn't continue starting him when he is playing so badly and there is no improvement in sight. You would've thought that the events of the City game may have proved to be a catalyst for an upturn in form but alas, it hasn't turned out to be.

He certainly tries. I will never knock his contribution or workrate but that only goes so far when you are an attacker.

Edited by Isa

Agree. It's nothing to do with lacking confidence. He's just not really very good.

Â