Rapid Vienna 1-1 Aston Villa - Reactions and ratings!

PompeyVillan

Guzan - 5

Lichaj - 5

Beye - 6

Davis -6

Warnock - 6

Albrighton - 8

Coker - 5

Hogg - 4

Bannan - 7

Downing - 6

Heskey - 6

Decent result considering the team we played.

Ref was crap

Their fans were a disgrace.

Worried Ashley Young were left at home to not cup tie them?

Or maybe rested for Sunday

Far too reasonable, must be something deeper.

Thought it was a good enough result considering the team and that they all looked fairly leggy early on.

At this stage in the season it's understandable.

At least the first 11 on Sunday will be fresher than if they were all playing tonight.

Didn't see match, but not really happy with result. 0-2 should have been the minimum acceptable. The door for Rapid is far from shut. I think KM should have started and played a team that would get at least 0-2 result. Most on here are content "considering the line-up" but the lineup was one our manager selected. Should have selected a better one.

I'm not trying to be negative, but trying to use claret colored glasses, not rose colored. I think we can and should do better.

Didn't see match, but not really happy with result. 0-2 should have been the minimum acceptable. The door for Rapid is far from shut. I think KM should have started and played a team that would get at least 0-2 result. Most on here are content "considering the line-up" but the lineup was one our manager selected. Should have selected a better one.

I'm not trying to be negative, but trying to use claret colored glasses, not rose colored. I think we can and should do better.

the team we put out in Vienna last year was on paper at least a better one and we came away with nothing. i'd have taken a draw prior to KO today, id probably have taken a draw if all the senior lads were playing. we should be far too good for them at VP.

You have unrealistic expectations. A score draw away in Europe is an excellent result.

In all the games tonight in the Europa league, only two teams have won away from home with a two goal lead. One was Porto pretty much a Champions League side. Says it all.

EDIT: It is also disrespectful to a Rapid side who beat us last year. It was not an easy game in the slightest.

What the hell? This is European football. Not the Premier League, where teams win away quite often.

It was an excellent result.

It hadn't occurred to me that we might have left some of the more senior players at home to avoid cup tie-ing them. You've put a little worry into my head now.

:?

I heard Man City sent us a blank cheque in the post.

OK, so at least three think I'm far too demanding. Maybe so, but I don't like "not a bad result considering the team" or "not a bad result considering it's european football" or "or not a bad result considering" anything. Those considerations should be made before the match, not afterwards to downplay a result that would be disappointing if it weren't for whatever excuse being tendered.

Shouldn't we consider those things in advance? Bottom line, I'm not happy we fielded a team that we feel lucky to escape with a 1-1.

Not a bad post considering I'm an american. ;)

It hadn't occurred to me that we might have left some of the more senior players at home to avoid cup tie-ing them. You've put a little worry into my head now.

:?

You joking?

Only a little worry.

:)

It amazes me how people can see the game so differently than others. The sad thing is that there are certain fans who just don't like certain players. It doesn't matter how well they play they will always be crap in their eyes. Heskey and NRC worked their asses off tonight with a group of youngesters and players who have hardly played in the last year. They did a fine job in what was a difficult game but still get slated.

I'll be honest and say that I'm not the biggest fan of Petrov but man enough to see the big picture and admit when he does well. I wish certain fans would just get behind the team and the players and know the players are doing the best they can. Sadly we don't have Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka or Torres but have players who want to play.

Very proud of all the players tonight no matter how they played. They wear the claret and blue and I'll give a fair reflection on their performnace because they deserve it. I must admit though I didn't know Hogg was playing until the 2nd half. He needs to go out on loan for more experiance along with Lichaj.

KM was true to his word when he told players he would give everyone their chance. I believe he has done that in his first two games. He said after he did that, players would be picked due to their performances and not who they are. So as he said "Let the competition begin!"

Lichaj is wank. Beye isn't a centre back. Davies is shite without a commanding partner. Warnock needs to get better boots. Guzan isn't good enough.

Defence was shocking IMO. As for Midfield.

Hogg did a Jon Obi, not too bad. Reo-Coker confirmed my belief that he has a pish first touch but other than that he did well enough. Bannan looked good but I think he needs loaned out. Albrighton carried on from where he left off. Downing was alright, bit isolated.

And up front Heskey was meh.

To digress, we have about 15-16 good players at the club and the rest need sold and replaced whilst the youngsters get more game time elsewhere

NRC was quality at breaking up alot of their attacks tonight and was very harshly treated by the ref on more than one occasion. I'd like to see him play with Petrov and Ireland in a midfield 3 against Newcastle.

I think the defence could quite easily have gifted Rapid the tie in the first half. Davies was terribly out of shape, although to be fair a lack of first team appearances possibly contributed to this....maybe?

Downing drifted in and out, which put a lot of pressure on young Albrighton and it showed eventually. NRC, I thought, was getting stuck in a fair bit second half and Heskey must have been on a promise with the amount of running he did!

No one else shone for me really. Bannan took his goal well, but there was some fairly average performances. Probably good enough to consider 'job done' but they could have slipped up.

It amazes me how people can see the game so differently than others. The sad thing is that there are certain fans who just don't like certain players. It doesn't matter how well they play they will always be crap in their eyes. Heskey and NRC worked their asses off tonight with a group of youngesters and players who have hardly played in the last year. They did a fine job in what was a difficult game but still get slated.

I'll be honest and say that I'm not the biggest fan of Petrov but man enough to see the big picture and admit when he does well. I wish certain fans would just get behind the team and the players and know the players are doing the best they can. Sadly we don't have Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka or Torres but have players who want to play.

And equally there are certain fans who favour certain players and can see no wrong in them, even when they put in a bad performance.

I'm not a Heskey fan at all, but I thought he did OK tonight. NRC I didn't think did very well. Yes, he has energy. Yes, he tried hard. But he lacked quality in every part of his game.

Getting behind the team is all well and good, but we should also be able to criticise players when we don't think they have performed well, otherwise there wouldn't be much point of this message board.

Curtis Davies 3/10

seriously what was he doing for their goal getting caught under the ball like that the other bloke got at least an extra foot off the ground it was another leicester/pub performance from the young defender if he wants to force his way in front of Collins/Dunne he will need to perform at a much higher level than that i also thought habib beye was out of position as well but thats what you get when you get 2 centre halfs who have never played together before no chemistry he can only improve after this performance.

Â