Rapid Vienna 1-1 Aston Villa - Reactions and ratings!

PompeyVillan

Just got in from work. Had to make do with Radio 5's seriously half assed coverage of the game on my drive home from Birmingham. I knew we were fielding a weakened side, but blimey, when I heard the starting XI I was shocked at how many fringe players got a game. Coming back with a draw and an away goal (they do count this year?) is more than acceptable, but I assume this side will probably be the one who plays the second leg too?

Just got in from work. Had to make do with Radio 5's seriously half assed coverage of the game on my drive home from Birmingham. I knew we were fielding a weakened side, but blimey, when I heard the starting XI I was shocked at how many fringe players got a game. Coming back with a draw and an away goal (they do count this year?) is more than acceptable, but I assume this side will probably be the one who plays the second leg too?

I very much doubt it, I reckon the likes of Dunne(suspended), Gabby (injured), Cuellar (injured), and Young (rested) to return. Maybe even Petrov.

Good result with our Reserve team - I think it's important to emphasize that - it was a Reserve team out there, so I wasn't expecting a walk-over.

Two points to note:

1) Does the average European referee go to the Refereeing School for Pansies?

2) Special note to the feral scum that R.V fans appear to be; Guzan isn't one of the Aliens out of 'Signs', so squirting him with liquid isn't going to make him lose consciousness.

Good result, average performance as you say.

Guzan - 7 - Some good saves, some iffy moments.

Lichaj - 5 - I thought he was poor.

Davies - 6.5 - First half was average, 2nd half picked it up a fair bit and looked solid.

Beye - 6.5 - The opposite, started well, ended with some mistakes.

Warnock - 6 - Pretty average, Just looked lazy.

Downing - 6 - Barely got involved, then again, we barely had the ball.

Reo-Coker - 6 - Average but then again, he was playing in midfield by himself and was the one having to pick the ball up and play, that's not his game.

Albrighton - 7.5 - lost the ball a few times but lack of options didn't help, still looked lively and our biggest threat.

Bannan - 7 - started well, looked good but faded as the game went on.

Heskey - 7 - thought he did a good job up there, held it up well, bought others into the game, was unlucky with a header that was blocked. Little service and little to work with and support. Did the best he could.

Osbourne - 10 - got on the pitch.

Ref - 1 - total disgrace.

Played like a pre season friendly at times, kids, hospital balls, bottled tackles and slow pace

Ref was a joker, but its same old story we just dont play that way and the opposition do

Heskey was a ghost, formation is good but will neve work with him

Albrighton was awesome again

Gutted for andreas, disgusting how they threw water at him as he went off

And if reo coker is the answer, what the **** is the question?

Relieved we came away with a draw - probably a bit lucky tbh.

But results are all that matter, as I've always said, and a draw with an away goal is a fair outcome.

I hope never to see that back 4 play ever again.

Great game from Albrighton, he's the only one worth singling out for mention - got a feeling this will be his season

I didn't notice Hogg to be honest, and NRC did a good job of holding the midfield together.

Lichaj looks like a decent athlete and competes well but is still a rookie and I don't think he'll make it with us or in the Premier League.

Albrighton was fantastic again, but was our only outlet and got tired towards the end of the match.

Bannan scored a good goal from a good move, showed good touches but again was invisible for most of the match.

We might be rating these guys harshly though, because Rapid are actually a very good team (star striker or not), as they showed last season in the Europa League. A draw at their place is pretty good.

MacDonald put faith in youth and it paid off again, we got a good results.

It really bugs me, seeing people before kick off being so angry with the team we play and saying

and I expect our European campaign to end before it's started again,

and during the match after they scored 1-1:

second will come

And yet we manage a good away result, thus achieving a lot better than this person have been expected. Then you should expect some happiness.

No **** way. Then it is:

Out played and out thought.

Albrighton and Bannan looked class at times tonight. Very impressive. Think they were taken off at the right time as they seemed to look a little leggy.

Defence looked shaky at set pieces. Vienna only got through our defence once which Guzan saved. Distribution was alright too from the back.

Hogg was anonymous for the majority. Lichaj looked a little out of his depth.

I think we might see some more experienced players when there's not a journey involved. Definitely need some experience in defence, hopefully Dunne will play, I take it that it was just a one match ban?

Reo-Coker was awful. His passing all over the place. That and his decision making with the ball messed up numerous attacks and put us in trouble at the back too.

Totally disagree, NRC broke up play well and got forward on the right occasions. Being on a yellow card for so long I was worried but he kept disciplined and didn't do any rash challenges.

Albrighton and Bannan looked class at times tonight. Very impressive. Think they were taken off at the right time as they seemed to look a little leggy.

Defence looked shaky at set pieces. Vienna only got through our defence once which Guzan saved. Distribution was alright too from the back.

Hogg was anonymous for the majority. Lichaj looked a little out of his depth.

Agree with this, defiently want to see Bannan getting more games.

really struggled with high balls into the box. warnock was dreadful defensively, shirking challenges all over the place and not closing down their wide men. we played some nice stuff in the early going with albrighton, downing and bannan who all looked pretty dangerous. given the 11 on the pitch a very creditable result.

Â