Rapid Vienna 1-1 Aston Villa - Reactions and ratings!

PompeyVillan

Reo-Coker was awful. His passing all over the place. That and his decision making with the ball messed up numerous attacks and put us in trouble at the back too.

To be fair, he was playing alongside Hogg, and it was hard work for him. He was far more box to box than even he would care to play.

Result OK - performance average

Guzan - not impressed. Shot stopper, does not command. Need a goalie

Lichaj - doesn't impress me, can't see it

Beye - best of bad defence. Did OK

Davies - very poor - try talking with yor feet, coz your mouth doesn't match their ability

Warnock - distinctly average

Bannan - lively, creative

Coker - disappointing, just seemed to moan all night. Expect a lot more

Albrighton - MOTM - although not that good, created all our openins though

Hogg - was he in Austria today ?

Heskey - was he with Hogg ?

Findings

Get a goalie

face it - heskey is NO GOOD

Bannan and Albrighton have futures

Lichaj and Hogg not so sure

One thing that really annoyed me was the referee. Countless times when we looked to break and counter thus relieving some pressure he'd give them the softest free kick and given how much we struggled with aeriel balls put the pressure back on our makeshift defence. Given the context an d team selection it was a good result. Still don't think Lichaj and Hogg are anywhere near good enough.

Well considering the team we put out it was a good result. The football was very disjointed from both sides, but the ref really didn't help.

I think it's pretty hard to fully judge any of the youngsters on the back of this, really you need to see them in a full strength side to properly assess them, but certainly no one embarressed themselves tonight. I would expect to see a stronger side in the return leg though to ensure we go through.

Job done really.

disjointed performance, though i guess that was to be expected with the team we put out

most disappointed in the senior players. left hand side was pretty anonymous with downing and warnock doing nothing- i also didnt like both of these pulling out of tackles, neither looked that interested tonight. NRC looked slow and wasnt very good with the ball. heskey was ok. Davies and Beye struggled.

all the youngsters did some good things, but also some bad things. to be expected and good experience though.

Guzan made some excellent saves as he usually does. a few dodgy moments on crosses, but i think part of the problem is he never plays with a consistent defence. Big brad has played lots of games with the 1st choice defense, and thus they have all developed good communication. Brad knows dunne, collins or cuellar are gonna head it away whatever, they know he is going to stay on his line and shout away! as loud as possible. guzan has never had a settled defense infront if him, so theres always going to be communication issues.

good result, although i feel sorry for weimann. shameful by the vienna fans to spray him as he was stretchered off. ref was also appalling, rapid players would just throw themselves on the floor and get a free kick.

Reo-Coker was awful. His passing all over the place. That and his decision making with the ball messed up numerous attacks and put us in trouble at the back too.

To be fair, he was playing alongside Hogg, and it was hard work for him. He was far more box to box than even he would care to play.

I don't think any of that is an excuse for some of the situations he allowed himself to get in. Some players just have that ability to create space when they receive the ball. Reo-Coker has exactly the opposite ability. And he tried clever pass after clever pass which lead to nothing when a much more simple option was available.

Not that he was the worst player on the pitch. Just bad.

glad we got 1-1 with the team we put out...

i think Kev Mac got away with it a little....

Rapid didnt create many great chances but if they'd been a little sharper and not missing their goalscorer things could have been a lot worse...

hopefully Gabby/Carew, Dunne and one of Young/Petrov will play in the return

Albrighton - MOTM - although not that good, created all our openins though

Sorry? :lol:

Easy - he was MOTM as he was about a 6.5 out of 10.

He played the best of our players - but lets face it, that wasn't too difficult.

Saturday he was outstanding, tonight, he was the best of a bad bunch !

How can people moan at Heskey?

He played upfront by himself, held the ball up 8/10 with shit service, had barely anyone within 10 yards of him at any point, he did the best in tough conditions.

Talk about just having a dig at a player because of who he is.

True. Although I thought Bannan played really well I thought if he played closer to Heskey and gave him some support it would have been a lot more effective.

Â