Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I always thought Delph was a swashbuckling, dribbling and long range shooting midfielder at Leeds??? What happened to him??

That was in league 1 against the likes of Yeovil and Walsall

I saw him play a few times for Leeds on TV and always thought he looked a bit crap, so I really didn't get the excitement over his signing.

Most of you could and still can see something in him I can't, 'you must be blind' a prominent poster on here once told me. I really really hope he comes good, I never revel in negative predictions.

I always thought Delph was a swashbuckling, dribbling and long range shooting midfielder at Leeds??? What happened to him??

I saw him play a few times for Leeds on TV and always thought he looked a bit crap, so I really didn't get the excitement over his signing.

Most of you could and still can see something in him I can't, 'you must be blind' a prominent poster on here once told me. I really really hope he comes good, I never revel in negative predictions.

Im with you on that one, never understood what all the fuss was about when we signed him.

bannan won't make it at this football club imo

give the lad a chance ffs

he is almost 22 years old, he is not a kid anymore

Drogba was older than that before he started to do anything of note

Which counts for nothing. Kevin Phillips also very old when he started to score goals, well play football for that matter. However, counting a few exceptions holds no value to this at all. He is decent, will probably reach the level of Craig Gardner at best.. which is enough for mediocre PL teams and good Championship teams.

Im with you on that one, never understood what all the fuss was about when we signed him.

I fear the worst too.....hope he proves me wrong,would be highly delighted.

Would make a great LB in place of Warnock..

Im still trying to work out his strengths and what he brings to the table as a midfielder..

If you had seen him play against Utd in his first season in a three - with Stan holding and Milner attacking - when he ran the show before they went down to ten men you would, IMO, know what he brings to the table.

He is a playmaker and, to get the best out of him, IMO, he needs a sitting midfielder/enforcer/DCM alongside him and a link striker/ACM in front of him. Only when Eck plays this formation (if he could ever work it out), IMO, will we see the best of Delph.

For me, Bannan is the same type of player and would benefit from the same set up/formation.

Im still trying to work out his strengths and what he brings to the table as a midfielder..

what strengths have you worked out that makes him a great lb

He has a great left foot, great pace, he can track back or fly forward and offer the over lap..Its a position he can make his own unlike in the midfield. He is also less likely to be closed down, so he would get more time on the ball..He could also be very effective defensively against trickery and the smaller faster opponents on the wings..Yet in midfield he is up against players like Fellaini and co' and more often than not, just gets eaten up, or left too quiet in the background.

I would like to see more of him at Left back, with him bringing the ball forward in his own little space with plenty of confidence, then have a wide player like N'Zogbia (who can also do a good job at LB) ahead of him has his partner in crime, or side kick.It could be great left side for the team both defensively and in attack.

If you had seen him play against Utd in his first season in a three - with Stan holding and Milner attacking - when he ran the show before they went down to ten men you would, IMO, know what he brings to the table.

He is a playmaker and, to get the best out of him, IMO, he needs a sitting midfielder/enforcer/DCM alongside him and a link striker/ACM in front of him. Only when Eck plays this formation (if he could ever work it out), IMO, will we see the best of Delph.

For me, Bannan is the same type of player and would benefit from the same set up/formation.

Well Eck has been playing this formation to an extent...I mean Stan is still in there as the holding player and Heskey is in the more advanced role, which Milner would have played in.

Well Eck has been playing this formation to an extent...I mean Stan is still in there as the holding player and Heskey is in the more advanced role, which Milner would have played in.

Heskey is no Milner and is not, IMO, an ACM.

You probably know that I would replace Stan given a chance but he has not been playing this way from what I have seen. Eck is giving Stan licence to get forward and asking Delph to pick up more of the defensive role. This, IMO, is effecting his game - hence much of the negative comment he received after Saturday's game.

I don't agree about having too have a three to see the best but by playing him as a more defensive player, we are neglecting plenty of attributes within his game.

Perhaps McLeish is trying to build him in other parts of his games like Gabby on the right. (although different situations)

When I watched Delph when he first came and since then, I've always been impressed with his ability on the ball, not his defensive work. Athletic midfielder who could carry the ball distances, has a few little tricks, can go past players, can pass a ball. We seem to be limiting his game to the things he seemed a lower level at like his positioning and tackling, quite reckless. Even recieving the ball, he has always looked far more comfortable recieving the ball higher up the pitch than deeper as he doesn't protect that well. (which is where Petrov excels)

Little bit strange why he's been given such a negative role. I guess he must feel he wanted Petrov going further forward and felt Delph was best man for job defensively (although Jenas might move their soon enough)

He had 1 decent sub appearance at left back, then we started a game with him at left back and he was **** useless and got taken off.

Delph is not a left back in the slightest.

I like yourself cannot work out what he brings to the middle either, not alot is what I actually think.

You probably know that I would replace Stan given a chance but he has not been playing this way from what I have seen. Eck is giving Stan licence to get forward and asking Delph to pick up more of the defensive role. This, IMO, is effecting his game - hence much of the negative comment he received after Saturday's game.

In the same way it has effected Stan's game when he had the defensive role? I have to admit, Stan is no Pirlo, but damn he is a good player!

Â