Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I still maintain he needs to provide a little more offensive quality to his game. His dribbles are great but rarely come to anything and you still never really expect him to produce any sort of killer pass. Getting himself into more goalscoring positions would be nice too. If he could improve in these aspects then he really would be the complete midfielder.

If his dribbles were higher up the pitch they may come to more. He works so hard and covers so much ground we are not getting the most out of his skills. 

I still maintain he needs to provide a little more offensive quality to his game. His dribbles are great but rarely come to anything and you still never really expect him to produce any sort of killer pass. Getting himself into more goalscoring positions would be nice too. If he could improve in these aspects then he really would be the complete midfielder.

As it's a team game that might happen when his midfield partners rediscover their form; Westwood in particular. We can't look at Delph's game without taking into account those around him. For example, thanks to Vlaar, Delph was one of our best centre backs against Spurs.

It was the same last season when he played with what would be considered an in-form Westwood and Sylla.

As it's a team game that might happen when his midfield partners rediscover their form; Westwood in particular. We can't look at Delph's game without taking into account those around him. For example, thanks to Vlaar, Delph was one of our best centre backs against Spurs.

It was the same last season when he played with what would be considered an in-form Westwood and Sylla.

Yeah sorry I wasn't actually disagreeing with you. I too would like to see him going forward more. I'm just saying that this season because of the others' seeming regression, he is having to do more of the defensive side of the game. He did shows glimpses at the tail end of last season and the start of this that he was beginning to get into better positions.
  • Like 1

@Papillon

That's the thing, I don't even think he's good enough for us, let alone England.

People seem to be distracted by the fact that he beats a player in a dribble once or twice a half, but honestly he's a charlatan.

His decision making is terrible. He runs with the ball when there are strikers in space and when he finally decides to play it forward its often to the opposition.

I'd rather we gave Bacuna or Tonev a longer run in the midfield to see if they can improve instead of sticking with someone who is essentially at Championship player playing at his limited potential already.

• Like 1

I did have to laugh at his yellow card against Spurs. It was a beauty. It's like he picked it up just to tick that box. Like he said "**** it's the 89th minute, better get that card ... whack". Job done.

• Like 4

I did have to laugh at his yellow card against Spurs. It was a beauty. It's like he picked it up just to tick that box. Like he said "**** it's the 89th minute, better get that card ... whack". Job done.

Thought that was unecessary and stupid.

Takes him very close to a suspension. Not smart.

Thought that was unecessary and stupid.

Takes him very close to a suspension. Not smart.

Oh I agree. I just had to laugh when he did it though :)

@Papillon

That's the thing, I don't even think he's good enough for us, let alone England.

People seem to be distracted by the fact that he beats a player in a dribble once or twice a half, but honestly he's a charlatan.

His decision making is terrible. He runs with the ball when there are strikers in space and when he finally decides to play it forward its often to the opposition.

I'd rather we gave Bacuna or Tonev a longer run in the midfield to see if they can improve instead of sticking with someone who is essentially at Championship player playing at his limited potential already.

A tad harsh eh?! You can't seriously think any of the other CMs are better then him? He is quite clearly our best CM and that automatically makes him good enough for us.

@Papillon

Wow, one of us is in desperate need of glasses.

• Like 1

@Papillon

Although i asked in the game thread that why people keep on voting him as our MOTM, and am also baffled with his popularity, I think you're taking it somewhat too far mate.

• Like 1

Our best player this season by far and people are questioning him?

You lads wanna stick to the Tonev/Westwood/El Ahmadi/Weimann threads.

Delphs been brilliant for us this season,

Yes he has been our best player by a mile.

Delph is essentially the same 'footballing' age as Tonev/Bacuna because of his horrendous injuries. You can't say that Tonev and Bacuna can still improve yet make a huge sweeping statement that Delph has peaked with his potential. He is clearly getting better each week and other professional footballers are even coming out and saying how good he is. 

I guess I'm just not impressed by a few pointless cruyff turns in the centre circle.

IMO a midfielder should either bring:

a) creativity

b passing & movement

c) tackling (makelele style)

or if you're zidane, then all 3.

IMO he succeeds in none of them.

a) his forward balls always try to thread a non-existent needle and end up going to the opposition... how many assists or goals scored does he have this year? according to Opta... 0 on both counts

b his excessive dribbling gives the opposition time to adjust their shape, or he cruyff turns, draws a foul, they get back in position, and we lose any advantage we have playing our "counter-attacking" style

c) he is liable to trying to snap someone's leg off which is just stupidity from a professional footballer on 30k a week.

Edited by mwj

I answered that already mate.

Because when you play "counter-attacking" football, you're trying to take advantage of the opposition being out of position. Holding onto the ball and/or drawing a foul gives them time to re-organise.

I'm more pleased by his potential than what he is actually bringing to the team at the moment - he's becoming isolated and giving the ball away more than he is drawing fouls.

Saying that, I don't feel like he's that far away from being as good as people want to say he is already though. Just needs to link to the strikers and his fellow midfielders a bit more and maybe chip in a few goals.

Edited by LordSepulchrave

Everyone keeps replyinh that he's our best player... but what exactly is he bringing to the team?

Can't pass, can't shoot, he tackles well but picks up bookings like its going out of fashion, and then loses the ball anyway.

What is it that you're all seeing?

Â