Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, there's British seaside, and there's British seaside. If you mean Blackpool and its ilk, I'd agree, but there are some fantastic bits of coast around Britain (and Ireland). 

What are some of your favourites Mike? I always think the East Yorks coast looks lovely.

Edited by Xela

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If we had the weather all summer round there would be no need to go abroad because there are some nice places. Saying that though it's good to travel.

I go abroad to get away from Brits! ;) 

Travel does broaden the mind as is a great experience. Like a lot of others I have spent fortunes on seeing the world but wouldn't change a thing. If anything I wish I had seen more at a younger age. 

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

I go abroad to get away from Brits! ;) 

Travel does broaden the mind as is a great experience. Like a lot of others I have spent fortunes on seeing the world but wouldn't change a thing. If anything I wish I had seen more at a younger age. 

And me. Even if we had great summers I'd still go abroad but maybe not as much because I wouldn't need too. Blackpool is a shit hole mind.

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

What are some of your favourites Mike? I always think the East Yorks coast looks lovely.

E. Yorks is a bit hit and miss. Bridlington is pretty dire, Scarborough not so bad. I prefer to go up to Whitby and beyond, where it starts to get a bit more rugged. Northumberland (Alnmouth, Lindisfarne, etc.), up to and beyond the Scottish border is fantastic. I'm also a big fan of west and north Wales, bits of the Cumbrian coast, and the South West Coastal Path (Devon and Cornwall). I don't know Scotland and Ireland as well as I should. 

• Like 3

A nice quarterly share dividend payment today... just under $600. 

That'll go towards the new TV i'm contemplating. 

On the subject of money I done my tax return last night. £2400 which will go towards a new family car as the one we have won't be big enough with the extra child. Gone are the days it went up the wall and up my nose. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

E. Yorks is a bit hit and miss. Bridlington is pretty dire, Scarborough not so bad. I prefer to go up to Whitby and beyond, where it starts to get a bit more rugged. Northumberland (Alnmouth, Lindisfarne, etc.), up to and beyond the Scottish border is fantastic. I'm also a big fan of west and north Wales, bits of the Cumbrian coast, and the South West Coastal Path (Devon and Cornwall). I don't know Scotland and Ireland as well as I should. 

Yep, another vote for the Northumbrian coast here. Holy Island, Seahouses, and Amble by the Sea are wonderful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, there's British seaside, and there's British seaside. If you mean Blackpool and its ilk, I'd agree, but there are some fantastic bits of coast around Britain (and Ireland). 

Indeed, my next stop in our tour of Britain is Whitby in May.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If we had the weather all summer round there would be no need to go abroad because there are some nice places. Saying that though it's good to travel.

Been saying this for years. I would much rather mooch around Cornwall than Corfu. It's only the guarantee of weather that sends so many abroad. 

But then it is a good way for British masses to experience foreign culture albeit usually in a very sterilised touristy way. 

Also if our own country was constantly bathed in sunshine it wouldn't be the beautiful green and pleasant land that we know. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Been saying this for years. I would much rather mooch around Cornwall than Corfu. It's only the guarantee of weather that sends so many abroad. 

But then it is a good way for British masses to experience foreign culture albeit usually in a very sterilised touristy way. 

Also if our own country was constantly bathed in sunshine it wouldn't be the beautiful green and pleasant land that we know. 

If it wasn't for our shit weather then I wouldn't of experienced the culture of Tenerife and shagged my first ever prostitute at the age of 19. So yeah it's not all bad I suppose. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Must admit I find it baffling that a lot of people going off back packing  stay at a hostel full of the fellow country men and women whilst going to the same places a guide book told them they "must see before they die "

true I've been to a few of those places as well,  let's face it you aren't going to go to Peru and not see Manchu Picchu but if you do it right you can mostly avoid them ... something great about being the only western face on a train , sharing sweets and pigeon English with people ... rather than listening to a bloke with a pony tail playing Oasis on his guitar 

• Like 2

Â