Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

Solid game but still gives away far too many pointless free kicks, why the f*ck did he handle the ball towards the end of the game it's not as if he was on the line, I was furious with him for that.

He would have been out of position with at least 4 west ham attackers on at most 3 defenders with west ham definitely receiving the ball if it had got past him. Admittedly it would have been Carlton Cole on the ball so he'd have probably **** it up but Clark couldn't take that chance. Good free kick to give away and motm today in my book.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid game but still gives away far too many pointless free kicks, why the f*ck did he handle the ball towards the end of the game it's not as if he was on the line, I was furious with him for that.

He would have been out of position with at least 4 west ham attackers on at most 3 defenders with west ham definitely receiving the ball if it had got past him. Admittedly it would have been Carlton Cole on the ball so he'd have probably **** it up but Clark couldn't take that chance. Good free kick to give away and motm today in my book.

Hmmm i didnt notice any immediate danger when he done it, i'll have to watch the highlights to see if it was justified.

Hmmm i didnt notice any immediate danger when he done it, i'll have to watch the highlights to see if it was justified.

Yup took that booking for the team, West Am would have been in with a few players spare.

I don't think he was too different from the Everton game. He just didn't make the mistake of trying to dry hump the other striker.

the most irritating thing about that was had he actually just stepped up ahead of him, anichebe wouldve been miles offside

In my humble opinion, developing your game as a young centre back is the hardest transition into first team football. A young winger or striker can revel in being an unknown and therefore unpredictable quantity (Albrighton, anyone?). However, a centre back has every mistake extensively scrutinised and often punished.

I remember Clark getting absolutely mauled by Andy Carroll, a couple of seasons ago, when they spanked us 6-1. In my infinite wisdom I decided that the lad did not have the physique, nor the footballing intelligence, to play centre back at this level. I was wrong, of course. He has the ability, he just needs to find consistency. And I imagine having the captaincy thrust upon his young shoulders in this unremitting season of shite hasn't really helped.

Edited by Cizzler

I've no doubt Clarke will be a top defender one day but he really has been thrown in at the deep end this season. Fair play to lad for the way he kept going.

I still think Baker is a better defender and can be the next Cahill.

I've no doubt Clarke will be a top defender one day but he really has been thrown in at the deep end this season. Fair play to lad for the way he kept going.

Best performance by both of them this season!! Vlaar was the one that looked shaky!! Lowton looked happier as well.

Baker the next Cahill?? I assume you mean our ex-player Gary? Clark and Baker are better defenders than him already! Don't rate Cahill any higher than Ridgewell, both shaky when defending. Cahill is very over-rated on here!

Baker changed our defence. Clark and Vlaar didnt have to worry about covering up for Bennett. So they were able to focus on their own game.With the added height.. they were not overly stressed. We have found our back four till the end of the season barring injuries.

• Like 1

Best performance by both of them this season!! Vlaar was the one that looked shaky!! Lowton looked happier as well.

Baker the next Cahill?? I assume you mean our ex-player Gary? Clark and Baker are better defenders than him already! Don't rate Cahill any higher than Ridgewell, both shaky when defending. Cahill is very over-rated on here!

Come on mate Cahill is class. You don't become a England international and a Chelsea player if your at the same level as Liam ridgewell who let me add is still better than any left back in our squad.

Baker changed our defence. Clark and Vlaar didnt have to worry about covering up for Bennett. So they were able to focus on their own game.With the added height.. they were not overly stressed. We have found our back four till the end of the season barring injuries.

We found it second half of Newcastle game. Why did it have to change against Everton? Would it have made a difference? I guess we'll never know.

This is not the Baker thread.

In some games Baker would be preferable at LB but he will get roasted by the quick Odemwingies out there and will probably tear a calf in the process, so is not a permanent solution.

Clark has played reasonably well all season. I've mentioned pages back - prior to the Everton game - how most of the goals recently conceded have had nothing to do with his play.

Our defensive problems are associated with 3 CBs. This makes us weak on the wings and over-all very stretched because wingbacks Lowton and Bennett never get back to defend our penalty box.

This is not the Baker thread.

In some games Baker would be preferable at LB but he will get roasted by the quick Odemwingies out there and will probably tear a calf in the process, so is not a permanent solution.

Clark has played reasonably well all season. I've mentioned pages back - prior to the Everton game - how most of the goals recently conceded have had nothing to do with his play.

Our defensive problems are associated with 3 CBs. This makes us weak on the wings and over-all very stretched because wingbacks Lowton and Bennett never get back to defend our penalty box.

No its not. But baker at left back is worth noting for Clarks improved performances. Go get some heat maps you will see too.
  • Like 1

Â