Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Defensive minded GH who helped oversee France's National side, and 'know it all' scouse prick PT...

Who are these experts that the Villa heirachy have been talking to to in order to get the best possible team to move us forward??

Its laughable!

Is this the French national side that won the World Cup and he was a technical director for?

Would you not take any defensive minded coach?

Someone being a "know it all scouse prick" is not enough reason to not hire him.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 58-year-old O'Neill, who led Villa to their third successive sixth-placed finish in the Premier League last season, added: "I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager.

"I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties.".

surely that's why it's taken us so long? :(

The 58-year-old O'Neill, who led Villa to their third successive sixth-placed finish in the Premier League last season, added: "I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager.

"I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties.".

surely that's why it's taken us so long? :(

No mention of the board..

If the poll on another Villa Forum is anything to go by Houllier could start off with a supporter approval rating of less than 50%.

A bad start and this could turn ugly very quickly. There will be no honeymoon period.

Heres hoping we get off to a flyer or his reign will be very short lived.

Mark were you not one of MON's avid supporters regardless of what he did saying lets see what happens and trusted him no end etc etc?

Now i think Houllier is meh and Thompson is a blumin plonker.

But surely there is no point kicking off until we are bottom half of the table come May?

Jez I'm actually not disappointed we have got Houllier. The appointment doesn't excite me but I'm OK with it.

As for Thomson I can't stand him and the fact he has on a number of occasions belittled the club I love. Having said that as long as he throws himself into the job and shows half the passion for us as he as for Liverpool and his nose doesn't block my view of the pitch then I'll accept him.

I hope we do well under Houllier push on from where the previous manager left us and make that last step into the top four and actually win something.

I do however fear that the new manager will be shown little grace and if things don't start well or we hit a sticky patch early in his tenure things could get very uncomfortable and turn ugly very quickly.

A good start is vital for Houllier in my opinion and who knows where this season can go if we can gain a bit of positive momentum.

I just think if we'd got Moyes we'd all be ecstatic...and even if we lost the 1st 3 games - we'd give him a fighting chance & our full support.

However I'm absolutely certain EVEN if we won 2 out of the next 3 games and lose one of them we'll all be baying for blood

bigtime after the first defeat.

That's the problem...it's all about perceptions and not necessariy results.

Houllier & Phil Thompson will both be walking away from the comfort of employment elsewhere in the game to take up the

reins at Villa Park. At least they've had the guts to do this and put their necks on the line to try & take us forward.

I'm not overwhelmed but I do admire people who are prepared to take up a challenge & hopefully prove us all totally wrong!

We all need to chill & see what happens...

Nice post Jules.

I fear that your right that Houllier won't get the luxury of a honeymoon period.

I hope we are both wrong though. As much as he is nowhere near my first choice If he does indeed become manager of the club I love I'll give him a fair crack at it.

Coming in when the season as already started and the transfer window is shut is never going to be easy and the last thing we as supporters need to do is make it any tougher.

It's hard to shake the notion that he (Stan) had wanted out since around 94/95 though, was desperate to get back to the Redscouse and only returned to us when he was a busted flush

Sigh, Do I have to repeat what I wrote a few pages back about Staunton ringing Ron Toss live on air to say that he wanted to stay at Villa but Doug **** him about to the poiunt where plop offered him the deal he wanted which he agreed to, only for Doug to then offer MORE money than either Dougs original offer OR plops offer, to which Stan said that he had made an agreement with plop and it was unprofessional to go back on it.

He said that he was settled in the Midlands, that his family was settled, but that Doug messed him around so much over a new contract. I heard this with my own ears!

No chap, you don't. But you did anyway.

Truth be told I don't care what kind of spin Stan tried to put on it when -or after- he left. His leaving was on the cards since at least 94 -and possibly further back. We thought we had lost him in the summer of 94 and a number of senior Villa players even commented on it at the time. He played us off against the Redscouse a fair few times to get an improved offer and according to JG's book had made his mind up before JG had returned in Feb 98. He even said he was specifically off to join the Redscouse to win things - no mention of broken promises. Had he agreed the deal we had offered him at the time he would have been the highest paid player at the club -unusual for a defender- so I'm not sure how much finance came into it.

He was one of the very first high profile Bosman's, exploiting the system to make it work for him. So attempts to paint him as some loyal club servant only leaving when the club let him down won't wash I'm afraid.

I don't actually blame him for leaving truth be told. Not due to lack of ambition or anything like that on our part, we had a pretty decent squad at the time. Rather the pull of returning to his boyhood club proved too much in the end. He had started there as a youth, and his mother is originally from Merseyside IIRC.

My point was that there is probably a perception out there that he is a popular ex Villa player. That doesn't tally with the reality. You rarely hear Villa fans talking about Stan as a 'Villa legend' (chronically overused term) for example. Which is unusual bearing in mind the longevity he had with us in two stints.

I do not deny that he wasn't the most popular bloke to have left this club. I am just getting the point across that it took balls to ring up a radio station to state ones side of things. As for his 'villa legend' status. Come on, please! THere are very FEW who get that label thrown at them. Stan Staunton must surely know he isn't in that bracket! I am not a Staunton fan per se. I just think that alot of fans dislike are based on biased publicity put out there by a PR machine when the guy himself took the risk (and I use that word as by doing so opened himself up to the sort of ridicule the general now has as he has no one to hide behind if the truth isn't what he put/said) to come out ans speak live on air.

And what reality is it you speak of? That he should be loyal to Liverpool as he started there and his family is from there? Pffft my oldest brother is very derogatory towards Birmingham and our accent, city, ways. And he is from here!?! It means **** all!

And as for JGs book and John Gregory in general. Without wanting to piss on anyone's chips, theres a fair few dodgy thing's I have heard about the man that make me question him, and also tick boxes as to why he hasnt succeeded in football since Villa. And I say that having loved the guy at our club to the point of writing a letter to Doug when he got the sack/left. So I wouldn;t take too much of what he wrote as gospel.

Come on...only ten pages til we hit 600 :-)

You do realise we will deliberately push this to at least 601 just to be pedantic don't you Sir Oliver of Reed! :winkold:

Oh I do hope so ;-)

Come on...only ten pages til we hit 600 :-)

You do realise we will deliberately push this to at least 601 just to be pedantic don't you Sir Oliver of Reed! :winkold:

Oh I do hope so ;-)

hahaha I am raising a glass of scotch to you right now m'lord! :D

As for his 'villa legend' status. Come on, please! THere are very FEW who get that label thrown at them. Stan Staunton must surely know he isn't in that bracket!

The likes of Mellberg, Merson and even Laursen have had that kind of tag applied to them in recent years -incorrectly in my book, as only a very few elite players fit that criteria- but it has been said all the same. Stan was part of Villa teams that competed for the title and bagged two league cups and yet the reaction his name generates amongst a fair few Villa fans is casual indifference at best.

And what reality is it you speak of? That he should be loyal to Liverpool as he started there and his family is from there?

No. This one:

I do not deny that he wasn't the most popular bloke to have left this club.

Hope this helps.

Pffft my oldest brother is very derogatory towards Birmingham and our accent, city, ways. And he is from here!?! It means **** all!

I must confess the relevance of the above is not jumping out at me. In the context of Staunton leaving or this thread, this doesn't make a lick of sense. I don't recall Stan mentioning anything about the accent, Birmingham as a city or any other bobbins -indeed someone who is maybe sensitive to regional accents would probably choose Liverpool as the last place on earth to move to. But thanks for the rare insight into your family life, I think.

I just think if we'd got Moyes we'd all be ecstatic...and even if we lost the 1st 3 games - we'd give him a fighting chance & our full support.

However I'm absolutely certain EVEN if we won 2 out of the next 3 games and lose one of them we'll all be baying for blood

bigtime after the first defeat.

That's the problem...it's all about perceptions and not necessariy results.

Houllier & Phil Thompson will both be walking away from the comfort of employment elsewhere in the game to take up the

reins at Villa Park. At least they've had the guts to do this and put their necks on the line to try & take us forward.

I'm not overwhelmed but I do admire people who are prepared to take up a challenge & hopefully prove us all totally wrong!

We all need to chill & see what happens...

I stopped reading this thread about 150 pages ago as I think it's all pretty much been said, but one last go for old times sake and to get the thread to 600 pages! Anyway, this is exactly how I feel.

There was no one out there to obviously take us forward, so I've resigned myself to fully backing the next man whoever he is, at least for the first couple of months. As long as the guy had some previous success - that was all we could ask for. Houllier has had some success. I don't like it, but he has a better CV than most available managers. This isn't Bob Bradley.

There will be bad defeats at times - there would be under any manager. The key is keeping a cool head even if it wasn't the manager you wanted. If we're bottom half of the table after January I'll be pissed off.

Remember, if it doesn't work out we can do this all again next year and maybe there'll be a real manager available / maybe we'll have time to look for one before they're all snapped up. It's not pleasant, but that's what happens when your gaffer walks out 5 days before the start of a season - shit gets **** up.

Lets face it. We win, for arguements sake, the next 5 games and we are top of the league, GH and Thommo will be hero's. We lose the next 5 the moaners will say 'i told you so'. In the eyes of the many detractors against this appointment GH Will never win. I'm Aston Villa, i dont care if they put zippy, george and bungle in charge as long as their interest is in winning football matches and winning this

club a trophy or two.