Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

GH is one of the top Managers on the list of realistically "available" so he makes sense, lots of experience in the Prem and abroad... Whoever comes in will get my full support, backing and i will unlike many other i suspect from the comments reserve judgment until at least after xmas, things take time to settle.

UTV

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am surprised by some of the more extreme anti Houllier feelings by some on this site, given both the timing and the availability of quality managers out there. Like many, I had "hoped" for Moyes or Jol and dreaded the idea of Bradley or Curbishley. Remember last week after MOTD2 when some were genuinely fearful it was going to be Phil Brown??!!

Having reflected on the likely outcome of Houllier, with or without Thompson who I don't feel strongly about either way, I honestly think it's as good an outcome as we could have expected. Despite the fan popularity of Jol or Moyes, let's remember that it is Houllier that has won trophies in England.

Whether we get an experienced, inexperienced, successful or trophy-less manager, there is no guarantee how it will work out at Villa. I remember being underwhelmed when we appointed Gregory, but he turned out ok for us, even though he was a disaster after he left. Remember when Ramos was appointed for Spurs on the back of a fantastic Spanish track record? He was poor for them.

My point is that none of us know how this will pan out, so the least we can and should do is to get right behind the whole team from board to management to players.

Bllody hell what are you like , If the board appoint GH and PT well thats good enough for me , Just think we could have had bradley , sven , brown .......I think the club have done well to get GH considering the options they have had. Just sort it out now villa appoint them , and lets get on with the season , all the negatives will be over, we are 4th , granted only 3 games in , but we could be 20th mangerless and bradley coming in !

Up the Villa

Am surprised by some of the more extreme anti Houllier feelings by some on this site, given both the timing and the availability of quality managers out there. Like many, I had "hoped" for Moyes or Jol and dreaded the idea of Bradley or Curbishley. Remember last week after MOTD2 when some were genuinely fearful it was going to be Phil Brown??!!

Having reflected on the likely outcome of Houllier, with or without Thompson who I don't feel strongly about either way, I honestly think it's as good an outcome as we could have expected. Despite the fan popularity of Jol or Moyes, let's remember that it is Houllier that has won trophies in England.

Whether we get an experienced, inexperienced, successful or trophy-less manager, there is no guarantee how it will work out at Villa. I remember being underwhelmed when we appointed Gregory, but he turned out ok for us, even though he was a disaster after he left. Remember when Ramos was appointed for Spurs on the back of a fantastic Spanish track record? He was poor for them.

My point is that none of us know how this will pan out, so the least we can and should do is to get right behind the whole team from board to management to players.

Precisely! GH with or without Beaky is a proven manager and has a proven track record in England, better than just the 'Premier League Experience' the club sought. Rather than rubbishing him before he has even started I think we should get behind him.

Just a thought......

No matter who was/will be appointed, there will always be a percentage of fans that would not be happy. Randy is doing what he thinks is best for the club, he is not here to make every fan happy.

Houllier is a very good appointment, the best of an average bunch who were available.

No matter who was/will be appointed, there will always be a percentage of fans that would not be happy. Randy is doing what he thinks is best for the club, he is not here to make every fan happy.

Houllier is a very good appointment, the best of an average bunch who were available.

Very true Wiggy

Agreed at times I read this site it depresses the life out of me the negativity and RL must be sometimes wondering if it's worth the grief .

Agreed at times I read this site it depresses the life out of me the negativity and RL must be sometimes wondering if it's worth the grief .

My advice to RL would simply be not to read these internet sites then. :winkold: :P

The man or woman who invented the the digital message board did the world one of the greatest disservices in the history of mankind. He gave the everyday moron an outlet.

The man or woman who invented the the digital message board did the world one of the greatest disservices in the history of mankind. He gave the everyday moron an outlet.

:lol: Yep, they sure did!

I think some people are getting a bit carried away with the idea that Randy Lerner is going to be upset by the expression of robust, partial, and often passionate and inconsistent views expressed by the fans of the clubs he owns.

If you do a search for "Randy Lerner" on the Youtube site, you will find more than one clips where Cleveland Browns fans have gone to the trouble to write and record songs expressing the basic sentiment of "you have ruined our team, Randy Lerner, why don't you just sod off?" I imagine, by comparison, dealing with Villa fans is a bit of a picnic.

Sport's a business where you make money out of the passion of fans, so it's a bit rich then to wring your hands when you find the fans are passionate about something as important as who manages your club.

Back on topic, I'm relieved we didn't get Curbishley or Sven. Have never really been convinced by Houllier and, in particular, it will be interesting to see how he copes with managing down a wages bill, but he has a lot of experience with top clubs and we should give him a good welcome. Let's hope it helps settle everyone down after the turbulence of the past few weeks.

If it is GH I hope he only gets a contract until the end of May. Then we can asses how well he has done and if he should stay on or if we should go get Martin Jol or someone else.

... and if you were being offered the job with that track record would you see it as a vote of confidence in your appointment if your new boss was only prepared to give you a go for 9 months? I know what I'd do if someone did that to me.

I think offering GH a contract until the end of May would be a bit of an insult, unless GH has specifically requested that himself so that he can make sure his health is up to it. If you're going to appoint someone, just have confidence and do it. If they're that bad, sack them. But no half hearted gestures, please.

Isn't Martin Jol out of contract in a year or so? The appointment of houllier could well mean we will miss out on who we all really want as a year will pass and he'll have signed a new contract elsewhere :(

Anyways I will be chanting the name of whoever comes in, houllier included. I'll be gutted that we havn't got the man I really want in, but I'll push that thought to the back of my mind to give whoever a fair chance.