Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not overly excited about any of the names left in the frame following tonight's statement from the club. However, I am starting to warm to the idea of Sven being our new manager.

-He has premier league experience, but is yet to prove himself in the English club game.

-His managerial record speaks for itself.

-He has great contacts in the footballing world and is a respected figure who could attract bigger names.

-He would instantly gain the respect of the players.

-I think it could also be a big middle finger stuck up to O'Neill and the O'Neill-loving media if we were to appoint Sven, seeing as everyone expects us to sign some shit no-hoper. This would mean we're actually signing a manager who is a much bigger name and with a much better pedigree than Martin.

-Although I'm not too keen on his managerial style I think he has a cool head and thinks things through, which brings with it many benefits.

So overall, I think it could be quite a good move. Certainly better than the other remaining candidates in my opinion. My only worry is a big part of Villa's game is our work ethic and motivation - would we still have that same "never say die" philosophy under Sven? I wonder.

Randy was sat next to Keith Harris at the game. Now I think Harris has some major contacts within the game which suggests to me that whoever Villa go for Harris will be involved in the negotiations, whether they be with the managers current club or football association. Which in turn makes me think that it won't be the likes of Southgate, Brown etc. as surely Randy wouldn't need a major player in the world of agents and negotiations as Harris if he was approaching the Roy Keanes, Gareth Southgates or even the Gerard Houlliers of the world?

I think it'll be someone we'll be very pleasantly surprised over. Maybe a Hiddink?

My own low key favourites would be Gianfranco Zola and Steve Clarke. It would mean that we could keep Kevin Mac in the loop and gain a couple of exceptional coaches as well. Maybe we would also need to appoint someone like Frank Arneson as director of football administration.

I know that it appears that we need a strong manager at this moment in time, but it could also be argued that our biggest need is for a team of top quality coaches to work with the current Villa players as it looks like there will be no new players coming in.

Zola's agenda is to improve the skills of his players by good coaching on a day to day basis.

So overall, I think it could be quite a good move. Certainly better than the other remaining candidates in my opinion. My only worry is a big part of Villa's game is our work ethic and motivation - would we still have that same "never say die" philosophy under Sven? I wonder.

The man is clearly hungry for success in the premiership so who knows.

He will never be the apoplectic dugout type though.

Houlier has shortened from nowhere to 8-1 on betfair!

Bob Bradley out to 10-1 which is good to see.

None of the candidates are outstanding but would not mind seeing one of Sven, Dave Jones or Querioz.

I think there will be a negative reaction on here whoever they appoint.

Maybe a Hiddink?

Already contracted to Turkey, has been for a while to take over in September, he didn't hang around when Chelsea came knocking, he certainly won't do so for us. I doubt you will ever see him manage long term full time in the UK to be honest.

The thought of Sven in charge makes me retch a little.

I think after the statements from both the general and the CEO in the past 24 hrs, we can disregard certain Managers that have been mentioned. They are looking for a similar manager to O'Neill, who plays both a similar type of football, and makes the team hard to beat. Lerner, obviously wants to keep the same squad, and doesnt want a mass exodus for the new Managers type of play. But also has a history in bringing through the next generation. My market is:

Curbishley 7/4

Moyes 3/1

Sven 5/1

Hughes 8/1

Jol 10/1

I don't mean Hiddink as such, just saying that with a man renowned as a football Mr Fixit in Harris then it seems we're looking at someone that we, as a supporters, think we've no chance of getting. Did anyone think that we'd get MON at the time? And wasn't Harris instrumental in getting Randy? And I'd say MON too?

So I think that we will be very nicely surprised by who we get in. And the 2 weeks break is perfect for a number of reasons. IF it is a man currently working for a federation then it allows him to contractually abide by the next 2 internationals and if it is a man currently at a club (and I believe it's one of these 2 options otherwise why involve Harris?) then he has a break to allow us to deal with the other club properly AND allow them a period to search for a replacement.

I don't mean Hiddink as such, just saying that with a man renowned as a football Mr Fixit in Harris then it seems we're looking at someone that we, as a supporters, think we've no chance of getting. Did anyone think that we'd get MON at the time? And wasn't Harris instrumental in getting Randy? And I'd say MON too?

So I think that we will be very nicely surprised by who we get in. And the 2 weeks break is perfect for a number of reasons. IF it is a man currently working for a federation then it allows him to contractually abide by the next 2 internationals and if it is a man currently at a club (and I believe it's one of these 2 options otherwise why involve Harris?) then he has a break to allow us to deal with the other club properly AND allow them a period to search for a replacement.

You raise a good point. What's to say we can't get someone like Hitzfeld in?

What if we had to wait for the new man to come in?

Say till christmas if we are really after that top man it might take a bit longer for him to come in.

Maybe km till christmas and then the new man coming in just a thought not that will happen.

What if we had to wait for the new man to come in?

Say till christmas if we are really after that top man it might take a bit longer for him to come in.

Maybe km till christmas and then the new man coming in just a thought not that will happen.

The problem with that is that we are currently missing five senior coaches. Four months is too long for our temporary coaching arrangements to survive without cracking up under the strain imo.

if the statement is correct then surely that rules out KMac, or is 3 games considered enough experience, i think he should be applauded for stepping in when MoN left us up shit creep without a paddle and i hope he continues his great work with the youth and the reserves.

im also hoping that all this delay means were going to go big on the new manager, otherwise there's no need for it to take this long in my eye's