Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not mean now or in January, but next summer also a top manager willw ant some funds to buy players.

If we have had a decent season with what a new manager then I agree and would not see a reason to replace much of the squad either the new manager would just need to add to it to keep us moving forwards.

get curbishly then if the best tehy can get is kmac. curbs would be decent to keep us in top 8 at least. under mac we would just be a midtable to lower table, perhaps worse

mac isnt big enough. and if teh general thinks season ticket sales are low now wait until mac gets it. fans will leave in their thousands

I don't put too much store on the article as its in the Evening Mail which is about as pro Villa and accurate as James Nursey in the Mirror.

Having said all that I can't see the club splashing out for a top flight manager and I suspect that puts KM in pole position against more average candidates. I will suspend my judgement until after the Everton game but despite having the trust and confidence of the players the Newcastle game suggested to me, at least, that he is out of his depth as an PL manager.

A few posters are suggesting that the appointment of a big name manager could undo what has been achieved in the past four years. Sadly I think that is already happening. The manner in which we lost MON, regardless of what you think of him, coupled with the total mismanagement of his departure and the whole wages and transfer fee issues have all contributed. Sadly my take on RL is that he's not such a great owner as we all thought. The best you can say is that he has appointed the wrong people to run the club. Is it just me who thinks that Faulkner is clueless?

There was equally as much hope and speculation after little left, boy were we disappointed. Can't help but think this one's going the same way.

Then again, we have Lerner now instead of Ellis and let's hope the man realises how important it is to put someone in place with knowledge of the game beyond our shores, someone who can grow into the role but also experienced.

No temporary solutions, and if it takes weeks or months to appoint the right man then so be it.

Here's to hoping.

I don't put too much store on the article as its in the Evening Mail which is about as pro Villa and accurate as James Nursey in the Mirror.

Having said all that I can't see the club splashing out for a top flight manager and I suspect that puts KM in pole position against more average candidates. I will suspend my judgement until after the Everton game but despite having the trust and confidence of the players the Newcastle game suggested to me, at least, that he is out of his depth as an PL manager.

A few posters are suggesting that the appointment of a big name manager could undo what has been achieved in the past four years. Sadly I think that is already happening. The manner in which we lost MON, regardless of what you think of him, coupled with the total mismanagement of his departure and the whole wages and transfer fee issues have all contributed. Sadly my take on RL is that he's not such a great owner as we all thought. The best you can say is that he has appointed the wrong people to run the club. Is it just me who thinks that Faulkner is clueless?

Yes I think it is!

No one could imagine O'Neill was going to go 5 day before the new season. That is why they called it a massive surprise.

RL never changed the goalposts for MON. If anything MON decided he couldn't work within that remit. Not the club or the board's fault imho.

The chaos is being caused by fans, no one else. O'Neills timing was awful and showed how much he actually loved the club.

We'll get a manager in within the next week or so and we will be fine.

It makes absolute logical sense not to bring in an A lister who will tear up the squad and start from scratch again. We're 4 years into a rebuild, we've already established ourself as the 6th best side. The last thing we need is to dismantle and start again setting us back years. We need to continue and progress with whats already been built

Do you not worry though that if we appoint someone with as limited experience as Macdonald, or a 'b-lister' of that nature, we will no longer be the 6th best team? What sort of message do you think appointing a manager like Macdonald would send to the more ambitious members of our team?

If we appoint a second rate manager as boss for the season then I am willing to bet a hefty stake that we will not finish as high as sixth, infact i'd bet that finishing in the top 10 would be quite an achievement. And if we finish as low as I suspect we would then obviously our better players will want to leave for clubs that can match their ambitions.

We cannot afford to appoint a second rate manager under the guise of 'stability'. Attendances will drop, our best players will leave, club income will fall and most importantly our place within the league will be be lower. More importantly for Randy his investments value will drop.

We need the very best boss that we can possibly get even if this means treading on a few toes to get him and having to pay out a sizeable sum to prize him away from his current employers. Managers that are currently out of work are out of work because they have failed.

If we take three weeks to appoint Kevin Macdonald or any out of work manager then that will certainly tell us where our ambitions lie - clearly not the top 6!

If we take three weeks to appoint Kevin Macdonald or any out of work manager then that will certainly tell us where our ambitions lie - clearly not the top 6!

I have to agree, rushing in would be unwise, but 3 weeks down the line, the window closed and KMac in charge...unhappy fan!

But if there is no manager available who would both be interested in the job and take us forward, then a stopgap manager will be just that. Yet who in their right mind would take on a job until a suitable candidate became available. Curbishley would demand a 3 year contract, so it would cost a fortune to get rid. We are between a rock and a hard place. Personally I blame MoN for this chaos. He should have manned up end of last season and left.

Funny that now the "panic appointment" phrase is being used when originally we were being told to expect an appointment before the Newcastle game

Can you find me the quotes where the club said, 'we will defiantly have a manager in for the Newcastle game'

Thanks.

I really feel sorry for km.

He likes to coach and i think thats what he wants to do.

I just hope that if km does get the job fans dont turn on him and blame him for things if they go wrong because it wont be km fault.

Funny that now the "panic appointment" phrase is being used when originally we were being told to expect an appointment before the Newcastle game

Can you find me the quotes where the club said, 'we will defiantly have a manager in for the Newcastle game'

Thanks.

I doubt Richard can do that as I don't remember the club saying it....

...However, if they take 3 weeks plus to appoint a man that they could have appointed at any point during that time then you have to wonder if the board were just waiting to get beyond the 1st of September to make the appointment.