Barry Bannan

villianusa

No personal dislike for the guy and at times I felt he had talent, that was unfortunately dwarfed by his a ability to hide when the going got tough and generally be a bit of a pussy on the pitch. Didn't have the fight to be in our first team and I suspect that Palace fans will be saying the same thing soon too.

Good luck Barry.

That's not true at all. He never hid and he put in some tackles. Let's check his Squawka stats for last season:

http://www.squawka.com/players/barry-bannan#performance-score#aston-villa-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#by-match

He won one Squawka award for "best defence" in the team, made 36 tackles (22 successful), and 34 interceptions. That's more than 1 tackle and interception a game.

In comparison to a central defensive midfielder - Delph, who played the same minutes as Bannan - Delph got 68 interceptions and 56 tackles (43 successful). However, Delph created 13 chances to Bannan's 34. My guess is we are keeping Delph because he can improve his chance creation/goalscoring more than Bannan can improve his defensive work.

He's gone.

It_s_Gonna_Be_Ok.jpg

• Like 2

No personal dislike for the guy and at times I felt he had talent, that was unfortunately dwarfed by his a ability to hide when the going got tough and generally be a bit of a pussy on the pitch. Didn't have the fight to be in our first team and I suspect that Palace fans will be saying the same thing soon too.

Good luck Barry.

That's not true at all. He never hid and he put in some tackles. Let's check his Squawka stats for last season:

http://www.squawka.com/players/barry-bannan#performance-score#aston-villa-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#by-match

He won one Squawka award for "best defence" in the team, made 36 tackles (22 successful), and 34 interceptions. That's more than 1 tackle and interception a game.

In comparison to a central defensive midfielder - Delph, who played the same minutes as Bannan - Delph got 68 interceptions and 56 tackles (43 successful). However, Delph created 13 chances to Bannan's 34. My guess is we are keeping Delph because he can improve his chance creation/goalscoring more than Bannan can improve his defensive work.

And if you believe stats we were all over Liverpool last week and should have won easily. I tend to believe my eyes rather than stats Con. I watched him many times and when ever the going got tough Barry disappeared.

Still it doesn't matter now as the boy has left. Good luck to him.

Good luck Barry.

And if you believe stats we were all over Liverpool last week and should have won easily. I tend to believe my eyes rather than stats Con. I watched him many times and when ever the going got tough Barry disappeared.

Still it doesn't matter now as the boy has left. Good luck to him.

When the going got tough he started against QPR and Reading and we won both matches, dominating the ball possession, coming back from a goal down each time.

Last season our biggest weakness was left-back. Bannan was not a defensive player so perhaps we missed a defensive player when we had a lot of injuries but he generally was a positive not a minus to team performance.

When the going got tough he started against QPR and Reading and we won both matches, dominating the ball possession, coming back from a goal down each time.

Please remind us which division those two teams play in now?

• Like 2

If his crosses were so effective last season, why did none of them lead to goals?

We had one of the best strikers in the league leading the line who is 6'3.

First off, one of his crosses did lead to a goal, his cross to Clark who scored against Newcastle.

A lot of crosses in his 18 starts nearly lead to goals. I remember the Benteke header against Liverpool and the Baker header against Southampton (whipped in corner, header hit crossbar). Bannan was unfortunate his chances weren't converted so he didn't get more assists, although on Fantasy Premier League he is credited with 2 assists.

Please remind us which division those two teams play in now?

Remind me who sent them down there ;) 

I'd like to personally thank you Con.  Nobody could see what you were doing but actually you were doing a great sales pitch on Bannan.  You too think he's shite but all along you were saying some ridiculously silly stuff trying to big him up and get him sold

It worked so thanks 

• Like 3

Is it done? Fully confirmed?

If so can we lock this thread for good and consign it to the history books?? Pwetty pwease?

Done, confirmed and he's on a plane back to Scotland for internationals

Edited by P3te