Barry Bannan

villianusa

Still waiting for a simply answer to a very simple question I've asked 3 times now Con.

No Bannan hasn't been a captain yet. That doesn't prove he can't be a captain. As I said, Clark was captain. No reason for Bannan to be a captain too.

Now see that wasn't so hard was it but you did your very best to avoid answering the question.

You are right, the fact he hasn't been a captain yet doesn't mean he can't be but it does rather mean that he perhaps hasn't shown the required character or leadership to be a captain. Wouldn't you say?

You make it sound like Bannan has only played for Villa, yet he played for Celtic at youth level, Derby, Blackpool, Leeds, Villa, Scotland Under 21's and Scotland. Yet he has never captained a side which you now finally admit.

So I'm curious to know what you see in him, given that you've stated several times you don't know him personally, that a whole load of managers seemingly haven't recognised in him.

And don't say he hasn't been a captain due to age because that just doesn't cut it.

Why would he captain a side where he was on loan? That doesn't make sense at all, so out of your list of clubs only two are possibly relevant.

We don't know for sure whether he was or wasn't captain in Celtic youth. Not an expert on his history. 

Bannan doesn't have

- Pace

- Power

- Heading

Bannan does have (on his best form)

- world class crossing

- world class set pieces

- superb playmaking

- excellent tempo-setting passing "spreading the play"

- great ball control

- great positioning awareness (e.g. run up to goal against Reading where he was only one moving in the penalty area)

- decent skill moves

Bannan is not bad at but could improve

- Tackling

In sum, Bannan is a continental style footballer which are rarely produced in UK. The only reason we think he's not so good is because this continental style footballer is attempting to play in a non-continental league, which is much harder, takes much more time. Once he does, the potential will be realised.

Does anybody remember our 4-1 win against Man United reserves  with a brilliant hatrick from from Bannan. There's no way you can do that if you are crap.

Yes. It was almost 3 years ago and not in first team football which means much like Delfounesso's goals outside the first team, it is largely irrelevant.

Yes its not relevant I agree, but I just making the point he isn't crap. He's somewhere between what Con thinks of him and what many on here think of him.

Bannan captained the team against Portland Timbers, I believe in last seasons friendly.

I have seen Bannan animated on the field, against QPR when we almost conceded just after Benteke scored, Bannan was screaming at the right back to concentrate as he was beaten easily by Hoilett. He does get vocal from time to time and he does work hard so I can see the point about him being a good leader.

• Like 1

Stick a '0' on the end of that you find the price his next club will get for flogging him to a Champions League side, if he isn't bought by a Champions League side this time.

You are sir gary cahill and I claim my two internets.

• Like 1

Bannan captained the team against Portland Timbers, I believe in last seasons friendly.

I have seen Bannan animated on the field, against QPR when we almost conceded just after Benteke scored, Bannan was screaming at the right back to concentrate as he was beaten easily by Hoilett. He does get vocal from time to time and he does work hard so I can see the point about him being a good leader.

Future scotland captain then i guess

Still waiting for a simply answer to a very simple question I've asked 3 times now Con.

No Bannan hasn't been a captain yet. That doesn't prove he can't be a captain. As I said, Clark was captain. No reason for Bannan to be a captain too.

Now see that wasn't so hard was it but you did your very best to avoid answering the question.

You are right, the fact he hasn't been a captain yet doesn't mean he can't be but it does rather mean that he perhaps hasn't shown the required character or leadership to be a captain. Wouldn't you say?

You make it sound like Bannan has only played for Villa, yet he played for Celtic at youth level, Derby, Blackpool, Leeds, Villa, Scotland Under 21's and Scotland. Yet he has never captained a side which you now finally admit.

So I'm curious to know what you see in him, given that you've stated several times you don't know him personally, that a whole load of managers seemingly haven't recognised in him.

And don't say he hasn't been a captain due to age because that just doesn't cut it.

Why would he captain a side where he was on loan? That doesn't make sense at all, so out of your list of clubs only two are possibly relevant.

We don't know for sure whether he was or wasn't captain in Celtic youth. Not an expert on his history. 

Bannan doesn't have

- Pace

- Power

- Heading

- world class crossing

- world class set pieces

- superb playmaking

- excellent tempo-setting passing "spreading the play"

- great ball control

- great positioning awareness (e.g. run up to goal against Reading where he was only one moving in the penalty area)

- decent skill moves

Bannan is not bad at but could improve

- Tackling

In sum, Bannan is a continental style footballer which are rarely produced in UK. The only reason we think he's not so good is because this continental style footballer is attempting to play in a non-continental league, which is much harder, takes much more time. Once he does, the potential will be realised.

For a player with 1 assist all season, yeah, world class....

That guy must be trolling? Surely? Bannan and world class are not things that go together.

Yeah, he is. Usually you have to have done something to be classed as "world class", but he has done **** all.

I think if Bannan got his act together off the field, he could be a decent little player.

Con - you entertain me - but your opinion is bordering on insane.

Edited by Woodytom

- half decent crossing

- alright set pieces

- average playmaking

- the ability to pass a yard

- adequate ball control

- a small degree of awareness

- no skill moves

Fixed your post for you.

I was at that game. Bannan played well and had one shot which was like a laser, incredible shot.

But.. it was Portland....

I would love to see Bannan & Ireland in MLS, they would do very well. Genuinely dont know if the premier league is for them though...

He wouldn't ever be a bad choice as captain in one off games as he tries to dictate play and is fairly vocal. But as a permanent club captain, the role comes with other off field responsibilities, such as, you have to be a model professional at all times. He might fail on that one now, but who knows in a few years...

I think he needed a good season this year, but it didn't happen for him. I fear he's blown his chances and might find himself being moved on. He just wasn't creative enough, in the real world sense of the term. No amount of ambiguous numbers on a sheet of paper showing key passes or crossing stats can paper over the fact he wasn't actually an effective creative or otherwise attacking threat on the pitch. 1 assist 0 goals.

Does he deserve another chance? I'm 50/50 on that, but at 23 he's running out of time. Will he get another chance from PL? It doesn't look likely at this time.

You do realise you are using an example of him scuffing a sitter onto the post as an example of why he is 'world class', right?