Barry Bannan

villianusa

He, alongside N'Zogbia and Delph were our three best players tonight I thought. Not saying he was outstanding, but did well. The abuse he got in the stands FOR KEEPING THE BALL, honestly there was no "hollywood" balls as you all like to harp on about, tonight and it was a disgrace. 

And yes, I was at the game. 

but you know its normal to abuse Bannan as its easy. most of other players do a lot worse but people will still blame Bannan

He, alongside N'Zogbia and Delph were our three best players tonight I thought. Not saying he was outstanding, but did well. The abuse he got in the stands FOR KEEPING THE BALL, honestly there was no "hollywood" balls as you all like to harp on about, tonight and it was a disgrace. 

And yes, I was at the game. 

There's absolutely no excuse for it. I find the treatment Bannan gets is awful, people shout at him for trying a long ball, people shout at him for passing it normally. The kid can't win. I cant understand why people think he's so bad and hate him so much. He's no worse then any other player, but no one gets abuse like Bannan does.  I always imagine the people who constantly slag this kid off are the same ones who boo when we pass it around the back and to the keeper, then boo when we hoof it up to Benteke.

Edited by PieFacE

Look at this heat map of the WB game. Bannan was playing sub for Delph from about 50 min in the second half.

34g3kad.png

Remember Bannan was blamed for the result? "Weak and bullied in midfield?" That's a myth.

We were not dominated in CM. We didn't lose the game because we were "bullied" or did not control the midfield.

What's happened - what the heat map proves - they got in behind on our flanks.

That's tactics, which is the responsibility of the manager choosing 343 over 442, and the quality of WBs playing the WB system - they're not getting forward to support the attack (like Ridgewell is), keeping the ball at the other end so they can't attack our flanks.

Edited by Con

I don't remember anyone blaming Bannan for the result, rather just observing that he was shit.

Con, you're increasing becoming a parody of yourself with these stats and now a heat map, what next, a dendrogram?

Sorry, the opposite is true. It's 2013 now Dr_Pangloss and the game's changed.

Until whoscored.com and squawka.com existed sharing high-quality match data and statistics for free, all football fans could do to judge players and performances was

* listen to what the manager said

* read what the journalists said

* think about what they remembered from watching the game

Opinions could be based on faulty memories, propaganda from the manager, agenda of the media, assertion and petty biases ... and nobody would know any different.

Now we have statistics available to test all these opinions. They are free and available to all.

They shine their own independent light on what happened during a game.

This genie is not going back in the bottle - increasingly fans will be more educated about their players from statistics and not citing them will be seen as being stupid.

Look at this heat map of the WB game. Bannan was playing sub for Delph from about 50 min in the second half.

34g3kad.png

Remember Bannan was blamed for the result? "Weak and bullied in midfield?" That's a myth.

We were not dominated in CM. We didn't lose the game because we were "bullied" or did not control the midfield.

What's happened - what the heat map proves - they got in behind on our flanks.

That's tactics, which is the responsibility of the manager choosing 343 over 442, and the quality of WBs playing the WB system - they're not getting forward to support the attack (like Ridgewell is), keeping the ball at the other end so they can't attack our flanks.

we lost because west brom came out fighting in the second half and our wimps couldnt respond as per usual

Coming up next from con

A psychic medium's insight into the mental workings of Bannan detailing his world class concentration and mental attributes

Heat maps aren't exotic, they've been available on Fifa's world cup pages for at least the last two world cups.

As for the psychology of Barry Bannan, if you want him to get forward more put a can of Tennants behind the opposition goal. If you want him to defend put a case of McEwan's behind your own net. If you want him toward the wing...

Simple stuff really. Don't blame me for not being able to understand.

Edited by Con

Just as some people use cardigans to claim Bannan is shit, Con uses statistics to hide the fact that Bannan is shit.

He's not the worst player on the team but this is his ceiling and that's what everyone knows. He's not going to get better. He is what he is, a tiny midfielder unable to tackle that can keep the game moving from side to side and that's it.

Yippee dee doo Bannan.

I'm not so sure.

Bannan has a football personality. It's not finely polished but you can tell he's trying to do something it's just he too often fails to do what he wants to do.

Being the best in the PL at crosses over half-way through the season is a great achievement. Nobody can deny him that one.

The rest of his game needs to step up.

If he wants to be the next Leon Britton his passing accuracy needs to improve significantly from 80%, which means making fewer silly mistakes.

Why on earth would he want to be the next Leon Britton?

Great professional. An influential player in the Swansea team last year and this year. Very tidy. 92% pass accuracy. Links up play, helps the team to keep possession until an opportunity to attack appears.

For a possession player Bannan's 80% pass accuracy is - to be honest - woeful. He's criticised for his crosses, which he is best in the PL at, but the simple pass which can be the staple of his footballing career is letting him down.

Trying too hard, possibly.

Edited by Con

There's absolutely no excuse for it. I find the treatment Bannan gets is awful, people shout at him for trying a long ball, people shout at him for passing it normally. The kid can't win. I cant understand why people think he's so bad and hate him so much. He's no worse then any other player, but no one gets abuse like Bannan does.  I always imagine the people who constantly slag this kid off are the same ones who boo when we pass it around the back and to the keeper, then boo when we hoof it up to Benteke.

So much this.

People also dont seem to understand that Lambert is telling him to do these things. He doesn't just go out there on game day and play however he feels, hes following orders.

Also if I actually have to list the players who give a shit about the team and make an effort Bannan would be in my top 5 for both.

Edited by AndyM3000
  • Like 1