Barry Bannan

villianusa

I think he will leave if he isn't going to be getting consistent games here.

I remember him saying in an interview that this season is make or break for him and if he isn't getting first team football he will move on elsewhere.

If we sign proper midfielders to take his position he will soon get frustrated and leave imo.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

I thought Bannan's execution was poor all game, tried to get involved but there was really no quality from him.

Allow me to try and answer that, as I have been watching football for 20 years now so I think im reasonably qualified to say what's up with bannans game, the problem us that

Bannan just isn't very good at playing football.

I think Bannan falls into that category of lads in and around our first team that are quite well LIKED by the fans, and well liked in the dressing room, but have no real genuine quality that will take us forward in the long term.

Chris Herd I believe you could put in that category as well. And probably Clark and Lichaj.

I think he will soon find himself out for good when Westwood settles down and if anyone else comes in. He definitely will if (as I still hope) El-Ahmadi starts to pick up a bit.

I think he will soon find himself out for good when Westwood settles down and if anyone else comes in. He definitely will if (as I still hope) El-Ahmadi starts to pick up a bit.

Any stats to back this up?

Bannan is our most successful midfielder this season. 18/19 points with him on the pitch in the Prem.

He has a higher key pass rate than Westwood and a lower dispossession rate. He also makes tackles at a higher rate than Westwood (27 in 1289 minutes compared to 19 in 1013 minutes)

Out of the two midfielders Bannan creates more opportunities, loses the ball less often and makes more tackles.

Fact.

Yet consistently people come on here and assert "get rid" as if that is the final argument.

Were these the same people saying Weimann was no good? I knew Weimann would be awesome. People who know me know I've been urging him to start from the start of the season.

There is no reason to get rid of Bannan not least because he is a 'home grown' player and is still improving.

Edited by Con

No stats really and I've been quite pleased with how he's played this season.

But I just feel Bannan has already been here a while and will always struggle to stamp his name on the first team sheet.

He'll move on if players like Stephens come in and find themselves ahead of him.

No stats really and I've been quite pleased with how he's played this season.

But I just feel Bannan has already been here a while and will always struggle to stamp his name on the first team sheet.

He'll move on if players like Stephens come in and find themselves ahead of him.

He's only played 50% time available in midfield for Premiership matches but he has played the most minutes of any CM midfielder.

If any one of our midfielders cannot complain about game time it is Bannan.

His only reason to move would be greater ambition than Villa. He must know how good he is, and the results the team get when he plays, so he must feel as though he has proven himself as a more regular starter than he already is.

If Stephens comes in he will be an added dimension as he is not the same kind of player as Bannan.

If we just got Stephens he'll provide competition for Ireland and Delph.

If we got Coutinho from Inter, he'll provide competition for Bannan.

Edited by Con

Modern football in a nutshell.

Not really, just how Con likes to view the game. I find it quite an interesting read. Personally I never look at statistics aside from the score, I've even learnt over the years that shots and shots on target are largely irrelevant when trying to judge the pattern of a game without having actually watched it. But it's a nice aside from the usual bitching.

Keep it up Con.

Any stats to back this up?

Bannan is our most successful midfielder this season. 18/19 points with him on the pitch in the Prem.

He has a higher key pass rate than Westwood and a lower dispossession rate. He also makes tackles at a higher rate than Westwood (27 in 1289 minutes compared to 19 in 1013 minutes)

Out of the two midfielders Bannan creates more opportunities, loses the ball less often and makes more tackles.

Fact.

Yet consistently people come on here and assert "get rid" as if that is the final argument.

Were these the same people saying Weimann was no good? I knew Weimann would be awesome. People who know me know I've been urging him to start from the start of the season.

There is no reason to get rid of Bannan not least because he is a 'home grown' player and is still improving.

I think the whole 18/19 points with Bannan on the pitch is a weak argument. He's the midfielder who has played the most in our entire team.

What classifies as a key pass? Is the higher tackle rate tackles in total or successful tackles? Is the dispossession rate all over the pitch, middle of the pitch etc?

Indeed good work Con. It's certain for me people seem to have an agenda against wee Barry as it's obvious he is one of our better players....we are generally totally inept without him. Watch his performance vs Liverpool please, detractors.

Edited by supernova26

Indeed good work Con. It's certain for me people seem to have an agenda against wee Barry as it's obvious he is one of our better players....we are generally totally inept without him. Watch his performance vs Liverpool please, detractors.

Watch his performance against wigan too then. There's no "agenda" against barry here, just debate about what he brings to the team, and for me, at the age of 23/4, with experience of playing for the last 3 years at this level, plus the blackpool promotion experience, I dont think he does enougj for us, personaly.

We are quite a poor side, I think we can all agree on that at least. Yet when we try and discuss who are the weak links and where the problems lie people defending all of our players and the manager as well. It doesn't really make sense that they can all be good yet we are so poor.

I think there are about 4 or 5 regular starters who are not good enough if we want to be a top half side and Bannan falls into that category for me. He is actually pretty old now as well so he's not really going to develop massively from here. He could be a squad player but would never get a start in any of the top ten sides in this league.

For anyone one twitter, follow @AVFC_stats. Their last tweet about Bannan was after the Stoke game. It read.....

“@AVFC_Stats: Barry Bannan has misplaced more passes than any other Villa midfielder this season, with 93 going astray thus far

He's not good enough.