Barry Bannan

villianusa

We need to **** off the likes of Ireland from the team and slowly phase out Petrov who is on his last legs. Bannan has a big part to play in our evolution to a passing , technical style of play.

All the bollocks about being too small phsyically to make it in this league , I present to you Cesc Fabregas and Jack Wilshere. Technique is what its all about .

Next season

NRC and Bradley - Options for DM

Bannan , Makoun , Bradley - Options for CM.

--------------Bradley---------------

------Makoun----------Bannan-----

Playing bannan in AM will be a waste as he will receive a lot more attention from opposition defenders and won't have time and space on the ball.

Play him deeper where he can het on the ball under less pressure and use his expansive range of passing to great effect.

I don't see Bannan going anywhere myself. To me its pretty clear what GH is doing, rebuilding our central midfield which has been our achilles heel for years as despite having the players we have never quite got it right.

Next season our principal central midfielders will be: Makoun, Delph, Bannan, Bradley and with Gardner starting to be phased in with Hogg as back up.

I like NRC but based on who we have signed I think GH has replaced him. Petrov may still be around but I think he will se seen as a safe substitute so he will probably go. Ireland will not come back to us post loan. Osbourne will not get a new contract and neither will Salifou. Pires will have retired. Herd I think is too old now and I suspect will be sold despite being an OK player.

The one player we are all forgetting is Daniel Johnson who we pinched off Palace. Only 19 and deemed to be a very fine prospect but I've never seen him play. Don't even know if he is a centre midfielder.

Anyway back OT I think Bannan is a key player for GH.

We need to **** off the likes of Ireland from the team and slowly phase out Petrov who is on his last legs. Bannan has a big part to play in our evolution to a passing , technical style of play.

All the bollocks about being too small phsyically to make it in this league , I present to you Cesc Fabregas and Jack Wilshere. Technique is what its all about .

Next season

Playing bannan in AM will be a waste as he will receive a lot more attention from opposition defenders and won't have time and space on the ball.

Play him deeper where he can het on the ball under less pressure and use his expansive range of passing to great effect.

im not sure anyone has an issue with his size, im not sure he'll get the game time at villa that he'd want. Id also send him out on loan for a year, he needs to play games to properly develop, hes not good enough to be doing that in our side yet IMO and wont get good enough if hes not playing regularly. Very few players move from the youth team to the first team as they seek regular first team football.

Next season

I agree with that, although i do disagree with the bit I bolded. For me he isn't even close to Wilshere and Fabregas technically and thats why he may struggle but I think If he plays in the hole his size wont be an issue

Not sure about people touting Bannan for a role in attacking midfield. Most of his successes so far have come from operating as a deep-lying play maker. The kid has undoubted tallent, perhaps more so than any of our Youngsters, but finds it difficult to impose himself on the game at times. Put him in Young's position and he'd struggle to get the ball at all.

Not sure about people touting Bannan for a role in attacking midfield. Most of his successes so far have come from operating as a deep-lying play maker. The kid has undoubted tallent, perhaps more so than any of our Youngsters, but finds it difficult to impose himself on the game at times. Put him in Young's position and he'd struggle to get the ball at all.

He played in that position in one of the cup games, and you are right, he looked completely lost.

Playing him on the wing sometimes isn't a bad option, it gives him game time and it not such a critical position when/if he gives the ball away. In that cup game he looks decent when he was moved onto the wing, and playing for Scottland he did as well.

HE might still be waiting to drive his new Range Rover Sport on the roads around Birmingham.

But just a few weeks ago his face was an ever-present at one of Europe's busiest road links in the city.

Barry Bannan's picture was plastered across huge billboards at Spaghetti Junction to help advertise tickets for the Aston Villa v Sunderland clash.

But he's not naive enough to think that he's cracked it as the poster-boy for Scotland's future just yet.

Life for the little midfielder has changed massively since breaking into Villa's first team.

But he reckons it might not have gone just as well without his call-up against the Faroes in November.

The 21-year-old is still getting his head around what being a regular in the Premier League means off the pitch.

But he also knows forging a Scotland career is about more than just his great solo display during the 90 minutes of that friendly at Pittodrie.

Bannan, in the squad for the Carling Nations Cup, said: "It's unbelievable to get another call-up for Scotland.

"I did all right in the last game but that doesn't mean I've suddenly made it.

"I'm joining up with this Scotland squad still with a lot to prove.

"I've got to show to the other boys that I deserve to be there again and I'm looking forward to that challenge.

"I just want to show what I can offer to the Scotland national team.

"After the Scotland game I felt on top of the world. I felt as if I could do anything. My confidence was sky high. That really helped me carry on doing well with Villa.

"Since I've broken into the Villa team things have changed loads for me off the park though. It's crazy.

"My picture was up on billboards at Spaghetti Junction a few weeks ago advertising our game with Sunderland.

"I was getting mates texting me asking what my ugly face was doing there!

"When I'm walking around town with my missus it's mad because you can tell people are looking at you.

"Before you'd walk through without anything happening but now people are talking about you and it's strange.

"I think I've taken it well though and I won't let it go to my head. Nothing like that will change me. I'm just a boy from Coatbridge."

Bannan might have been an ever present on the main roads of Birmingham, but he's still to get behind the wheel on them.

He said: "I've still not passed my driving test after failing it the last time.

Advertisement

"But I've not given up because I've got myself a nice car, which my missus is driving. It's a Range Rover Sport but she's getting looks from passers-by because she's behind the wheel.

"I've got a date for my test but I'm not going to say when it is this time after I failed the last one! All I'll say is it's in the next couple of months!"

Gerard Houllier's arrival at Villa Park saw Bannan handed the chance he'd craved under predecessor Martin O'Neill, who had always told him he was too small to make it.

Now the veteran French boss is using his experience to wrap his starlet in cotton wool.

First he told the energetic Bannan to calm his play down at times, then he left him out for his own good.

As much as Bannan has hated sitting on the sidelines, he knows it'll benefit him in the long run.

Bannan said: "Obviously I'm going to listen to the gaffer and try and add what he tells me to my game.

"But it wasn't as though he was telling me I had to do this or that. It was just a little pointer.

"If I don't go full throttle that can be when I get caught out by bigger and more physical players.

"But I know what he's saying and going at different paces can help catch players unaware so it's intelligent stuff.

"I'm going to try it out and see how I get on. If it doesn't work out then I'll just go back to how I normally play.

"It's hard to take not playing even though it is probably helping me. He's trying to protect me in a way so when I get my games I'm a lot fresher.

"I've just got to keep working hard so when that chance comes I'll be ready to take it.

"The manager tells me to watch the likes of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta to try and learn extra things from them."

Bannan now shares a dressing room with former Arsenal star Robert Pires.

He added: "When you're training and playing alongside players like him you're only going to get better. I've been so lucky he came here.

"It was pretty weird seeing him come through the door that first morning but now he's just one of the boys."

http://tinyurl.com/6dkg7oz

"In all seriousness Franco Baldini asked what nationality Bannan was after #avfc away at Fulham in November. That's true."

Matt Kendrick on Twitter.

Did he get any minutes for Scotland tonight?

He did OK from open play. Not great. He played in the centre of midfield and I thought the game kind of passed him by for periods. Had that good free kick malarky mentioned but didn't make the impact that he had against the Faroes. I think he's better as a starter than as a sub.