Barry Bannan

villianusa

It's unbelievable really to think that MON was going to ship this lad out!

so true, I supported MON just like i support Houllier because i support the Villa (which i support through thick and thin) but i have to say if there's one good outcome to his departure then this is it, rather have bannan and be mid-table for one season imo.

Just can't get my head around loosing such a class player..crazy.

It's unbelievable really to think that MON was going to ship this lad out!

Wasn't it on loan? Which I think would have been good for him as he shouldn't be playing regular football for us and only is due to injuries.

I don't see how a year of premiership experience at another club would be a bad thing.

If I'm wrong and MON did want to sell him then yes that would have been a poor decision.

I personally wouldn't have him above Delph from what I've seen so far, Petrov, Coker are different players but it really does depend on game and situation.

It'd be nice to have some options mind.

dont understand the love in with Delph, can remember one of two good performances. The rest were very unmemorable. Bannan for me has been a lot more consistent than Delph ever was.

^^Agree. The point about Bannan is that he is with us and performing OK week in week out (Though still a lot to learn IMO).

Delph is still a dream of what might be, and we shall have to see what he can actually do when he gets fit. My main memory is of a series of rash tackles that got him booked a lot.

I personally wouldn't have him above Delph from what I've seen so far, Petrov, Coker are different players but it really does depend on game and situation.

dont understand the love in with Delph, can remember one of two good performances. The rest were very unmemorable. Bannan for me has been a lot more consistent than Delph ever was.

I agree with POB.

I really like Bannan but I've seen more from Delph. The only part of Delph's game that needs work is his tackling and general experience of the Prem, imo.

Bannan is good on the ball, has a good pass and good vision of the game as a whole.

But, imo, Delph is better on the ball, is just as good at passing, has pace, vision and, from what I've seen of him, more clinical shooting.

I like them both and it's good to have some good youngsters coming through. If we can keep them both, as well as Gardner/ Albrighton/ Clark etc, then we could have a really good squad for years to come!

I agree with POB.

I really like Bannan but I've seen more from Delph. The only part of Delph's game that needs work is his tackling and general experience of the Prem, imo.

Bannan is good on the ball, has a good pass and good vision of the game as a whole.

But, imo, Delph is better on the ball, is just as good at passing, has pace, vision and, from what I've seen of him, more clinical shooting.

I like them both and it's good to have some good youngsters coming through. If we can keep them both, as well as Gardner/ Albrighton/ Clark etc, then we could have a really good squad for years to come!

Agreed. Slightly different players IMO. Both have excellent ball retention but they do appear to me to be slightly different:

- Delph has a bit more physical presence for me and his tackling appeared to have calmed down a bit as well in the last few games he played. He is better at creating space for himself and makes more driving runs.

- Bannan has a superior range of distribution, like the ball to Albie against Fulham and is probably, from the limited I have seen (and this seems to be backed up by players' comments), the better footballer technically.

I don't see either of them competing with Stan and NRC as I see them as complimentary i.e. I would play:

--------------- NRC/Stan ----------------

-------------------- Bannan/Delph ------

---------- Ash/SI ------------------------

depending upon the opposition/form/injuries etc.. But it is good to have options/subs etc. this season.