Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can asking £20M for Downing, when they've paid £20M for Henderson - possibly be construed as "being held for ransom"??!!!

IIRC AM said in meeting with fans that SD wasn't for sale, unless they got a stupid offer for him, so if Villa have quoted

LFC a price at all, which I doubt.... then I expect it to be considerably more than £20M.

As Wainy so eloquently puts matters ...... they have two choices.

If they want to be stupid and claim we are being unreasonable then stop negotiating. We don't owe it to Downing to try to sell him. He owes us if anything. We deserve at least another season with him.

What a ridiculous turn of phrase - "held to ransom" - anyone would think that we approached them asking if they would please buy Downing. Maybe we should offer them £5m for Reina (was struggling to think of a Plop player that I would actually want now Stevie G is crocked) and then criticise them for holding us to ransom when they ask for more! He really is a typical yank moron - sorry RL and YIM!

Held to random hey, do people even know what that means nowadays? As has been said we dictate the price you pay it or you naff off.

It means nothing. It's just become tabloid speak for club 'x' saying they won't pay over the odds to club 'y'. We haven't kidnapped one of their players. If we have quoted a price to Liverpool then offering half that figure and saying "we won't be held to ransom you know" means nothing.

Interesting!

Just found this which is interesting for a few reasons

LINK: http://tinyurl.com/6xnuwhl

John W Henry has warned that Liverpool will not be held to ransom this summer as they attempt to bolster Kenny Dalglish's squad.

The club still intend to sign Aston Villa's Stewart Downing and Blackpool captain Charlie Adam but the inflated prices on British players means they may look abroad for other targets. They will also have to offload some players.

I guess them paying over the odds for Carrol and Henderson has nothing to do with that, then?

Scousers lol :lol:

I don't think Downing will leave now unless he hands in a transfer reuqest which i doubt he will do as he will lose out on alot of money ( his agent surely wouldn't allow that).

Fair play to AM and Villa setting a really high price and sticking too it. Wish we had done the same for Milner...asked for £50m or something, thing is MCFC would havbe probably payed it as well :)

Arsenal are ready to make a £20m move for Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing.

Arsenal are ready to make a shock £20million move for Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing.

The fact Liverpool have not, as yet, completed the recruitment of the England international has prompted the Gunners’ interest.

Manager Arsene Wenger seems resigned to losing star midfielder Samir Nasri and plans to waste no time bringing in a big-name replacement.

Downing, 26, may not be the first choice among many Arsenal fans but Wenger is determined to sign a proven Premier League player who will fit straight into his starting line-up.

Wenger is desperate to end a six-year spell without a trophy and looks to be going against his policy of bringing through the best young talent.

The potential arrival of Downing, and an experienced centre-back like Gary Cahill or Chris Samba, would mark a shift in recruitment policy which fans will welcome. Downing could provide the ammunition for another summer target Gervinho, who looks set to complete his move to Arsenal.

The England winger seems determined to leave Aston Villa as he wants to join a club challenging for silverware next season.

Although Arsenal still have a Champions League qualifier to face, Downing is desperate to play in Europe’s biggest club competition.

And with the European Championships taking place next summer, Downing knows his chances of cementing his place in the England side will improve if he is playing regular first-team football with Arsenal.

Downing has a wealth of top-flight experience and Wenger is convinced he can make him an even better player if he joins the north London club.

Villa boss Alex McLeish has already seen Ashley Young join Manchester United this summer and will be reluctant to see another big name leave.

But if Downing has got his heart set on joining a top club, McLeish will find it hard to stop him leaving for the Emirates.

Wenger hopes a deal can be finalised before the team jets off on their pre-season tour of Asia next week. And resolving the futures of Cesc Fabregas and Nasri is critical for Wenger.

Sunday Mirror

Would prefer to sell to Arsenal since they are actually in the Champions League next season (providing they negotiate the play-off round.)

And we all know how much Stewie wants to play in the Champions League...

There is not a chance Arsenal want downing. would not fit into there game. Cab take or leave Stew for me, he had a great season but best of a bad bunch??!?! if ppl are talking in excess of £15m we should bite there hands off!

There is not a chance Arsenal want downing. would not fit into there game!

How so ?

He seems a perfect fit to me. Good on the deck, knows how to pass, adds width which they need, has a bit of pace. Seems to tick all the right boxes

bothers me more seeing Cahills name on the story, I still cannot get over MON selling him n buyin Zat Knight, it wasnt as if Cahill was unknown really either he was brill season before...big clanger by MON. Anyway Downing...20 mill? id take it if hes not gonna sign a new contract, as good as he is he always shoots rather than lay the ball of for a potential tap for his team mates which frustrates me

Â